Suggest me some all year outdoor trees(Pennsylvania)

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Working on my outdoor enclosure today, it's about 10feet long and 8 feet high. Added a bunch of soil and leaf litter to the bottom and thought, why don't I just plant something here that will survive our winters. The cage is up against our shed and under a lot of other trees, so it gets dappled sunlight. There are some hedges of some sort and honey suckle(which I was going have trail up on the screen) growing near it right now.

I obviously want something with a lot of good cham branches. A plus would be one that flowers and draws in some pollinators for food. Maybe some sort of temperate hibiscus if it can get enough light back there? Anything else? Would love to here some ideas. Flowers aren't a must, I can always add some other flowering plants in the summer.

I got a cool evergreen “live oak” tree that can survive our winters. I got mine mid winter and it did well and retained some
of its leaves during that time. It will probably be a year or two before the branches grow out and are sturdy. It was pruned pretty aggressively for shipping.

Too bad my fruit trees are toxic because they do well potted outside for me and have great branching.

Dogwood is lovely, likes dappled shade and survives in NJ. I have no idea if it is safe.

We had several dogwood trees growing up and theyre absolutely beautiful. They should remain kinda short in terms of tree growth. All of ours grew tall (15+ feet) and all were damaged by wind and blown down at some point. They’re plenty sturdy for a cham, just more prone to snapped limbs when huge.

They really are beautiful in bloom.

Fastgrowingtrees.com has tons and will sort by our zone. Their prices are high, though (IMO), but I continue to order from them because their service is excellent. They also offer a 1 year warranty for 10%... which is worth its weight for me with my fruit trees. Citrus, especially, is hit or miss for me, so being able to get a new tree if it fails is awesome.

They have a huge selection. Thats where I bought the live oak.

We have a cultivar of An Oak here where I work at, it’s a Cultivar the company been perfecting over the year and it has gain popularity in Texas and New Mexico...
Look up Quercus fusiformis “Joan Lionneti” from Civano Nursery. You won’t be disappointed.

We have a cultivar of An Oak here where I work at, it’s a Cultivar the company been perfecting over the year and it has gain popularity in Texas and New Mexico...
Look up Quercus fusiformis “Joan Lionneti” from Civano Nursery. You won’t be disappointed.

Do you think it would hold up in a humid/rainy climate?

Back
Top Bottom