Surgery

Glad your horse is on the road to recovery Melric, sad to hear about yours Anne.
Best wishes to both of you .

Today was another exhausting day. I left work early because Argos had collic again. This time worse than before. He hadn't been drinking water again due to the rain and cold. I seriously thought I was going to have to put him down. He just kept laying down had me balling a bit as he struggled. I got him hydrated and he was able to pass gas. Then I trailered him to the vet and had them funnel water/oil/electrolytes into his stomach for the second time today. It was a long day of heartache, but he made it again. I'm extremely grateful to my vet! She and her partner didn't charge me this time! That was such a relief!!!

Dammit, I was just going to pm you to see how he is doing.
In a stall? Blanketed? I.V. fluids this time? Banamine should help a little, same with mash/ oil. Can they put a bucket heater in his stall so he will drink?
If you need a hand or a break I am happy to come your way and help with the shlepping. Truly, I can get around down there, did alot of horse shows your way.
NOT an idle offer
Pm me if you need help,
My horseshow got canceled this weekend due to weather, so I got nothin' but time
Anne

Thanks for the offer! You're so kind! But he is better now. He is up and standing in his stall. But, I am going to invest in a automatic water heating dispenser this Friday for sure. I can't have this happening again. It was just too much for me, and after everything I couldn't let him die after surviving, you know. The vet also said to give him electrolytes in his water that way he becomes thirsty. We are going to have to go riding together once my boy makes a full recovery. :)

He had Banamine and we didn't have to end up getting him on an IV like last time.

Okay so my sister is evil!!! Well she walked him all morning while I was at work so not so evil. But, she took pics of me and him because she thought he was going to die. I didn't even know this until after I got back from the hospital.

Attachments

• photo(13).jpg
    photo(13).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 115
He had Banamine and we didn't have to end up getting him on an IV like last time.

Okay so my sister is evil!!! Well she walked him all morning while I was at work so not so evil. But, she took pics of me and him because she thought he was going to die. I didn't even know this until after I got back from the hospital.

That picture breaks my heart :(

Colic in horses....the 2nd scare is always the most dangerous especially after surgery but I was sort of expecting this to happen as it is common after this type of surgery.

My business partner lost a young colt to colic after surgery...funny he was Palomino too and I thought of him when I saw your boy. Something about a Palomino that just melts your heart :)

I am in Riverside area as well so if you need someone to walk him or just keep you company let me know.

I lost my first horse Mandy to sand colic when I was 10 and I know what you are going through. A cold snap has come our way so maybe look at getting a blanket on him or into a stall if you can.

Dont let him go down again. If you need help please let me know. I am only about 30 mins away...

Blanket and bucket heater for sure, you do have a cold, rainy few days ahead of you. What do you think of pillow wraps w/ polos to help support his legs and help keep warmth in? Just thinking outloud. Im worried about both of you. And your sister gets a karma point!
Anne
gonna pm my # to you

I'm so glad he's okay!!! I have a palomino that looks similar. His name is Poco. It's so interesting how connected you can be with horses, it's like they know how your feeling. They are really good at picking up vibes. I loved spending hours brushing and talking to Poco when I was younger.

That picture breaks my heart :(

Colic in horses....the 2nd scare is always the most dangerous especially after surgery but I was sort of expecting this to happen as it is common after this type of surgery.

My business partner lost a young colt to colic after surgery...funny he was Palomino too and I thought of him when I saw your boy. Something about a Palomino that just melts your heart :)

I am in Riverside area as well so if you need someone to walk him or just keep you company let me know.

I lost my first horse Mandy to sand colic when I was 10 and I know what you are going through. A cold snap has come our way so maybe look at getting a blanket on him or into a stall if you can.

Dont let him go down again. If you need help please let me know. I am only about 30 mins away...
Thank you for the offer as well. If I truly need help I'll be sure to contact you. Everyone is so helpful. Owning a Palomino was my dream since I was 5 years old and I've had this guy since I was 15. I'm really sorry about Mandy.

Blanket and bucket heater for sure, you do have a cold, rainy few days ahead of you. What do you think of pillow wraps w/ polos to help support his legs and help keep warmth in? Just thinking outloud. Im worried about both of you. And your sister gets a karma point!
Anne
gonna pm my # to you
Thank you for your concern, you really have a big heart. I'll def get a blanket on him, and I have some polo's I can use. Those are awesome suggestions. He had such a burly winter coat I didn't really get him a blanket this year.

I'm so glad he's okay!!! I have a palomino that looks similar. His name is Poco. It's so interesting how connected you can be with horses, it's like they know how your feeling. They are really good at picking up vibes. I loved spending hours brushing and talking to Poco when I was younger.

Before I worked full time my horse was my kid. lol. I washed him almost daily after every ride. His hair was always braided and reaching passed his chest. Tail dragging. I pampered him! Hahaha, I miss those days before all the responsibility. I would always whistle and I think my horse loved my whistling.

I have not been without a horse for...gawd, if I said how long my age would give way, not the point. What is life without being able to nuzzle that soft part of their nose and bury your head in their necks for that amazing, one of a kind smell?
Gotta do it everyday!
My mare knows the sound of my car :)

Get a blanket on him to insulate from this weather we are having but if he has a burly coat don't let him get too hot as that will just stress his system so I wouldn't worry about the polos especially if he is in a stall.

I have not been without a horse for...gawd, if I said how long my age would give way, not the point. What is life without being able to nuzzle that soft part of their nose and bury your head in their necks for that amazing, one of a kind smell?
Gotta do it everyday!
My mare knows the sound of my car :)

True...every horse I have owned has a one of a kind beautiful, cant get enough of scent and I remember them all. I had my first pony at 5 and am now 40 and have never been without a 4 hoofed friend in my life...they are the best :)

We are two peas in a pod!
my greatest vacation was going to Germany on a horse buying excursion. Their way of life and horses is so diff from ours. Like way better.
Flew him home on KLM from Amsterdam. Great trip!

So Argos has gone from almost dead again to up and lively. Haha. I'm really happy I didn't have to put him down again. He's pooping everywhere, which is a good thing. It's really moist too. Just an update for those who wanna know. Anne ;)
Tomorrow I'm getting off work at 3 on time to go to Norco and buy all his items. No overtime for me, oh well. The city literally shuts down at 6pm. My list: Blanket, electrolytes, and water warmer. I was thinking maybe I can put a fish tank heater in a pale for him since I have two unused ones. It beats spending $300 on an automatic water warming despenser. Anyone see any issues with that?

Keep it down at the bottom, is there some way to tie it down so he can't pull it out, burn his mouth or ruin it cause he will see it as a toy?
I will go to my "horse" storage Sat. If I can find my heater I can ship it to you next day?
Hopefully our weather is gonna turn the beginning of next week and it will help him stay on track
Let me know

OMG that would be awesome!!! If you find it I work for a large company and you could drop it off at our Ventura base and they could interoffice mail it to my base in Redlands. I think it just has to be in a box or something. Or maybe the branch office because it's open to the public. I work for the gas company. :D

Cool, Dillan has Taekwondo @ 10, then I will go right to storage and see if I can find it.
Don't want to give him anything else that would cause another run to the Vet!

Back
Top Bottom