Surgery Aftercare

paola2mora

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but out of fear of redundancy I did try to look and see if this information is already here or elsewhere on the internet and didn't really see much.

My juvenile chameleon had surgery yesterday to remove a prolapsed hemipenis that had gone necrotic. He handled the surgery well and was active on the car ride home. The vet tech gave him his first injection of Fortaz right before we left so that I could learn how to give it to him every 3 days. I'm also to give him meloxicam every 24 hours orally, his first dose being yesterday evening.

I'm not sure if it was the antibiotic, or the drugs wearing off from surgery, or just a combination of meds and an overall rough couple of days, but by the time we got home 10 minutes later he was so weak and exhausted that he fell asleep in my arms. I'm used to dogs and cats and I remember them being high as a kite after surgery but the frailty of a small reptile going through it was alarming. It took 3 tries at over an hour each to get him to stay awake and take his meloxicam last night. He did eat one wax worm, and the vet tech said he ate 5 of them in their office, but today he doesn't want to eat.

Today he didn't seem interested at all in food or water, but after a lot of coaxing he did have quite a bit of bug juice given to him via a needle-less syringe...it was over 2 vials full. He still looks very dehydrated and I've been trying to give him fluids every hour but it's like he's still high.

He just doesn't seem like himself and I'm hoping this is a normal reaction to surgery and not a weakening of his little body from everything he's been through. He's letting me pick him up and manipulate him (like, if I need him positioned a certain way to administer medication, he doesn't struggle), and he seems to be moving extra slowly even for a chameleon. He's also happing a ton throughout the day, but it's hard to say how much sleep he got at the vet. His grip is quite strong, which I am please with...

How long should it take a chameleon to go back to normal after surgery? Is it normal for them to react like this to meds? Should he still be quite tired/loopy the day after? Is there anything else I can do to help him during recovery?

Thanks in advance!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon, about 5-6 months old, I got him in November
Handling - 0-2 times a week
Feeding - Whatever he will eat. He goes weeks refusing certain types of food and only eating 1 or 2 types. Most recently he's been refusing everything but wax worms and dubia roaches. I always try a variety...Admittedly I need to do a better job of gut loading with veggies.
Supplements - Calcium w/o D3 every other day (was doing every day but noticed he wasn't pooing), Calcium w/D3 once every other week, Multivitamin once every other week
Watering - Dripper which drips into a glass bowl, misting at least 2x a day, syringe w/o needle if he seems super dehydrated. Very stubborn with drinking.
Fecal Description - Poo is almost always dark brown and hard, urates are usually white
History - Only major medical issue since being in my care is this surgery. Had a stuck spermplug two months ago that I managed to get out without needing a vet.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Reptibreeze Open Air Screen Cage 24 x 24 x 48
Lighting - Reptisun T5 and natural light. Was using the bulbs in the starter kit for basking but when he got burned I got rid of them and thought I could get by with just a UVB and sunlight. Vet made sure I knew that this does not suffice, so I have a pack of 25 Watt incandescent bulbs and a dome light coming from Amazon that I will be using in addition to the T5.
Temperature - I use a space heater and try to keep it between 70-80, but I turn the heater off at night and it gets to about 60. (is this ok???)
Humidity - Always around 50%
Plants - Schefflera
Placement - In my "studio," I'm the only one that goes in there
Location - Pittsburgh-ish

Last night my little guy seemed to take a turn for the worst. Every hour on the hour I would try to get some water in him and he just seemed to keep fading away. Then finally at about 4am (seriously) I put his little nose under the faucet but I was so sure it wouldn't work, but it was like he woke up from his daze, drank a bit, and this morning he is fine! He's eating, climbing, and acting like nothing happened lol I was convinced he wouldn't last through the night.

I'm worried to give him his next shot, I'm thinking it might be making him loopy, but I'm glad he came out of it.

Back
Top Bottom