Superworm Colony

Kecleon

Established Member
My 1st Gen, Superworms.
Ready For Transformation, Wild Caught Beetles, Captive Breed, Superworm Colony Underway.

20161120_224149.jpg
IMG-20161120-WA0047.jpeg

Every Comment, Advice and Opinion will be accepted so i can become a better keeper.

Thanks Chameleon Forum

Hey! I'm doing my Super worm colony like yours, no tackle box needed. Only problem is that I think my beetles are not laying eggs or they are not hatching.. I can't see them, maybe they are just that small? Anyway your on the right path, but where did you get woild caught beetles??!! You should not do this they could have parasites or disease that are introduced to your chameleon now. Farmed Super worms are much less likely to have any harmful pathogens. Just a heads up!

Unless you live in South America or Central America, super worms cannot be caught in the wild...

CHEERS!

Nick

It takes T I M E for the babies to appear, you will find them months later if...you don't throw the bran bedding out, but continue to add more bran.

CHEERS!

Nick

@Ilike4hornedchams,

I live in the Caribbean, on a small island called Curacao just off the coast of Venezuela, it's impossible to order feeders for my Cham, i have a fruit tree it's called a Kenepa Tree and i think the beetles eat the fruit from this tree so i started on 1 night.

I did some research on youtube and found this video

And i went right on with it.

But i tried it like almost everybody would with oatmeal bedding but my beetles died out without breeding so i went to try it with dirt.
As soon as i did it with dirt they went crazy.

@Ilike4hornedchams,

I live in the Caribbean, on a small island called Curacao just off the coast of Venezuela, it's impossible to order feeders for my Cham, i have a fruit tree it's called a Kenepa Tree and i think the beetles eat the fruit from this tree so i started on 1 night.

I did some research on youtube and found this video

And i went right on with it.

But i tried it like almost everybody would with oatmeal bedding but my beetles died out without breeding so i went to try it with dirt.
As soon as i did it with dirt they went crazy.

What do you mean do it with dirt? You added like a dirtbox like you would do for cricket breeding?

Im also doing the superworms but I made a mistake of giving em some banana and that became a mess...:oops:

@rminnis,

No instead of oatmeal bedding i use dirt bedding and as food or gutload i use oatmeal, potatoes(Water Source) and carrot's gonna order some worm food online from mantis place.

For me the hard part is getting the baby supers to be produced Ive try to keep lots of fresh food for then and they are on a bed of oats and bran and ive had 20+ beetles in there for at least 5 months and no babies i dk if they are getting eaten or if its not warm enough or what. I have successfully bred silkys and crickets but not supers yet!

For me the hard part is getting the baby supers to be produced Ive try to keep lots of fresh food for then and they are on a bed of oats and bran and ive had 20+ beetles in there for at least 5 months and no babies i dk if they are getting eaten or if its not warm enough or what. I have successfully bred silkys and crickets but not supers yet!

I had the same problem, that's why i changed from oats to dirt i passed it thru a sifter and boom, they would go at it like crazy i don't know why and how come but dirt works for me so i'll keep to dirt then.

Here are some small vids of my 1st and 2nd generations
1st Gen. https://goo.gl/photos/51zHapMHCKsyogL48

2nd Gen. https://goo.gl/photos/MonZZa6TuAJpdEea9

Last edited:
It could be because they are a wild breed, they may very well be totally different than the kinds you find for sale in pet stores, because honestly those kind are tailored and have been bred specifically for specific things for years in captivity. Either way, do what works for you.

It could be because they are a wild breed, they may very well be totally different than the kinds you find for sale in pet stores, because honestly those kind are tailored and have been bred specifically for specific things for years in captivity. Either way, do what works for you.

So like right now if i decide to put my 1st Gen Beetles on a bedding of oats they will get accustomed to it?

Most likely not. Or not quick enough for it to make the baby loss worth while. In my opinion you have less likely hood of detrimental pests with clean and safe soil. With oats there is a high likelihood of getting mites no matter how safe your oats are.

Back
Top Bottom