Super worm size

Battlelore03

I just got my first chameleon a couple weeks ago and I heard that variety is important to their diet. While I was at the pet shop to buy crickets I noticed some super worms. Now that I opened up the box I’m noticing how big they are. I know the rule about the distance between their eyes but does that apply to super worms? My chameleon is a six month old panther.

Attachments

• C3BD0077-B2C8-47FA-950C-3215E4E6C373.jpeg
    C3BD0077-B2C8-47FA-950C-3215E4E6C373.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 9DF16C63-B5A8-4C22-94D9-F8320E9AF50F.jpeg
    9DF16C63-B5A8-4C22-94D9-F8320E9AF50F.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 168
What a cute panther! That rule is a guideline to prevent choking on too large of a feeder, but you'd be surprised what a chameleon can take down. I have no idea how big your finger is compared to your panther, but the superworms look about normal size. The superworms are obviously longer than the width of your chameleon's head, but are they also wider?

He should be able to take down a superworm no problem. Just remember that Superworms are high in fat and high in ciatin. However they have a lower ciatin to body mass than say a mealworm. Supers should never be refrigerated like meal worms can. Supers should be fed as treats. When mine were that young they were lucky to get 2 or 3 superworms a week a piece.

I feel like a broken record saying this, but treat them only as a treat. They have a very high level of phosphorus and fat, which are both bad for a chameleon. They are also addicting so if you feed them too often, your chameleon may refuse to eat your healthy feeders (dubia roaches, crickets, etc.), and I am talking from experience. Categorize these along with wax worms and butter worms and only offer them on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom