swallen toe and dark parts on the skin in wc melleri

Thank you so much for the answers to my questions and the links! You're the best! I am going to call my vet tomorrow, so this is perfect timing to ask him about CANV. Darn weekends slow things down.

Sad that CANV can be killing the cham while it shows its "healthy" colors, that is one more challenge to keepers observing their animals for changes. Very frustrating.

I emailed the vet and haven't heard back from him.

You said..."Thank you so much for the answers to my questions and the links! You're the best! I am going to call my vet tomorrow, so this is perfect timing to ask him about CANV. Darn weekends slow things down."...I hope all goes well tomorrow.

You said..."Sad that CANV can be killing the cham while it shows its "healthy" colors, that is one more challenge to keepers observing their animals for changes. Very frustrating"...don't know if this showing healthy colors is just a part of the "normal" chameleon way of hiding everything until its almost too late...or if, for some reason, the fungus just doesn't attract the chameleon's system's "radar" until its too late. Isn't a fungus a kind of parasitic, so maybe the system doesn't recognize it as "the enemy"? (I may be way out in left field on this!)

BTW...I admire your ability to keep Meller's! They are awesome chameleons with an unusual personality.

I took my page of notes to my vet, LOL, and here is what he said:

We don't know if this is CANV or if this is fungal and not viral. The drug he prescribed, Fluconazole, "goes into more places" than itraconazole. He believes this is a better choice than itraconazole.

I am supposed to see some results after 30 days.

On another forum, they are using miconazole (Surolan) to treat a similar-looking fungus in chameleons. It appears to be working!

the one with the swallen toe got diarrhea, he is still on a broad specter antibiotics, the toe is the same, i did some soaking in luke warm water and chlorhexidine, but its not any better yet. ill wait for one more week and then give the new antibitic for a diffrent specter of bacteria. at the momment im trying to solve the diareehea problem, she is on nutribac since today, seems a bit more weeker, i quess because of the diarrhea. ill attach some new pics soon.

hello,
im writing to post an updat on the state of my melleri that i had problems with. one of them just pased away bcoz of kidney faliture, her kidneys did not tolerate the antiparasitic medicin even if half of normal dose was given, the other one is doing just fine!

Kian, how do you know it was kidney failure that the chameleon died of? Are you sure it wasn't "parasite overload"?

Baytril may be called by its generic name, Enrofloxacin, in Europe. It is given once a day for UP TO 14 days for chameleons, other animals get it as long as they have the infection or for 21 days.

http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/jan2003/baytril/baytril.html

I'm looking at the large photo of the WC you received, and it has the same black scabs one of my WCs has- that black pebbly texture over stuck shed- in exactly the same region of the body that my WC had it. It will shed in a couple weeks. Do not try to remove it with a cotton swab, this stresses the animal out and makes it succumb further. These are not parasites, they are scabs. Here is a pic of a piece of shed that fell off with some scabs attached:

cb45f457.jpg

The scabbing is from a skin infection from the wild. I got 5 WC melleri in this summer, and one had this. She took the stress of captivity harder than the others, and the infection she harbored flared up as new, ugly, crusty lumps, all over. She's currently on Amakacin injectable because the oral Baytril did not help. She is supposed to also get an antifungal med, as soon as it arrives. My vet said that animals can have these infections and fight them at low levels for months or years. It is not contagious, just a reflection of the individual's immune system.

The vet did a Culture & Sensitivity on my WC's scabs and new sores, and found the bacteria was killed by: Baytril, Amakacin, Pipracylin, Orbax oral, Cephataxin, Ciprofloxacin oral. If you can get a dog or cat vet to prescribe your melleri any of these, you should be doing well. I will say that Baytril did not help, despite being shown as effective in the lab, and it is VERY HARD on melleri kidneys (they have unusually small kidneys for their size!). Amakacin and Pipracylin are the safest for melleri, in my experience.

*Do not give antibiotics unless the skin condition worsens (crusty yellow sores erupt) or the toe becomes extremely enflamed!* Some of the WCs, like the one that shed that piece shown above, did not have any trouble with their skin after they shed.

I'd say shower this animal 2x a day because it's parietal areas of its skull are convex, meaning dehydrated. If it stays dehydrated and gets meds, it WILL DIE SLOWLY of renal failure. It may just be sucking in its eyes in emotional stress.

As for the toe, if it is infected, soak therapy in conjunction with antibiotic therapy is preferred, but not always needed. Soaking it religiously, 2x or 1x a day, does a beautiful job. If it is just a sprain and swelling, soak it. If you can get a Chlorhexidine diacetate concentrate, use approx 2-5 drops per soak, and use a large plastic container so that the melleri can stretch out and lay down on its belly, in about 1-2" of warm water (lukewarm, not HOT). Here's a photo and a thread that shows how I soak my WCs with foot sores:

Adcon2006006.jpg

https://www.chameleonforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1518

You have to soak daily until the toe heals, and swelling stops. This may be 2 weeks to a month! Scar tissue may make the toe deformed slightly.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here, or just email me from the Melleri Discovery site. I am not a vet, but I have been working closely with my vet on what appears to be the exact same condition.

