Suddenly Aggressive Veiled Chameleon (Female)

unconventional

Chameleon Info:

+Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon- Female- Approx. 1 year old. Owned since November 24th, 2013.

+Handling - Only for cleaning purposes and even that is limited. Occasionally she would grip finger or climb up arm during feeding. Otherwise she was left alone for viewing only.

+Feeding - Primarily feeding gut loaded crickets. She would eat 10 every other day and 4 in between days. She was skinny when I first got her. crickets are on a mix of fresh fruits and veggies with Flukers food/water cubes.

Wax worms as a treat once every week or two. Occasional Kale slices. Would also eat banana every now and again.

+Supplements - ReptoCal with D3- dusted crickets twice a week.

+Watering - She would drink from the mister every other day. Mist 3-4 times on average, per day. I have seen her drink both from the water bottle when set to drip and from a little dish of water, if I hold it and make it "shimmer" by swishing from side to side.

+Fecal Description - Stool is consistent, oval and dark brown. Ultimately looks like digested crickets, as my Leopard Gecko's does. Urates are white to light yellow. Never orange. Has not been tested to my knowledge.

+History - She was from a pet store that was liquidating everything due to closing. My uncle got her and one other (separate enclosures). The other female died. Not wanting her to die, they gave her to me since I keep reptiles.

She was skinny when I first got her but has since put on weight. Has always been active with bright eyes. Has shed once since I've gotten her. Laid eggs prior to me taking her home. There were about 20-30 eggs in terrarium when I got her.

Cage Info:

+Cage Type - ReptiBreeze Screen Terrarium. 18"l x 18"w x 36"t

+Lighting - PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor UVB Lamp 100 Watt. Approx. 8-10 hours of lighting.

+Temperature - Top of cage 95 degrees. Closer to bottom of cage 79 degrees. Lowest over night temp is 70 degrees. Infrared Thermometer.

+Humidity - Just mist multiple times a day. Nothing moderating, apart from when things look too dry, we spray it down. Boyfriend and I work opposite schedules so someone is always home and usually awake during the day.

+Plants - No live plants.

+Placement - Cage located in living room. My living room is 24 feet long by 12 feet wide. She is in the farthest corner away from everyone. There is not foot traffic on that end of the room, unless I am getting a movie.

+Location - Missouri

Current Problem -

Up until recently, Pascal had been very docile and was quite the glutton. I never handled her, apart from cleaning, but she would occasionally come to me during feeding and climb my arm or simply hold onto my finger when drinking.

About 5 days ago, she has decided that she wants nothing to do with food or myself. When she sees me, she will stop and stare at me hard core. If I move, she will hiss and run away for cover. She hasn't been eating, to my knowledge, though I have been tossing a few crickets to her just in case. There's a lot of foliage in her cage, so it makes it hard to know if she is eating.

She doesn't appear to be shedding. Her eyes are bright and not sunken. She isn't skinny (though I fear she will be if she doesn't eat x.x). There are no noticeable lumps on her body. Her stool is just as it has been since day one.

I almost wonder if perhaps she is getting ready to lay eggs. I'm unsure. She had laid eggs back in November before she came home with me. She's probably around a year old. She's about the size of my hand in length, excluding tail.

Lay bin

Do you have an adequate lay bin for her. If she is about to lay it is important that you do. If you go to the breeding section, there is a good video.

I don't have a veild, but I do have a panther and for about two weeks before she lays she barely eats. She isn't mean, but her colors indicate stress most of the time during that period.

She could be gravid. You should look at the care sheets on how to set up laying bin. Also you need to supplement with calcium without d3 almost if not every feeding and multivitamin twice a week. You can use the one with d3 once or twice a month

Thank you for the replies.

I do have a lay bin set up at the bottom of the terrarium, but I'll look into finding a deeper one, or else making one myself if I need to. It has eco-earth bedding in it. I think it's made of coconut fiber, but feels very ... earthie.

I got her to eat three crickets today. So she at least got something. But those were not dusted, since I really didn't expect her to eat them x.x

Will look into finding a different calcium powder for her. Though I read I could also get a bird cuttlebone and grind it down?

She's remained a nice bright green. She really doesn't change colors too much. Very occasionally does she turn brown. And that's mostly when she is expressing her displeasure in me being near her.

Thank you for the replies.

I do have a lay bin set up at the bottom of the terrarium, but I'll look into finding a deeper one, or else making one myself if I need to. It has eco-earth bedding in it. I think it's made of coconut fiber, but feels very ... earthie.

I got her to eat three crickets today. So she at least got something. But those were not dusted, since I really didn't expect her to eat them x.x

Will look into finding a different calcium powder for her. Though I read I could also get a bird cuttlebone and grind it down?

She's remained a nice bright green. She really doesn't change colors too much. Very occasionally does she turn brown. And that's mostly when she is expressing her displeasure in me being near her.

I'm not sure, but I don't know if ecoearth will work well for her digging.
I use it for my snails and tarantula, and it dossent 'tunnel' very well, just sort
of caves in around them as they are digging. Even when its damp!

Most folks use a mixture of plain top, or potting soil mixed with sand.
Wet it down, and dig a few tunnels with a spoon to see if it stays put.

Some ppl do start a few holes for there females to use, if they want to. but should be at least 10'' deep, and surrounded with leaves or something to give
her privacy. When she starts digging, you do not want to disturb her at all.
You could cover her cage until she is finished, and just give yourself a little "peep hole" to check up on her.

Back
Top Bottom