Swollen back legs

If the urate is all white that means he is well hydrated so certainly not dehydrated. The swelling certainly isn't normal and unfortunately as I've said I dont think anything the vet has done has addressed it, so it will most likely get worse. I would say he absolutely needs a blood test to see if his uric acid levels are high (which would support a gout diagnosis that is likely the case in my opinion and experience) but if you wait too long there's more likely to be toxicity from kidney damage and subsequent issues and failure of the kidneys long term. because the kidneys filter uric acid out, if he has gout then he most likely has kidney issues too which can cause things to go downhill fast, especially in chams as they are so good at hiding when they are sick. Without another vet visit and diagnosis with a good treatment plan then there's not much we can help with other than any husbandry issues.
I’m not sure what caused the initial swelling, but since the vet visit the swelling has gone down significantly and his legs look normal. He is mobile and does not seem to be in any pain. He’s eating normally and he’s his normal happy self. Though reading this does make me very concerned and I love my chameleon more than anything, at this point there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with him and the vet agrees. I will continue to monitor him VERY closely and take him into the vet for a blood test at the very first sign of anything abnormal. For the time being I don’t want to put him through that stress again if it is nothing. I’m just going to continue to do what I think is best for him. Thank you so much for all your input and concern and I will most definitely take it into consideration. But his legs look normal again and if it was gout wouldn’t it only continue to get worse??

Back
Top Bottom