Supplementing Schedule Questions

camimom

Ok, so I know I am supposed to dust the feeders with stuff. I have several questions.

first- is reptocal which includes calcium and vit d3 a good brand?
second- how often should I dust with it?
second a- I read on here that you should only dust with this stuff like twice a month, but the label says to do it once or twice a week.
third- is reptolife plus ( a multi-vitamin and mineral formula plus color-enhancers and antioxidants) good?
fourth- do i dust it onto the gut load stuff for the crix or what?
fifth- how often do i use it?
sixth- is there anything else I should be using to supplement with??

fyi, I have a 4-5 week old veiled male cham.

Im not sure about that brand but every day u feed your cham. Get a cup put a tiny pinch of calcium w.o d3 in the bottom, throw in your feeders and shake it up. the dust will coat them. Then about every other week use the cal w. d3 powder INSTEAD of the regular calcium. Im not sure if the reprolife plus is the right multivitamin.

Then either put the cup close to your cham or tie it to a place they can reach it. Or dump the feeders out on a leaf.

Im not sure about that brand but every day u feed your cham. Get a cup put a tiny pinch of calcium w.o d3 in the bottom, throw in your feeders and shake it up. the dust will coat them. Then about every other week use the cal w. d3 powder INSTEAD of the regular calcium. Im not sure if the reprolife plus is the right multivitamin.

Then either put the cup close to your cham or tie it to a place they can reach it. Or dump the feeders out on a leaf.

I feed him everyday. I free range the crix cuz he won't cup feed. Good to know about the without and with d3 stuff.
Thanks fro the help

Here's some information about chameleon husbandry with some links at the bottom...

Exposure to proper UVB, appropriate temperatures, supplements, a supply of well-fed/gutloaded insects, water and an appropriate cage set-up are all important for the well-being of your chameleon.

Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption. For a hatchling veiled I keep the cage temperatures more even in the low to mid 80'sF...but for male veileds that are about 5 months old the basking temperature can be in the mid to high 80'sF during the day.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/

A reputable breeder and a sponsor of this site recommends the following schedule.

Mon & Thurs: Calcium w/o d3
Tues & Fri: Calcium w/ d3
Weds: Sat: Multi vits.

I have debated the theory of this being too much, but their response was that their chams have been on this schedule for the last 10yrs. And they produce excellent chams, by far one of the best you may find in the business.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this? I know many of you think that d3 and multi vits should be twice a month, the breeder says otherwise.

Opinions?

A reputable breeder and a sponsor of this site recommends the following schedule.

I have debated the theory of this being too much, but their response was that their chams have been on this schedule for the last 10yrs. And they produce excellent chams, by far one of the best you may find in the business.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this? I know many of you think that d3 and multi vits should be twice a month, the breeder says otherwise.

Opinions?

Do you have any experience with the two brands ive been using? reptocal and reptolife plus? someone on this thread said they werent sure if the reptolife was good for chams. I just want to do everything right. I have one with cal and d3, so if the reptolife is fine, then i just need to get one w/o d3...

This is the schedule I was given by the breeder of the panther Im getting.Hope this is right

Herptivite (multivitamin with beta-carotene) - Mondays and Thursdays
Rep-Cal Calcium (calcium with and w/out vitamin D3 - depending on indoor or outdoor use) - Tuesdays and Fridays
Miner-All (calcium with essential trace minerals) - Wednesdays and Saturdays

Its not specific on how much Calcium with and without D3 for indoors only.

Opinions?

I didn't buy my cham from a breeder. I got him from a pet store that does fish and lizards. I didn't even know bout the supplments until I joined this forum...
Do you think the schedule you posted is too much for a 4-5 week old male veiled? I dont know if you can over supplement, so I don't wan tto do too mcuh for such a small, little guy. And yes I know I got him before most people sell them, but what's done is done. ANd he's doing really well, I think. Lol.
I saw him and a bunch of others in the cage at the store and just couldn't help myself. His eyes were so cute. :rolleyes: now i am addicted.

I didn't buy my cham from a breeder. I got him from a pet store that does fish and lizards. I didn't even know bout the supplments until I joined this forum...
Do you think the schedule you posted is too much for a 4-5 week old male veiled? I dont know if you can over supplement, so I don't wan tto do too mcuh for such a small, little guy. And yes I know I got him before most people sell them, but what's done is done. ANd he's doing really well, I think. Lol.
I saw him and a bunch of others in the cage at the store and just couldn't help myself. His eyes were so cute. :rolleyes: now i am addicted.

and also to Joann-

I am not too sure if it would be too much for a 4-5week Veild. The products and schedule that Joann uses is exactly the same as mines. Repcal w/ d3, Herptivite and Minerall outdoor (w/o d3). I have always received my chams when they were @least close to 12wks old. I do not see this being an issue using it on chams that young however, maybe someone else can chime in? I currently use this supplemental products and schedule for Panther chameleons; I do not see why it would be a problem for a Veild :) (I have kept Veilds in my younger naive hobbyist days and nothing compared to the products that are available now, yet they turned out okay).
Also keep in mind that when using these products, only a tiny bit is needed. Like a pinch, literally. I put my feeders in a cup, add a pinch of Supplements and shake them up. Also, as long as your gutloading your crickets, you should be fine.