Hello do u know if this is the same problem with my Melleri ? He
Baytril may be called by its generic name, Enrofloxacin, in Europe. It is given once a day for UP TO 14 days for chameleons, other animals get it as long as they have the infection or for 21 days.

I'm looking at the large photo of the WC you received, and it has the same black scabs one of my WCs has- that black pebbly texture over stuck shed- in exactly the same region of the body that my WC had it. It will shed in a couple weeks. Do not try to remove it with a cotton swab, this stresses the animal out and makes it succumb further. These are not parasites, they are scabs. Here is a pic of a piece of shed that fell off with some scabs attached:

cb45f457.jpg

The scabbing is from a skin infection from the wild. I got 5 WC melleri in this summer, and one had this. She took the stress of captivity harder than the others, and the infection she harbored flared up as new, ugly, crusty lumps, all over. She's currently on Amakacin injectable because the oral Baytril did not help. She is supposed to also get an antifungal med, as soon as it arrives. My vet said that animals can have these infections and fight them at low levels for months or years. It is not contagious, just a reflection of the individual's immune system.

The vet did a Culture & Sensitivity on my WC's scabs and new sores, and found the bacteria was killed by: Baytril, Amakacin, Pipracylin, Orbax oral, Cephataxin, Ciprofloxacin oral. If you can get a dog or cat vet to prescribe your melleri any of these, you should be doing well. I will say that Baytril did not help, despite being shown as effective in the lab, and it is VERY HARD on melleri kidneys (they have unusually small kidneys for their size!). Amakacin and Pipracylin are the safest for melleri, in my experience.

*Do not give antibiotics unless the skin condition worsens (crusty yellow sores erupt) or the toe becomes extremely enflamed!* Some of the WCs, like the one that shed that piece shown above, did not have any trouble with their skin after they shed.

I'd say shower this animal 2x a day because it's parietal areas of its skull are convex, meaning dehydrated. If it stays dehydrated and gets meds, it WILL DIE SLOWLY of renal failure. It may just be sucking in its eyes in emotional stress.

As for the toe, if it is infected, soak therapy in conjunction with antibiotic therapy is preferred, but not always needed. Soaking it religiously, 2x or 1x a day, does a beautiful job. If it is just a sprain and swelling, soak it. If you can get a Chlorhexidine diacetate concentrate, use approx 2-5 drops per soak, and use a large plastic container so that the melleri can stretch out and lay down on its belly, in about 1-2" of warm water (lukewarm, not HOT). Here's a photo and a thread that shows how I soak my WCs with foot sores:

Adcon2006006.jpg

You have to soak daily until the toe heals, and swelling stops. This may be 2 weeks to a month! Scar tissue may make the toe deformed slightly.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here, or just email me from the Melleri Discovery site. I am not a vet, but I have been working closely with my vet on what appears to be the exact same condition.

Hello , I'm new . Do u think is the same problem with my Melleri? She/of/he eet good and drink good , but I don't know what can be , and don't have many ppl near me that know about Melleri's, do u know what can be ? Ty
image.jpg

The affected areas are typical burn locations on chameleons. Top of the knee, dorsal crest, side...very typical locations for thermal burns. Can you post a pic of your enclosure, in particularly the basking area? Also, do you know what the basking temps are for your Melleri's enclosure?

cb45f457.jpg

Adcon2006006.jpg

Hello I'm new in the forum , do u think is the same problem my Melleri have as yours? She/of/he eet good and drink good , in my place don't have ppl that know about melleri's is difficult for me , what do u tank can be? Ty fore your time
image.jpg

Hello I'm new in the forum , do u think is the same problem my Melleri have as yours? She/of/he eet good and drink good , in my place don't have ppl that know about melleri's is difficult for me , what do u tank can be? Ty fore your time

The affected areas are typical burn locations on chameleons. Top of the knee, dorsal crest, side...very typical locations for thermal burns. Can you post a pic of your enclosure, in particularly the basking area? Also, do you know what the basking temps are for your Melleri's enclosure?

Ty fore your answer :) . The temp near the lamp is about 29c the rest is 18c , not so long time a go they cud be more near the lamp ,now not anymore maby dat was the problem . So do u think is burn? Not infection? The ather don't have that .
image.jpg
View attachment 148464

I would imagine that is the case. I'm sure since you took the ability to be so close to the basking lamp away, your Melleri should not be getting any more burns.

I would imagine that is the case. I'm sure since you took the ability to be so close to the basking lamp away, your Melleri should not be getting any more burns.

Is not nice ofcourse if is born but I'm also happy is no infection of samthing ,Ty very match for your fast help , do u can see if Is boy ore girl? I know is difficult but do u see samthing ?that are my 2 melleri's
image.jpg
image.jpg

There is no easy way to sex a melleri visually. If you see one defecating watch for hemipenes. Sometimes the males will extend them slightly. I also agree the patches are thermal burns. The burns can get infected, so you do want to apply an antibiotic ointment (Silvadene is a great one) to protect the areas while they heal.

Back
Top Bottom