Super worms bite?

Yup...

I've been bitten by brown / black crickets, super worms, and hornworms. Never been bitten by silkworms or dubia but i'm sure they can bit too lol.

Just do what Jann said, thats how i fed my biting insects to my cham. Or to be extra cautious use fingernail clippers and cut their mandibles off. It's tedious, but i only did it with my hornworms.

Whatever. Try getting an adult hisser off of your hand! I'm always worried about pulling their legs off! Sticky lil buggers! :eek: :D
Don't know about hissers, but do about dubias, and almost invariably I will be holding something else in the other hand and look like a monkey trying to fling sh*t to get it off before it crawls up my arm.:)

I guess this is one advantage of having rough calloused hands... None of these bugs have successfully laid a bite on my hands, haha.

I am always more worried about them biting the inside of my chams' mouths than biting me. I used to crush the jaws, but its just so messy. Luckily my chameleons love them so much (and I provide them so rarely) that they chomp the heck out of them when they get a chance to munch one down. :D

Don't know about hissers, but do about dubias, and almost invariably I will be holding something else in the other hand and look like a monkey trying to fling sh*t to get it off before it crawls up my arm.:)

If I had a drink in my mouth while reading this, I surely woulda spit it out! "monkey trying to fling sh*t" is right!!!

A dubia or hisser can crawl on my hands all it wants to, but when they start heading to crawl up my arm, I'm done! No bugs on my body. Nope. Ain't happening. Frantic flinging is imminent! :mad: :eek: ;)

If I had a drink in my mouth while reading this, I surely woulda spit it out! "monkey trying to fling sh*t" is right!!!

A dubia or hisser can crawl on my hands all it wants to, but when they start heading to crawl up my arm, I'm done! No bugs on my body. Nope. Ain't happening. Frantic flinging is imminent! :mad: :eek: ;)

Frantic Flinging Imminent! Love it. I think that's one of the things new cham owners don't quite grasp. Not only are we chameleon keepers, we soon become bug keepers as well, and have to tolerate lots of creepy crawly little buggers.

It's a very small pinch. More of a shock then anything. My bearded dragon pretty much refusses to eat super worms unless hand fed. You get used to it.

Supers have always creeped me out. Hornworms tho, with that big spikey thing on there butt... I'm always worried they will stab me. If a cricket crawls on me I loose my shhh. Cup feeding only in our house lol

I will be cup feeding as well when I get my panther. I am already working on the feeder itself that will work with the different worms and crickets.

Oh my gosh you guys are funny! Such good senses of humour! Well back to the main topic-I have had superworms bite me-it just feels like a pinch. Nothing that bad.;)

Do superworms bite. I have been wanting to try and hand feed these but it seems I remember someone saying they can give a nasty bite.

I've handled full grown superworms for well over ten years and have never been bitten. They do have little madibles and kinda scratchy little legs, that I suppose some people equate with being bit. But I cant imaging they would ever break the skin.

I've handled full grown superworms for well over ten years and have never been bitten. They do have little madibles and kinda scratchy little legs, that I suppose some people equate with being bit. But I cant imaging they would ever break the skin.
They do bite, But it's equivalent to a sharp pinch. The bites I've had never broke skin. I've let full grown super bite my fingernail cuticle and it just hung there.

They do bite, But it's equivalent to a sharp pinch. The bites I've had never broke skin. I've let full grown super bite my fingernail cuticle and it just hung there.

I agree, they do. But I've had one bite me and I barely felt it. But on the otherhand before I have fed my chameleons superworms I slightly crush the head, most of the time. I haven't ran into an instance where they bit my chameleon though and it doesn't seem to happen often with anyone.

Well I just spent 10 minutes trying to get a big energetic one to bite me, but no such luck. Oh, well. It will be better when not expected anyway.
They get more aggressive if you feed them nutritional food sometimes they can gnaw through plastic if there’s a hole in it

Back
Top Bottom