Success w Silkworms

Deejay

Hi, the silkworm eggs hatched and within 4 weeks Dandelion began eating them. Thanks for all the help. The people on this forum are the best. I would never be able to be so successful. Only 5 died of natural causes. ;)

sillk.jpg

Status Update:

I had it all wrong. I apologize. I had 250 eggs in which only 100 hatched. Dandelion ate 25 in about 25 days. I have 20 worms left and 55 worms died in my care. Oh no. It was much harder than I thought and I spent over 100 dollars on this experiment. It might be more cost effective to buy the worms instead of the eggs. However, I am not equipped to handle 250 silkworms. They eat and poop all the time.

On the plus side. Dandelion loves to eat silkworms. ? He is drinking a lot less and I surmise it's because of the silkworms gooey caterpillar like body.

Status Update:

I had it all wrong. I apologize. I had 250 eggs in which only 100 hatched. Dandelion ate 25 in about 25 days. I have 20 worms left and 55 worms died in my care. Oh no. It was much harder than I thought and I spent over 100 dollars on this experiment. It might be more cost effective to buy the worms instead of the eggs. However, I am not equipped to handle 250 silkworms. They eat and poop all the time.

On the plus side. Dandelion loves to eat silkworms. ? He is drinking a lot less and I surmise it's because of the silkworms gooey caterpillar like body.
Sorry that it didn’t work out well for you.

Status Update:

I think the economics depend on whether you have (access to) a mulberry tree. I had a huge one in the yard of our last house. Wouldn't survive here due to different soil & drainage.

I wonder if being devoured by a natural predator would be considered "natural causes" for an insect...:unsure:

lol.
I will try again, but will make more improvements first. I need bigger bins, better substrate, and will try feeding every other day.
I use paper towel and give just enough food for a couple of days. I change both out every other day. I have gotten some gutter guard and when I’m lazy I make a set up with a tall deli cup like what you buy them in and keep it upside down to keep the poop away from the food

Back
Top Bottom