SUPERWORMS KILLING CHAMELEONS

HI GUYS NEED ADVICE ARE SUPERWORMS (MORIOS) SAFE OR MANAGEABLE FOR MY 5 MONTH OLD PANTHER TO EAT HEARD A STORY ABOUT ONE EATING ITS WAY OUT AND KILLING THE CHAMELEON ALSO ARE WAX WORMS ANY GOOD THANKS

So I have never heard that supers are not safe. The superworms should be size appropriate for your cham and should not be the bulk of your feeders. I only give two each feeding. Along with silks and BSFL. Wax worms are higher in fat and are more of a treat. You don't want to use them as a staple. They are great to use as training treats in trust building because the chams adore them. Think of them like a piece of cake. And then you want to gutload your feeders appropriately as well.
This may help you.
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg

Let's dispel one myth. Super worms cannot "eat their way out" of chameleon or any other reptile. Digestive acids in the stomach immediately begin to break down the worm, even if the pray was swallowed whole. These animals evolved to eat small critters. They can break down hard skeleton and even bones.

What is likely happening is that the reptile dies for unrelated reasons and another worm eats it from the outside. People find the reptile with a worm sticking out of it and assume it has eaten its way out. That is simply not possible.

Let's dispel one myth. Super worms cannot "eat their way out" of chameleon or any other reptile. Digestive acids in the stomach immediately begin to break down the worm, even if the pray was swallowed whole. These animals evolved to eat small critters. They can break down hard skeleton and even bones.

What is likely happening is that the reptile dies for unrelated reasons and another worm eats it from the outside. People find the will damage reptile with a worm sticking out of it and assume it has eaten its way out. That is simply not possible.

What is likely happening is that the reptile dies for unrelated reasons and another worm eats it from the outside. People find the reptile with a worm sticking out of it and assume it has eaten its way out. That is simply not possible.

vigorously bi
Superworms are safe, I have fed them to chameleons and geckos for 20 years. However, mealworms/sujperworms are another story. Hold some in your hand, make a fist, and they immediately bi.te your skin. Yes, I have seen mealworms ehew their way from the inside to the outside of healthy chams..

I can't see the situation where a chameleon swallows a superworm whole. That's why I like feeding large worms though so they chew them. Not that I'm worried about them eating their way out though. BSFL have been known to make it through alive though without hurting the animal.

The only way a super worm is dangerous to an animal is if it is too sick/debilitated to crawl away from it. Then it eats in, horrifying. Don't leave sick chameleons on the cage floor if there are loose supers, otherwise they are fine.
Interesting more knowledge you being served

vigorously bi
Superworms are safe, I have fed them to chameleons and geckos for 20 years. However, mealworms/sujperworms are another story. Hold some in your hand, make a fist, and they immediately bi.te your skin. Yes, I have seen mealworms ehew their way from the inside to the outside of healthy chams..

What?

OK, put some mealworms or giant mealworms in your palm. Make a fist. How does it feel?

I think Tim was confused about your wording. First you said "superworms are safe" and then the very next sentence you said "superworms are another story," suggesting the exact opposite. Your point was not clear, and also I'm probably not the only one confused with why you started your comment with "vigorously bi" lol

OK, put some mealworms or giant mealworms in your palm. Make a fist. How does it feel?

Maybe you meant to say giant mealworm instead of mealworm/superworm in your above post. I said "what" because you contradicted yourself. (y) I know nothing about mealworms. I tried your trick with superworms and they just wiggle.

I think Tim was confused about your wording. First you said "superworms are safe" and then the very next sentence you said "superworms are another story," suggesting the exact opposite. Your point was not clear, and also I'm probably not the only one confused with why you started your comment with "vigorously bi" lol

Yup, you beat me to it....lol

HI GUYS NEED ADVICE ARE SUPERWORMS (MORIOS) SAFE OR MANAGEABLE FOR MY 5 MONTH OLD PANTHER TO EAT HEARD A STORY ABOUT ONE EATING ITS WAY OUT AND KILLING THE CHAMELEON ALSO ARE WAX WORMS ANY GOOD THANKS
They're fine Andrew. Depending on where you get them they will be different sizes. If I'm desperate for some (as I was the other week when none were available at my usual supplier), try Pets at Home. I know it goes against the grain but needs must sometimes. They tend to have smaller morios which will be suitable for a younger cham. Gutload them with fresh stuff as they ignore things like bug burger.

if you're concerned about it hurting your cham, hand feed and make sure he chews and swallows, the digestive track will get to the worm before the worm gets to the chameleon.

So I have never heard that supers are not safe. The superworms should be size appropriate for your cham and should not be the bulk of your feeders. I only give two each feeding. Along with silks and BSFL. Wax worms are higher in fat and are more of a treat. You don't want to use them as a staple. They are great to use as training treats in trust building because the chams adore them. Think of them like a piece of cake. And then you want to gutload your feeders appropriately as well.
This may help you.
View attachment 226383View attachment 226384
thanks

I did find a wiggling bsfl in the fecal deposit of one of my chams :oops: it was damaged and moving slow, nonetheless still moving

thanks

Back
Top Bottom