You said..."I dont know if you can over supplement, so I don't wan tto do too mcuh for such a small, little guy"...Did you read my post in this thread?
"If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. "
And..."Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A".

This does get confusing doesnt it...One person says D3 twice a week and another says twice a month.There is a really big difference in those two dosages.

What are the symptoms of overdosing?

This does get confusing doesnt it...One person says D3 twice a week and another says twice a month.There is a really big difference in those two dosages.

What are the symptoms of overdosing?

it can come out of the nose sometimes if you over supplement. If your chameleon is going to get natural sunlight all the time (mine does, I live in Florida) so I cut back on the d3 that the breeder suggested a couple of times a week to a couple of times a month. Every circumstance is different. Alot of it depends on where you live, and how much outdoor time your chameleon will get, but we all know spring and summer is approaching and everyone in the country will have the opportunity to get their chams outside. The more sunlight they get, the less d3 needed. So a couple of times a month ensures they are still getting some. Too much d3 can cause organ problems but that is something that you would not know about until your chameleon starts acting ill.

it can come out of the nose sometimes if you over supplement. If your chameleon is going to get natural sunlight all the time (mine does, I live in Florida) so I cut back on the d3 that the breeder suggested a couple of times a week to a couple of times a month. Every circumstance is different. Alot of it depends on where you live, and how much outdoor time your chameleon will get, but we all know spring and summer is approaching and everyone in the country will have the opportunity to get their chams outside. The more sunlight they get, the less d3 needed. So a couple of times a month ensures they are still getting some. Too much d3 can cause organ problems but that is something that you would not know about until your chameleon starts acting ill.

I probably wont be taking my cham outside very much because he is very small and that would worry me. But I have a uvb light. I guess I will just do what was suggested on this thread

It really depends on the product. Some brands are formulated with the intention of being a monthly dose, others weekly.

Exactly. It also depends on the type of chameleon, its age and gendre, what you feed it, etc.
You may find these blog entries useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/174-whats-supplements-brand.html
and if the product you bought isnt on the list above, just read the label!

Blank, I too was given the same sched from my breeder, we probably have the same one. And all I can say is my male is super healthy, I believe happy and so I attribute that to sound breeding and knowledge.
I went to the Pomona show in Jan. and they had an amazing collection of Panthers. And she walked me around showing me what to but and from whom. Like tikitiki reptiles. Liddy was so willing to help

for a 4-5 week old that should be a good schedule, but when he gets lil older less d3 2-4 months i would did 1 time a week, and now i will be cutting back to 1 time every other week, till around 8 months then 1 time a month.
but the stuff i load my crickets with has everything he needs, i lightly dust with cal no d3 every feeding though. i like to "shake n bake" in a petco fish bag or ziplockbag.
i tryed using a harder container but i ended up with sqwished crickets or only dust on a few of them.

but i am still new and trying to learn the right way. i have always had pets that ate premade food or other "pets". this dusting and adding more is new kinda.

i also like the clear bag so i can see if they all have a lil dust or if i need to put them in another clean bag to shake some dust off. sometimes i use "ghost" crickets (caked in powder) cuz they have learned to crawl though water drops and clean themselfs before getting eaten

Last edited:
Blank, I too was given the same sched from my breeder, we probably have the same one. And all I can say is my male is super healthy, I believe happy and so I attribute that to sound breeding and knowledge.
I went to the Pomona show in Jan. and they had an amazing collection of Panthers. And she walked me around showing me what to but and from whom. Like tikitiki reptiles. Liddy was so willing to help

YES! I have a cham from SON TIGER too! And I agree that when I first got him, he was one of the healthiest chams I have ever received. I also agree 100% that Liddy and the Kammers are one of the most amazing people to work with. I keep talking about them on this forum because my experience w/ them is just O so GREAT! Here are a couple pictures of my cham from SON...do you have pictures of his sibling? The first pic is when I first got him and the second is just having him for 2 1/2 wks. Look how much color he showed in that lilttle time.

Attachments

• Blood1.jpg
    Blood1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Blood A1.jpg
    Blood A1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll stick with the orgiinally posted schedule until hes older then cut back on the d3 dustings.
I noticed the first several days I had him that he had stuff coming out his nose (white stuff) and I hadnt been supplementing yet (only because the store didn't have any in stock).
I read that that can sometimes happen with the babies.

Back
Top Bottom