Supplements

Jd♂️♂️

Established Member
What are the best supplements for dusting ? An the schedule for them cause apparently iam using the wrong ones my vet said these are the ones iam using

Attachments

• 1EF14E71-3B8B-414C-B5E6-4B5E4AC3DBC7.jpeg
    1EF14E71-3B8B-414C-B5E6-4B5E4AC3DBC7.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 43
There are several ways of doing the supplements. Here's what I did for many years...
It's recommended that you dust the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but one a week...on that one day each week, you alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 lightly and a vitamin powder with no D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A lightly.

For many years I used RepCal phos free calcium powder, RepCal phos free calcium/D3 powder and Herptivite...but Herptivite has no prEformed vitamin A...it has beta carotene which is prOfromed vitamin A...so the prEformed would have to be given separately, if it was needed. Some species seem to need prEformed and others seem ok without it...it's controversial.

I'm sure others will chime in with their methods.

Gutloading/feeding the insects well is important too...you want healthy insects to feed to the chameleon.

The important thing for supplements IMHO is that you provide enough without overdoing it....and being careful with the amounts so that you keep a balance and don't overdo the fat soluble ones (D3 and Preformed vitamin A) while keeping the calcium to phosphorous in balance. You need enough calcium to keep the bones and muscles, etc strong while providing enough D3 to ensure that, along with the chameleon's exposure to the UVB needed to produce the rest of the vitamin D, the calcium can be absorbed...and enough vitamin A to balance the D3.

Last edited:
I use Arcadia Calcium Pro, Reptivite (Without D3) & Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all. I believe them to be really beneficial for Chams.

There are several ways of doing the supplements. Here's what I did for many years...
It's recommended that you dust the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but one a week...on that one day each week, you alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 lightly and a vitamin powder with no D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A lightly.

For many years I used RepCal phos free calcium powder, RepCal phos free calcium/D3 powder and Herptivite...but Herptivite has no prEformed vitamin A...it has beta carotene which is prOfromed vitamin A...so the prEformed would have to be given separately, if it was needed. Some species seem to need prEformed and others seem ok without it...it's controversial.

I'm sure others will chime in with their methods.

Gutloading/feeding the insects well is important too...you want healthy insects to feed to the chameleon.

The important thing for supplements IMHO is that you provide enough without overdoing it....and being careful with the amounts so that you keep a balance and don't overdo the fat soluble ones (D3 and Preformed vitamin A) while keeping the calcium to phosphorous in balance. You need enough calcium to keep the bones and muscles, etc strong while providing enough D3 to ensure that, along with the chameleon's exposure to the UVB needed to produce the rest of the vitamin D, the calcium can be absorbed...and enough vitamin A to balance the D3.
My question is what I got is it the right supplements? Or do I need something else ?

What are the best supplements for dusting ? An the schedule for them cause apparently iam using the wrong ones my vet said these are the ones iam using
Yes these are one way to supplement. Now how are you using these three because that does make a difference.

There are many different types of supplement options. They just have to be used correctly.

Yes these are one way to supplement. Now how are you using these three because that does make a difference.

There are many different types of supplement options. They just have to be used correctly.

I do it calcium without D3 for 4 days ..then on the fifth day I use Calcium with D3 then repeat calcium without D3 for 4 days … then on the fifth day I use herptvite multi vitamin … does this seem like a good Schedule ?

I do it calcium without D3 for 4 days ..then on the fifth day I use Calcium with D3 then repeat calcium without D3 for 4 days … then on the fifth day I use herptvite multi vitamin … does this seem like a good Schedule ?
Your making it harder then it needs to be and providing the D3 too often...

It should be calcium without D3 6 days a week. Then pick a day say Saturday and you will rotate week to week on that day between the calcium with D3 and the Herptivite. So that each of these are only given 2 times a month.

Your making it harder then it needs to be and providing the D3 too often...

It should be calcium without D3 6 days a week. Then pick a day say Saturday and you will rotate week to week on that day between the calcium with D3 and the Herptivite. So that each of these are only given 2 times a month.
Ok Iam definitely start doin this do I need anything else ? Bee pollen or just what I have now ? Cause I already feed my feeders vitamin a fruits 🍉

Ok Iam definitely start doin this do I need anything else ? Bee pollen or just what I have now ? Cause I already feed my feeders vitamin a fruits 🍉
So Your multivitamin does not have preformed vitamin A in it. It has beta carotene. There is a debate within the hobby if chams are actually able to convert beta carotene to usable vitamin A. So just keep this in mind.
Supplements with preformed vitamin A is is not the same as feeding feeders high in vitamin A. And also note that you really do not want to feed heavy amounts of fruits. You want heavy on the greens. See the break down below in the amounts of each category.

Bee pollen can be added to your food for your bugs.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

So Your multivitamin does not have preformed vitamin A in it. It has beta carotene. There is a debate within the hobby if chams are actually able to convert beta carotene to usable vitamin A. So just keep this in mind.
Supplements with preformed vitamin A is is not the same as feeding feeders high in vitamin A. And also note that you really do not want to feed heavy amounts of fruits. You want heavy on the greens. See the break down below in the amounts of each category.

View attachment 323895
Ok so we on the same page I should swap out my herpitvite for a deft multi vitamin ? I understand about the gut loading with the insects

View attachment 323895
If I need to swap it out please let me know I just wann make sure iam doin everything correctly

If I need to swap it out please let me know I just wann make sure iam doin everything correctly
It is not a combo I would personally use.

You could get Repashy Calcium Plus LoD or Reptivite with D3 Version. Either of these would replace your calcium with D3 and your multivitamin. Choose one to buy. And then only give it 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Both of these multivitamins have D3 and vitamin A with other vitamins. So you only give 2 times a month and then all other feedings you would use the calcium without D3.

Back
Top Bottom