Surgery

Hi, just checking in on you and your boy.
3lb er huh? Sounds painful :(
I forget what they call those....enteriliths, bad spelling, sorry.
I think it starts with a grain of sand and just continues to grow?
I just got back from the barn and you were on my mind, keep us informed

So update on Argos. He is fine, they just called and said he needs to recover from surgery and should be released by tomorrow. He had a fever from the surgery, and they're treating him with anti-biotics.

Thanks Laurie, right after I posted that I fell asleep with my phone in my hands. Long day that day was.

Son Tiger thank you for thinking of us. It means a lot. They're called Enteroliths, but yes it starts with a grain of sand or something and turns into a giant pearl like stone.

Here is a good link for all you horsekeepers too.
http://evrp.lsu.edu/healthtips/Enteroliths-Colic.htm

Glad to hear that the surgery went well?
How did you figure out that it had colic in the first place?? I don't know enough about horses that I would have been likely to catch it unless it was quite obvious.

Glad to hear that the surgery went well?
How did you figure out that it had colic in the first place?? I don't know enough about horses that I would have been likely to catch it unless it was quite obvious.

Thank You!
Anytime a horse is laying down during the day it's a bad sign. Unless they're exhausted from a ride. He was laying down, and my mom said he rolled over twice. Rolling is usually the indicator and you want to try and prevent that. You can also tell by the way they look, they paw at the ground, they kick their legs up towards their belly, bite their belly, they look bloated. Those are usually the symptoms to look for among others.

It's all about catching it in time and getting vet help before it gets worse. It's the number 1 killer in horses.

good luck. was this the first time he's colicked? we have a horse that is prone to colic- it's a percheron.

he is a very handsome boy.

Thanks for the list of things to watch for! I have a cousin who is new to keeping horses...so I'll pass on the information!

My husband's friend's horse rolled over and had to have the surgery...but unfortunately didn't make it through the surgery. Its a shame to see this happen to them so frequently. My son painted a picture of the girl with her horse as a ghostly "shadow" standing beside her as a rememberance of the horse. The girl was pleased with it....but it still must have been so hard for her to have lost the horse. Glad to hear that yours made it!

He actually had colic 4 years ago because of dehydration. He doesn't like to drink cold water. So I called the vet today and he had colic again last night after surgery. ;( They said he hasn't been drinking water. But, what are they giving him....cold water. I should have told them about that. :(:(:( The water sits there all night in 40 degree weather and he doesn't like to drink it. I have an automatic water dispenser at home. I'm just really hoping he pulls through soon because the bill is starting to make me cry too. :eek:

And thanks Eeyore and kinyonga and everyone else for the support. I took horsemanship in high school and learned a bunch, although I've been around horses forever.

Update: My baby is home! He requires special care, but I'm up for the task. I haven't been on forums as much because of the whole issue.

Take a look at what was in his intestine. It's like a pearl, softball size, just a bunch of mineral deposits. Crazy, it takes two years to make one this size and it costs $5,600!!!!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 193
holly craoky!!:eek: that was in him! no wonder he colicked. i'd feel poorly if i had that in me too:D

well good luck with him, i know that it can be hard when a beloved pet is sick. Just keep your spirts up!!

holly craoky!!:eek: that was in him! no wonder he colicked. i'd feel poorly if i had that in me too:D

well good luck with him, i know that it can be hard when a beloved pet is sick. Just keep your spirts up!!

Cool, thank you! I'm going to be spending more time with him now that he needs the extra care.:)

Gees, he is really being put thru the ringer :(
Wonder why the vet doesn't have bucket/water heaters or why he wasn't on an I.V. drip to keep him from dehydrating.

I'm glad to hear that he is home. He certainly is a beautiful horse. With all your extra care he's sure to have a speedy recovery.

Sontiger thanks for asking. Argos is doing fine. He had colic one more time last week, but it was because he wasn't drinking water again. Other than that episode he is doing great. He's getting 5 cc's of benamine a day and plenty of rest. I've been walking him 15 min a day as directed. He is well on his road to recovery and I couldn't be more excited. I've been pretty busy at work, at home with him, my chameleon care, and the gym to be online much lately. Plus, I took the internet out of my room. Helps me keep things moving rather than just lounging at home. lol.

Wow! Thats one hell of a mineral deposit, but on the bright side, he made it out of surgery! Things could've gone much worse as >30% of colics surgeries are usually unsuccessful. If he would've had a torsion and necrotic bowel, his prognosis would've been more bleak. Glad to hear he is home and doing better! Lets just hope and pray for a full recovery. Unfortunately, he is not quite in the clear just yet.

Hang in there Argos!
Dr Ren (Vet)

Thank you for letting me know. I hate our animals suffering. My trainers sister put her new 5 yo warmblood she just bought from Europe in a turnout last friday. Left him for 10min, came back, gate open, no horse...got out on a busy street, hit by a car. Euthanized him on the spot. That was last friday.
So thank you for the pick me up. Makes me smile to know your boys gonna be ok
Anne

Wow! Thats one hell of a mineral deposit, but on the bright side, he made it out of surgery! Things could've gone much worse as >30% of colics surgeries are usually unsuccessful. If he would've had a torsion and necrotic bowel, his prognosis would've been more bleak. Glad to hear he is home and doing better! Lets just hope and pray for a full recovery. Unfortunately, he is not quite in the clear just yet.

Hang in there Argos!
Dr Ren (Vet)
It's pretty damn big. I'm glad it wasn't anything worse. Thanks for the support.

Thank you for letting me know. I hate our animals suffering. My trainers sister put her new 5 yo warmblood she just bought from Europe in a turnout last friday. Left him for 10min, came back, gate open, no horse...got out on a busy street, hit by a car. Euthanized him on the spot. That was last friday.
So thank you for the pick me up. Makes me smile to know your boys gonna be ok
Anne

That is so sad! I'm sooooo sorry!!! Poor guy! My guy actually got loose in the street once when someone fell off of him. Thank god it was a red light when he ran across a super busy intersection.

Gee guys, I really and truly love the medical talk, all my friends say I should have been a large animal Vet. Thank you for the details. I will keep Argos in my "get well " dance.
Hope you don't mind if I check in with you.

Back
Top Bottom