Switched from 1/2" to 3/4" crickets...

Lunatuck

Established Member
I was giving Cosmic 1/2" crickets and he was eating a ton. I'd say about 15-20 per day. He had also been growing like crazy.

Because he grew, I started using 3/4" crickets. He's dropped to about 8-10 a day. Is this about correct? I know by weight, he's getting about the same amount, but he's bigger now.

Also, some of the 3/4" crickets are growing wings. I buy them every 2 weeks, and at the end of the 2 week period, some are fully matured. Should I avoid feeding him adults? I've read there are some issues with them.

A couple weeks ago, it seemed as if his growth slowed. A few days ago, he shed. Now, he appears to be back into a growth spurt. In general, he's growing so fasat, you can almost notice day to day without weighing him.

Just under 5 months, but he appears to be growing faster then usual. Another member here thought he was a lot older then that, but I confirmed with the breeder. So he's a large 5 month old.

Just under 5 months, but he appears to be growing faster then usual. Another member here thought he was a lot older then that, but I confirmed with the breeder. So he's a large 5 month old.
Yeah so that seems about right. My Male Veiled slowed down at about 6 months. He went from eating 15-18 a day to 10 on his own. As long as he is not having issues taking down the size then I would say you are good to go. Now would be a good time to start offering a variety to his diet too.

Yeah so that seems about right. My Male Veiled slowed down at about 6 months. He went from eating 15-18 a day to 10 on his own. As long as he is not having issues taking down the size then I would say you are good to go. Now would be a good time to start offering a variety to his diet too.

That's the plan. He was eating silkworms, but I can't get them consistently. May try some Dubias.

Well if you are interested this is what I do for the BSFL and Blue bottle fly spikes once they harden. I toss them into this gum container that I have hooked into the enclosure with magnets and I open the little door on the side of the lid. I put a few tiny branches in the container for the flies to climb up and dry their wings on then they fly out when they are ready. This way I do not have to mess with flies lol.

gum container.JPG

Back
Top Bottom