superworm breeding doing it right?

ok so i have finally recieved my 500 superworms(took the effort to count all and got a total of 644!) they are from what the sizes said 1.75-2 inches long. when i purchased the superworms i forgot that my chameleon was going to be a 2 1/2 month old and those superworms would be way to huge for my little guy! since ive heard superworms will never pupate if all together. i was wondering since the superworms are pretty big and guessing they are alittle old would they last another 3-5 months until my chameleon could now start eating them or by then they will be dead? and how im breeding them. so when i received them i put them in a large tub with quick oats for bedding and grapes/fruits for hydration for now and on one side of the tub their is a heating pad running so if they wanna keep warm they can. and tomorrow i will be purchasing 100 little sauce plastic containers with lidd and will add 100 healthy large looking superworms to it for pupation. after they have pupated they will all be placed in a seperate tub with blended quick outs for bedding. and when they turn into beetles they will be fed and let them lay their eggs on the substrate and aftter 2-3 weeks i will remove the beetles and set the substrate covered with eggs for hatching and just do this every 2-3 weeks for a cycle to keep going right? is this a good way to do it? and plzz answer the top question plzz!:):D

I had gotten a tackle box from walmart and drilled a SMALL hole in each section. You don't need to put food with them at least I never did and had great success. You'll notice they curl up and look dead after several days. They'll pupate (turn into little white jumping aliens that freak me out :eek: lol). Then they'll turn into beetles. You'll know they are close to turning when their eyes and legs get dark. You can actually put the pupae in you're breeding container and they'll finish the process there if you need to separate addition worms. I kept them in my snake room that was always 80+ degrees.

Some may die during the process, and when they do they turn black, stink, and get smushy. Just throw them out and start again with a new worm.

Sorry I can't remember how long it took them to grow. I was just feeding them to my chickens as treats.

GOOD LUCK!

I don't even bother putting holes in the tackle box. I just separate them and keep them in the dark(this will help them pupate faster) and check on them every week.

As soon as they pupate I put them all together inside the breeding container and start with another batch of worms. I use bran or oats depending on which one is cheaper and add a few slices of bread. I keep them hydrated with potatoes and carrots and feed them occasionally with cereals and stuff. I hear it's best to remove the adults after they lay but I just keep them there. I find they won't eat their eggs unless they are underfed.

You can add the "alien" stage to the beetles as the beetles will not bother them. I will remove the beetles to another container after a month or so, so I can have varying sizes sorted.

Everyone is correct on here, but I just wanted to add that a superworm has a lifespan of about 1 year. Typically I will buy 500 new superworms every couple of years to "refresh" my population. It is easier to lift out the adult beetles and then just let the eggs grow up and out to superworms. I keep 5 Tupperware containers with the tops cut out and replaced with screen. My beetles are in 1, superworms of various sizes are in 3 and I have 1 empty to move my beetles into when its time.

Generally when the beetles' bran starts moving its own is when I transfer the beetles into new bedding. Be careful with the bran or oatmeal - they can hatch miller moths that are a PIA if they hatch out and start flying around your house. I take the worm containers outside and open them there, because the moths will burrow EVERYWHERE and start spinning cocoons.

ok im just starting with my beattles and ive made it past the pupae stage and i was wondering how long after they turn into beattles to they start mating and laying thier eggs?

Back
Top Bottom