Sunning chams outside - UK?

honeybee1985

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here knows if it's possible to let a cham bask outside in the sun (that is if we get any this summer) in the UK. England to be exact.

Obviously I wouldn't do this at the minute as I'd turn my chameleon into an cham-popsicle in minutes, but I wondered if it's possible in the summer? I'm thinking of it being a lot easier while deep cleaning his cage.

I live in a coastal town in England, in summer we get average highs of about 20°C (67°F). Is that warm enough? It can still be a bit windy out too - as i said, I live on the coast.

Thanks, Amy :)

I'm in the UK too (Isle of Wight - South Coast), and I put Lily outside to sunbathe last summer. She loved it! I use a wire (ex-chipmunk) cage, to which I added branches and a large ficus. I put her on the patio and kept a VERY close eye on her. It can be breezy here too so I pegged an old sheet around the outside which stopped any drafts and provided shade too. The colour change when they soak up natural sun is really cool!:eek: Here's a couple of pics from last summer.:D (Yes, we did get some sun!!) Just remember to keep an eye on temps and mist frequently. Lily was 8 months old in these photos.

4a750416d9.jpg
5f0eb1161b.jpg

Haha that's one content chameleon!! Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go when it gets warmer and see how he reacts. Hopefully he'll be as chilled as your little girl!!

You could even provide a basking light while they are outside. SInce your summer temps don't get that warm, they may enjoy the warmth of the basking light and enjoting the "cool" natural sunshine.

Yeah good idea! Thanks for the advice :) maybe if i get him out in the sun for a bit he's stop being such a grumpy boy!

chameleon get significantly brighter and more content outside under the sun.
my veiled once in a while will demand to go outside when I am around. Obviously, he love it there and I have a bit of hard time trying to get him back to his cage.
I am not sure about how at summer dry England can get. If it's quite dry, either mist the outdoor cage once in a while or provide dripper.

I live in England and if we get a very hot day then I take my chameleon outside and let him sun himself on my hand. It is funny watching him turn dark and onto his side flattening himself out to get the maximum benefit from the heat! After an hour I take him back inside.
Tip, never leave your chameleon unattended as they can easily jump down and make a run for it on the grass! Also make sure they can shelter from the sun if leaving them outside for more than an hour. If they turn pale then I take that as a sign they have over heated.

glad you asked this question honeybee i had been wondering the same thing myself as i have every intention of getting mine outside as often as our "wonderful" weather allows
lily yours looks so content she looks like she wants to stay there all day lol,i hope my little fella will have tamed down enough to want to sit on my hand or shoulder come the summer,lovely pics

glad you asked this question honeybee i had been wondering the same thing myself as i have every intention of getting mine outside as often as our "wonderful" weather allows
lily yours looks so content she looks like she wants to stay there all day lol,i hope my little fella will have tamed down enough to want to sit on my hand or shoulder come the summer,lovely pics

Thanks, Moody! I love taking pics of Lily! I'd only had her for a month or so when those pics were taken. We just kind of 'connected'! :D Like I was meant to have her. She's so chilled and friendly - I doubt I'll ever get another chameleon quite the same as her, she's a special little girl!! :D

If I can sit outside comfortably without a jacket, it seems to be fine for my panther. Like the others say, I don't leave him unattended, but he gives every indication of enjoying the sun very much.

In london it gets up to 30C although we don't get that much. Last year it was like 26-28 and my cham was having the time of his life but I was misting him alot as he got a lil warm. He had lots of shade spots to and seemed like he had agood day.

I put 4 of mine outside today and they loved it! They all gave me a cheek kiss. LOL
Hey now! No teasing those of us who are in the frozen north:p

Seriously though, must be nice;)

I take my cham outside in the summer here, and temps are about the same (hotter if we're lucky)
They do love it!
chameleon001.jpg

Cant wait til summer and get grimlock out in the sun.
Any one got any suggestions as he hates being handled, cant even get near the little guy with out him hiding from me. And i would love it if i could get him on my shoulder. He wasnt so bad at being handled before he went to the vets though :(.

Miss lilly your little girl looks so happy and content in those pics.

Cant wait til summer and get grimlock out in the sun.
Any one got any suggestions as he hates being handled, cant even get near the little guy with out him hiding from me. And i would love it if i could get him on my shoulder. He wasnt so bad at being handled before he went to the vets though :(.

Miss lilly your little girl looks so happy and content in those pics.

Wait until he is on a large branch or plant and remove that item from his vivarium and carry it outside. Place it beside you and keep an eye on him in the sun:)

Wait until he is on a large branch or plant and remove that item from his vivarium and carry it outside. Place it beside you and keep an eye on him in the sun:)

Cheers but i have tried that once before and he just jumped from the branch to the bottom of his home just before i got the stick out. i'll try it again though, got enough time to get him used to it (i hope) for when summer comes.

I think that's what I'm going to have to do with Cassius seeing as he hates everyone and everything! You'd think by now he'd have figured out i'm not trying to kill him!

You'd think by now he'd have figured out i'm not trying to kill him!

same here, im going to try and see if i can handle grimlock in a minute when he's not at the top of his home.

how is cassius now???? is his tongue any better now honeybee??

Back
Top Bottom