Supplement debate

ChameleonTherapy

Established Member
So, I am in a discussion on a chameleon facebook group with someone who says instead of doing calcium with d3 2X/month and a multi without d3 2X/month, you can skip the calcium with d3 and just do a multivitamin with D3 2X/month.

This is different than what my breeder says and anything I have read on these forums for panthers.

Is there any reason why this should not be done to save money?

If I understand right you're talking about the supplements that are both a multivitamin and d3? Yeah some people combine them or buy a supplement with both, idt it matters much which you do.

Ill throw a monkey into the wrench. "ALL in Ones" expire a lot sooner than separates. Minerals by themselves dont deteriorate. Good ole plain calcium has a shelf life of over 5 years. You mix in some ground up vitamins, and the powder is good for 6 months to a year. Then there is the whole "what is a vitamin" since some vitamins are really hormones. Pretty sure all minerals are... minerals.

Anyways i like to keep my vitamins in one jar and my minerals in one jar. The only exception is my calcium does have a low dose d3 mixed in, but its been time tested for 25 years, and im only on my 3rd can :)

So yea feel free to have your D3/vit day come from the same jar, or at least on the same day. There is no reason to break it up.

So, I am in a discussion on a chameleon facebook group with someone who says instead of doing calcium with d3 2X/month and a multi without d3 2X/month, you can skip the calcium with d3 and just do a multivitamin with D3 2X/month.

This is different than what my breeder says and anything I have read on these forums for panthers.

Is there any reason why this should not be done to save money?
So... it's a consensus of the combined experience & wisdom of your breeder and this forum vs. one lone voice in the wilderness on FB? :unsure:

For many/most of us, a jar of Herptivite will last... years? ?‍♂️
How much money are we talking about over how long a time?

fb60e55400c94.jpg

So... it's a consensus of the combined experience & wisdom of your breeder and this forum vs. one lone voice in the wilderness on FB? :unsure:

For many/most of us, a jar of Herptivite will last... years? ?‍♂️
How much money are we talking about over how long a time?

That was my reaction too. I was just hoping to get some concrete reasons to reply with why we do things the way we do. Or you know, I could decide not to be a keyboard warrior because someone is Wrong on the Internet (tm).

I was just hoping to get some concrete reasons to reply with why we do things the way we do.
IME, most folks do things the way they do out of habit (that's the way they learned it or have always done it) or laziness (which can be the same thing), i.e. it's easier.

Change comes easier for some than others, and easier for some things than others.
OTOH, some folks can't—or never—change, even when it's in their own self-interest to do so.

"A leopard can't change its spots... but a chameleon can!"—me ?

I think for concrete reasons, you can reply with
  • economics
  • resistance to change
  • resistance to the status quo
IMO cases can be made for a lot of reasons. YMMV.

I believe that you can find correct info in certain facebook groups. This us vs them mentality is pretty lame IMO.

You can use Calcium with D3 and a multivitamin combined like Reptivite WITH D3 or Repashy Calcium plus LoD. This then is only given 2 times a month. All other feedings would be a calcium without D3.

Truth is each keeper has their way of supplementing and what they prefer to use. Depends on what they started with and what their comfort with change is as they learn. Rep cal, Repashy, Arcadia, Reptivite, Herptivite. Each bring something different to the table. We all have our preference. I won't use herptivite because it does not have preformed A yet there are many that prefer it because they started out in the hobby using it. I prefer Arcadia supplements over rep cal and others. It is personal preference.

All supplements that I have seen have a use by date. So if you have a year to use that supplement then you just put it on your calendar when you need to buy new. No different then putting on your calendar when you need a new UVB bulb.

I believe that you can find correct info in certain facebook groups. This us vs them mentality is pretty lame IMO.

You can use Calcium with D3 and a multivitamin combined like Reptivite WITH D3 or Repashy Calcium plus LoD. This then is only given 2 times a month. All other feedings would be a calcium without D3.

Truth is each keeper has their way of supplementing and what they prefer to use. Depends on what they started with and what their comfort with change is as they learn. Rep cal, Repashy, Arcadia, Reptivite, Herptivite. Each bring something different to the table. We all have our preference. I won't use herptivite because it does not have preformed A yet there are many that prefer it because they started out in the hobby using it. I prefer Arcadia supplements over rep cal and others. It is personal preference.

All supplements that I have seen have a use by date. So if you have a year to use that supplement then you just put it on your calendar when you need to buy new. No different then putting on your calendar when you need a new UVB bulb.
Yup, to each his own. Guess that's why they make more than one flavor ice cream or different colors of cars ect,ect,ect?

Back
Top Bottom