Super Weird Behaviour

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
So Coda wanted to come out today for the first time win months (YAYYY!!!), she was a super light green and not puffy at all, but when I put her back in her enclosure I looked at my hand and say this...

She was gripping really hard, but I thought it was because of the dogs. When she went back into her enclosure she let out a little hiss (as usual) and turned right back around looking like she wanted to come back out. I’m getting so many mixed signals, help!

Ok, good I just haven’t seen that before lol. The dogs were inside , That’s why i was confused. Thanks!

Having both veiled and panthers [specifically females], I can tell you the veiled and females in general "grip harder". Not to be mean to my lovely ladies, they carry more weight and need a more firm grip. That being said, only two of my chams leave Mark's- the veiled girl and my ambilobe male. They both have super perfect nails. The veiled as mentioned above likes to grip pretty tight, especially if something startles her. My ambilobe male doesn't at all grip. He just has such sharp nails they leave my soft forearm, or neck, skin is just irritated and slightly itchy.

As mentioned, and as you stated above, just be sure to wash. Any time you handle any animal it's a good idea to wash your hands... or if you MUST, use a hand sanitizer. [Sorry, I'm a compulsive hand washer]

I think most females nails grow longer when they're gravid.
Is that what it is... shes definitely displaying her gravid colors. I of course defer to your wisdom on veileds [panthers too really]. I only have her because of a rescue situation.

Why is it their nails grow in gravid times? Increased hormones lead to growth?

Now I need the science behind it!

You think? I would say it would be more likely they need the nails to grip branches better to climb with the weight of her eggs? While nails would help with digging... here I was thinking you had some super long research article qued up!! Lol

@Hashtag ChamLife ... Will this do?
"To me, it seemed that female Furcifer pardalis had developed their own tool to make this digging easier. Before they start digging their hole, the nails on their front legs appear to start growing to more then double the normal size. This seems to be a very logical occurrence as these long nails would make the digging much easier. The most beautiful part of this is that the growth of their nails seems to start at the onset of receptivity. After laying their eggs, their nails got shorter again and before the next mating they once again started to grow. Thus far all my pardalis females have shown this nail growth (15 different females)."...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/06MayDeckers.html

@Hashtag ChamLife ... Will this do?
"To me, it seemed that female Furcifer pardalis had developed their own tool to make this digging easier. Before they start digging their hole, the nails on their front legs appear to start growing to more then double the normal size. This seems to be a very logical occurrence as these long nails would make the digging much easier. The most beautiful part of this is that the growth of their nails seems to start at the onset of receptivity. After laying their eggs, their nails got shorter again and before the next mating they once again started to grow. Thus far all my pardalis females have shown this nail growth (15 different females)."...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/06MayDeckers.html
Awesome! I'll have to watch this myself. One female should be at the "starting to grow" stage, another should be in growth!

Now I'm curious... lol. Thanks ; )

Back
Top Bottom