Super timid baby Veiled! Is it normal?off the scr

etclement

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 2-3 Month old Veiled male that i've had for a day
  • Handling- I had to handle him for about 3 mins to get him into the cage when I got him
  • Feeding - He hasn't started eating yet, but when he does I'm going to feed him dubia, probably in a cup, in the morning. I gutload with collard greens, apples, and carrots.
  • Supplements - Repashy Calcium Plus every day
  • Watering - I use a pressurized spray bottle to spray for about 3 mins, 3-4 times a day. I've not seen him drinking yet, he always hides.
  • Fecal Description - Hasn't pooped yet
  • History- He fell off the screen several times last night when he was unfamiliar with the cage and tried to climb the screen. After the second drop I put towels down so he wouldnt take as hard of a fall.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze XL (2'x2'x4') Screen cage. It's the tallest thing within about 7 feet besides the wall
  • Lighting - UVB is a 13w Reptisun compact mini 10.0, heat is a 75w reptibasking spot lamp
  • Temperature - Ambient for top half is about 70 F, basking is 82-85 F, he seems to like it. Ambient for bottom half is 68-64 F. Ambient at night is 63-65.
  • Humidity - Humidity stays about 55-60% in the bottom and middle, and is around 40-50% at the top. I also have a little dripper that goes all day.
  • Plants- 1 parlor fern, 2 pothos which he likes to hide in, and 1 dragon tree, about 3 ft high
  • Placement - Cage is in my room. It's the highest thing within 5-7 ft as I said. It's raised off the ground about 4 inches for drainage.
  • Location - Eastern Nebraska

Current Problem - My new veiled Clay has been really timid around me lately. I know that they tend to be timid when first purchased, and I try to spend a lot of time around him (Not staring into the cage or anything). His behavior is VERY timid right now, though. He didn't want to get on my hand in the first place when I put him in his cage, and now, he's really afraid of me. I took the dragon tree out for cleaning earlier and he was very dark afterwards. Whenever I walk in the room, he gets up from basking and runs to a plant. Sometimes he even goes so far as to hang upsidown on his basking branch so I can't see him. I'm trying not to be too annoying right now, I'm just sitting on my bed, which is about 4 feet away from his cage. Is he too shy for a new cham, or is this normal? Thanks for reading!

P.S. if you ask for extra pictures of Clay, he will hide from me as soon as I come near. I managed to get one pic but I want to avoid stressing him. He is green though, not dark at all. I got him from FLchams Naval bloodline.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 114
It's normal. They are naturally shy creatures. It will take some time before he's comfortable in his new home and around you.

It's normal. They are naturally shy creatures. It will take some time before he's comfortable in his new home and around you.
Whew. Thanks. I knew they were supposed to be shy, but not THAT shy. When should I start trying to be more friendly (handling, hand feeding, etc.)?

Whew. Thanks. I knew they were supposed to be shy, but not THAT shy. When should I start trying to be more friendly (handling, hand feeding, etc.)?
for handling, i'd wait at least 2 weeks, but i'd give it a month. you can start hand feeding id say after about 2 weeks just so he can have some time to adjust. good luck!

Most animals, even dogs/cats are uncomfortable the first day you bring them home. They just show it differently. Chameleons have great body language. So don't rush your little one, let him set the pace, I agree with waiting AT LEAST 2 weeks, he could easily need longer.

for handling, i'd wait at least 2 weeks, but i'd give it a month. you can start hand feeding id say after about 2 weeks just so he can have some time to adjust. good luck!
Most animals, even dogs/cats are uncomfortable the first day you bring them home. They just show it differently. Chameleons have great body language. So don't rush your little one, let him set the pace, I agree with waiting AT LEAST 2 weeks, he could easily need longer.
Ok thanks! I'll cup feed until then. I'm just using a Tupperware bowl thing (Dubia can't get out of it).

You've only had him a day! lol Give the little guy a chance to settle in! I don't handle for the first couple of weeks. Then I use a stick for them to climb on, bring them out of the cage that way. Set the stick on my lap, let them look around, get used to you etc. Before you know it, they are climbing on you off the stick. It takes patience sometimes and some are friendlier than others.

You've only had him a day! lol Give the little guy a chance to settle in! I don't handle for the first couple of weeks. Then I use a stick for them to climb on, bring them out of the cage that way. Set the stick on my lap, let them look around, get used to you etc. Before you know it, they are climbing on you off the stick. It takes patience sometimes and some are friendlier than others.
I didn't try and handle him for fun, he didn't seem to know where the branches were. Thanks for the stick idea, too!

It's 100% normal! They're just shy lizards. He'll eventually come out and explore about when he's comfortable with his cage. When I got my baby veiled he did nothing but hide for the first 32 hours. All you can do is kind of give them their space and be patient with them.

Back
Top Bottom