supplements for cham CONFUSED

yojon3000

ok im researching what to get for my cham and all the threads about supplements confuse me tell me if im wrong btw i will be getting a baby veiled from lllreptile
okay do i need repti cal w/d3 and repti cal without d3. is that the only supplements i need or do i need more
and when do i give it to the cham and do i powder each cricket the day i give it to him

thanks

This is the most recommended supplement schedule:
Calcium without D3 or phosphorus at nearly every feeding
Calcium with D3 every other week
Multivitamin every other week

D3 helps make up for the lack of true natural sunlight but can be toxic in excess.

I dust lightly at each feeding. I use calcium with d3 every other week and a multivitamin every other week as well, and the rest of the time I use calcium without d3. So, Monday-Saturday calcium, Sunday d3, Monday-Saturday calcium, Sunday multivitamin and begin the cycle again. You should dust immediately prior to feeding. Put the crickets in a bag, put in the dust, shake them, and feed.

The supplement schedule will be different if you keep him outdoors. But for an indoor Cham with a UVB bulb this is fine.

Reptical has D3 in it I believe. What you want is a phos.-free calcium powder like Rep-Cal and also a phos.-free calcium powder like Rep-cal with D3...and a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene source of (prOformed) vitamin A such as Herptivite. Some chameleons may need prEformed vitamin A so some people use a powder such as Reptivite once in a while to ensure that they get some. D3 from supplements and prEformed vitamin A can build up in the system so you need to be careful using them. Excess prEformed vitamin A may prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD. D3 from sunlight/UVB lights should not build up in the system as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it.

D3 calcium, phosphorus and vitamin A are important players in bone health and in other systems in the body and need to be in balance. You need to look at how much of each is in not only the supplements you use but also the gutload.

I use a wide variety of greens (dandelions, collards, kale, endive, escarole, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, zucchini, etc.) to gutload/feed crickets, locusts, superworms, etc.

Temperature is also important indirectly in nutrient absorption in that reptiles need heat to digest their food properly...and of course, exposure to UVB allows the chameleon to produce D3 to help in the calcium absorption.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom