Suppose to be a male....

arhodes

I specifically wanted a sub-adult male panther. I got him at the end of November and he was not very colorful at all. I read that it can take a while for them to get color, but I just can't help to think that this cham is a female. Can someone help me out!

Attachments

• IMG_0918.PNG
    IMG_0918.PNG
    108.4 KB · Views: 240
  • mmmm.jpg
    mmmm.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 291
I specifically wanted a sub-adult male panther. I got him at the end of November and he was not very colorful at all. I read that it can take a while for them to get color, but I just can't help to think that this cham is a female. Can someone help me out!

Yeah, I can't see a hemipenal bulge in the pictures provided. Can you post some more pictures of your chameleon? Besides potentially not being a male, there looks like there may be some other health issues going on. Just wanted to see your chameleon from some other angles.

Yeah, I can't see a hemipenal bulge in the pictures provided. Can you post some more pictures of your chameleon? Besides potentially not being a male, there looks like there may be some other health issues going on. Just wanted to see your chameleon from some other angles.
Oh wow! Well
I'm glad I posted some pictures! As soon as I can I will get some better pictures! I hope nothing is wrong :(

Since there may be health issues, I will go ahead a fill out all the information and tomorrow morning I will hopefully get better pictures of my cham.

Nosy Be, thought it was a male and now pretty sure it's a female. I'm not sure the age, but I'm thinking around 8-9 months. I've had her/him since the beginning of December.
I have the LG XTall exoterra glass terrarium with an automatic mister. I have lights on from 6am-6pm and misting every 4 hours for a little more than 60 seconds. I have 2 real plants in the cages. Pothos and money tree with more fake plants and vines.
It's stays pretty hot in there about 90 degrees and the humidity is around 58-68ish.
I have two exoterra 13V UVB100 bulbs, 1 13V UVB200 bulb, and 1 75W basking bulb.
I feed 5 crickets a day along with two super worms and this past week I fed two hornworms.
I dust crickets everyday with calcium without D3 and every two weeks I dust crickets with calcium with D3.
I don't handle the cham throughout the week, but try and tame every weekend. I do not grab the Cham or force it out the cage. I usually have to wear a sweater and usually do not have a problem with it crawling on me then.
I will post pictures in the morning as he/she is snoozing now.

Poop looks to be normal to me, but I'm new to owning a chameleon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 199
It could be that she is too hot. 90 degrees inside an ExoTerra style enclosure can be fairly stiflingly hot. Not saying that is what I am seeing in the first pic above or not. Her colors just don't look right. I will be interested in seeing the pictures tomorrow.

It could be that she is too hot. 90 degrees inside an ExoTerra style enclosure can be fairly stiflingly hot. Not saying that is what I am seeing in the first pic above or not. Her colors just don't look right. I will be interested in seeing the pictures tomorrow.
Since I obviously haven't been the smartest chameleon owner, I haven't even set an egg laying bin because I thought she was a male! Now I feel terrible! I will definitely try and get better pics tomorrow! Also, how would I lower the temps? Do I remove the basking light or one of the UVB lights? Thank you so much for trying to help me out. I definitely want to make sure everything is correct and that she is happy and healthy!

Since I obviously haven't been the smartest chameleon owner, I haven't even set an egg laying bin because I thought she was a male! Now I feel terrible! I will definitely try and get better pics tomorrow! Also, how would I lower the temps? Do I remove the basking light or one of the UVB lights? Thank you so much for trying to help me out. I definitely want to make sure everything is correct and that she is happy and healthy!

With female panthers, you want the basking temp to be around 80-85 degrees and ambient to around mid 70's. I would lower the wattage of her basking bulb or find a way to lift it creating more distance between the bulb and screen. It shouldn't take much tweaking to lower the temp.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If a breeder sells you a chameleon that is supposed to be male.....that is what you think it is.

With female panthers, you want the basking temp to be around 80-85 degrees and ambient to around mid 70's. I would lower the wattage of her basking bulb or find a way to lift it creating more distance between the bulb and screen. It shouldn't take much tweaking to lower the temp.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If a breeder sells you a chameleon that is supposed to be male.....that is what you think it is.
Thanks again! I will definitely go get a lower wattage basking light!

Why do you have so many UVB lights in there? Are you sure they are even UVB? They are usually 5,0, 10.0 etc. What does the 100 and 200 mean??

This is "her" this morning. I also included a picture of the enclosure I have her in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg