super worms

Usually I try to cup feed supers, but sometimes I'll put one on the side of the screen cage. I always watch to make sure the superworm is eaten and not roaming somewhere in the cage.

Howdy,

I like screen feeding with any feeder that will hold onto the screen while I watch to be sure that it is safely eaten. Supers, Horns, Silks, Dubia, etc. If you are concerned about feeder bites (I usually only worry about big Hornworms biting chameleons.) just break the feeder's mouth parts with something like a pair of tweezers just before feeding-off.

Screen feeding photo from about 4-5 years ago...
PerfectTiming.jpg

Might as well zoom-in :):
TongueOnBug.jpg

Those blasted supers will eat anything in their path! One escaped into Amy's cage about 10 days ago, and as I didn't see it for a few days I presumed she'd snagged it. However, last week I heard scratching coming from the viv and thought it was the branch scraping against the polystyrene background in there. I removed Amy from the cage and listened again - still scratching! In the end I realised that the super had somehow got behind the background and was stuck.:eek:

I had to completely gut the cage to get the background out and still I couldn't see anything - apart from a pile of fine shavings which looked suspiciously like super poop! :eek: The little b****r had eaten it's way up inside the polystyrene and had made itself a nice little burrow.:mad: It was slowly chewing it's way deeper and deeper into the background!

That's the last time I hand feed supers - they always go into the cup now!;)

Make sure it's dead when the cham swallows it becuase I read that superworms can bite the inside of their stomach if they swallow them when still alive.

Chams won't eat dead food. I have heard that rumor before but it is false. The chammy chews its food before swallowing and the digestive juices will kill anything it eats. When my chammy drops a chomped super it won't go back and pick it up and finish it because it is dead.

I do both, but prefer to hang them on the screen, all my chams respond better to hung food if it is crawling. This results in some hanging food to fall or be ignored, and fall later. I always throw out feeders that have hit the floor, I figure once they landed in the chams toilet, it needs to go away!:D

Nick

Back
Top Bottom