Sucessful?

Doodleh

Hey everyone, I'm quite excited! I have a male and female veiled pair, and put them together yesterday to see if they would mate (first time for both!!) They did, immediately! my female seemed comfortable with the male so I left them to it. Now my female has small yellow-brown patches on her face, tail and legs, does this mean it was sucessful??

yes this means shes been bred! shes just geting this colouring(gravid) to warn off other males rivals that shes been taken so dont come any closer or ill bite! so within 20 to 30 days sometimes it takes 40 she will be ready to lay her eggs so make sure you have a lay box in her cage that can easily hold her and some extra room to pile dirt on day 15 cause sometimes there early and sometimes there late so just make sure you have it in on day 15 to be safe oh and if your gona hatch the eggs if you dont already have a incubator then get one and make sure it can do temps around room temp but if yea got anymore questions just shoot em and ill try my best , i myself own veilds and bred them secessfuly and just on my second batch now just waitin for them to hatch

boothy

great!! thankyou!!
I'm quite excited, I do intend to hatch the eggs! what temperature does the incubator need to be set, I've read between 70-80F??

i personally used 24 to 26 d C for the first three months then 26 to 27 d C for the last three months , its somewhere around 75 to 77d F for the first three months then its 76 to 78 d F for the rest of the months , im sure of the Celcius temps but i might be a lil off on the farenhiet temps, i have a temp gauge that can be switched from Farenheit to Celcius its made by ESU reptiles and it can take temps in and out of water so its water proof and im still on the battery they gave me lol and its yr and half old ahah but like i said if you got anymore questions ask them now , cause nows the time to do it

boothy

IMHO you should put a container of washed sandbox sand in the cage with her so she will have some place to dig to show you when she's ready to lay the eggs. You don't want to miss the signs! I use a container that when empty is big enough for her to fit into with a couple of inches to spare on all sides (including the top).

I have a 65 liter bin to put my females in once they are intent on digging the hole. I fill it about 2/3rds full of moistened washed sandbox sand. I add a branch. You can add a plant or stone if you want to but be sure that the stone sits on the floor of the container so she can't dig under it and have it fall on her. I cut away most of the lid and screen the hole over. I put the chameleon in the container and put the lid on. I add a light over the screened area keeping in mind that the container is a closed in space and you don't want to cook her. You can mist the sides of the container and feed her while she is in there...just make sure to take out any uneaten insects so that they won't chew on her or the eggs.

When she is digging, don't let her see you watching her or she will abandon the hole. When she has laid the eggs and filled the hole in and returned to the branches in the cage, you can take her out and dig up the eggs. Have your means of incubating them set up ahead of time....container and place to put them.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot both of you! any advice I can get will be a huge help. I'm doing a lot of research myself also, but would rather find out from people who have actually bred these chams sucessfully how they find it easiest!! I know a local breeder, who I bought both my chams from but I haven't been able to see him yet! maybe I will go sometime this week.. I feel like I'm the one about to be the mother! hehe!

Back
Top Bottom