Suggested supplemental feeders

I’ve noticed a lot of different supplemental feeders out there and was hoping to start a couple colonies, I already have my own crickets, was just hoping to learn opinions of other feeders that would be relatively easy to start a colony ?

Red runner, orange headed, ivory headed, green banana, and dubia roaches, and buy BSFL in bulk, along with silkworm eggs, keep both refrigerated until ready to hatch or pupate or take out to gutload and feed.

There really isn’t much you can breed other then crickets, roaches and meal/super worms

any type of worm will be hard to breed bc they need to pupate. roaches are your best bet maybe superworms but maybe not, the beetles freak me out

Some things that store well are worth buying in bulk. I buy BSFL and store them in a wine fridge or sometimes in the basement. Superworms store pretty well too so I tend to buy them sometimes, breed them other times.

There really isn’t much you can breed other then crickets, roaches and meal/super worms
Your right on that one... depending on how many mouths your feeding half the feeders ain’t worth culturing but those ones are the easiest but if you do roaches go with dubias if there’s a accident your house will be safe

Feeder roaches in general are easy and cost effective. Many to choose from. I personally keep many species for variety.

BSFL and superworms are affordable in bulk and store well as stated above.

Mantises are easy to raise to decent sized feeders or can be used for smaller chameleons right out of the ooth.

Stick insects are easy as well if you can keep up with their food plants.

I used to keep a colony of wax moths. I rarely used the wax worms but the moths are a huge hit and they are very easy to breed.

Buying house and/or blue bottle fly spikes is very affordable. Cheap enough that they’re not worth the smell of culture cups for most people.

With some work, and depending on how available they are locally to you, hornworms and silkworms can be cost effective to produce in small numbers.

Depending on the size of the chameleon you are feeding, fruit flies and bean beetles are super easy.

For those of us in non dubia friendly states, discoids are a good replacement. Sadly a bit more money then dubia but beyond easy to breed.

Back
Top Bottom