Successful Breeding

JimG

Hello all, well after 2 days of my male veiled with my female I think I may have a successful breeding. This will be my first batch of eggs. I am still doing a lot of reading up on things and from what I can tell things were a success. I have removed my female from his cage and put her back by herself. It has been a couple of days and her colors have changed. She has never shown these colors since I have had her. I got her when she was a baby. Below is a pic, what does everyone think. Should I put her back for another day to be sure???. All comments welcome, thanks in advance. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 117
Thanks, I am hoping for the best. Does it look like she is by her colors ???? Or do you think I should put them together some more?????. I just don't want to stress her out to much.

She definitely looks gravid to me, those are the right colors. However if you are unsure, just hold her next to the male while he's in his cage, she will show her displeasure if she is not receptive.

I did that tonight. She keeps a lot of the bright colors but turns almost black and opens her mouth and starts her rocking back and forth. I will take a pic and post it. They had about 6-8 succeful breeding while they were together. We will have to wait and see in about 20-30 days I guess.

That sounds about right. She sounds like she is gravid and doesn't want anything more to do with him lol. Now you know it's possible for the next for the next six months to possibly though not likely the nest year, for the clutches she lays within that time to still have viable eggs? It is recommended to give them a six month to a year break after the year you bred them so the female doesn't exhaust herself.

Just a couple of updates pic's or Roxane (Foxy Roxy as we call her). I cleaned out her cage today and added a bigger and deeper lay bin. This was her first trip down there to investigate the new addition to her cage. I did put them together again this morning while I stood close to intervene if things got too rough. She did not show any disapproval so I let things continue. They did there business and I separated them and put them back to there own enclosures. Her new lay bin is about 12x12 and about 9 inches deep. Does this look ok for a lay bin or does it need to be bigger. I do not have room for a 5 gal bucket as a lot of people recommend. Thanks for everyone's input this far. This website has made things a lot easier for people new to this hobby. Again, thank everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom