Suggestions on greens for young veiled cham

Mushy

Hello, I am a fairly new Veiled Chameleon owner (Less than 3 months), and I have been researching what kind of greens would be ideal for my baby in terms of nutrition and hydration and haven't really found any consistent information, and was hoping you all on this website could help me a little. Thank you-

Hi and welcome! :) The best greens for your chameleon is....no greens! No fruits, no vegetables. Just bugs...yucky squirmy live bugs.? Although veileds will at times eat offered veggies and stuff, they have no need for it and aren’t able to digest it. They will nibble at their plants, but the exact reason why & the how is largely unknown still. Give the greens and other produce to your feeders. Attaching feeder and gutload sheets for you.
5F730A26-916E-4107-81BF-7C2689A4A7D0.jpeg
E3223D2F-8E98-4867-B020-89B36FBF7A9E.jpeg

Sweet, thank you so much for that sheet, but i am curious about mealworms, since they're said to be a poor source of nutrition, what if I gut-loaded them on some greens the night prior to feeding them to my cham? Would this make them more nutritious or should i just stray away from them as a whole?

Sweet, thank you so much for that sheet, but i am curious about mealworms, since they're said to be a poor source of nutrition, what if I gut-loaded them on some greens the night prior to feeding them to my cham? Would this make them more nutritious or should i just stray away from them as a whole?
It’s also the amount of chitin that they have, which is more difficult to digest. I say just avoid them.

I just use a chip clip with either dandelions if its a safe yard, or mustard/collard greens. Then they can munch as needed vs eating the pothos...

I use turnip greens for mine. She loves them. Since they eat live food for the majority of the time, I would move the green around in your hand like a worm

I use turnip greens for mine. She loves them. Since they eat live food for the majority of the time, I would move the green around in your hand like a worm
Never ever do it, never ever advise anytjing like rhis

what is wrong with turnip greens?
Chameleons see specialized to feed on insects
Rhey can not digest olant matter
To feed them greens is harmful for them, it causes ackdosis and damabe if internal organs

The fact they seallow sime leaves is not for nutrition but for beter peristaltics

For those feeding fruit and greens.... This is why you should NOT do it.

Taken from feeding section of this link https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Veiled Chameleons are one of the few chameleon species that are known to graze on their cage plants. In the wild, their food, as babies, is reported to consist of caterpillars and soft food items. The plant matter is used as roughage to help the digesting mass through the system. As this is during the wet season there is no reason to need to eat plants for moisture and insects are plentiful so there is no nutrition known that they need from these plants. In your cage you may find your pothos or umbrella plant having a triangle bite taken out of it. This is normal and not dangerous. Though do not offer fruits. Even though Veiled Chameleons will eat greens and fruits they are not necessary to feed. Especially avoid feeding fruit which is filled with sugars.

Do not take the measure of what a Veiled Chameleon will eat to equal what is good for them. They will eat just about anything – even things that are not food. They are an eat first, ask questions later type animal.

Chameleons see specialized to feed on insects
Rhey can not digest olant matter
To feed them greens is harmful for them, it causes ackdosis and damabe if internal organs

The fact they seallow sime leaves is not for nutrition but for beter peristaltics
Okay, thank you so much for letting me know! ???

Back
Top Bottom