Substrate?

KamaKamaChameleon!

Avid Member
Is fine substrate like eco earth OK? if they were accidentally eat some i wouldn't be a whole chunk like bark etc.
And also what watt heat bulb should it be its gonna be a white light but watt around 50 watt?
Same with the uvb 10.0 15w or 17w

Last edited:
The substrate should be fine, there’s a lot of schools of thought however, a healthy chameleon will be able to pass the substrate just like in the wild

@Ambichameleous ty so much i said here
Is fine substrate like eco earth OK? if they were accidentally eat some i wouldn't be a whole chunk like bark etc.
And also what watt heat bulb should it be its gonna be a white light but watt around 50 watt?
Same with the uvb 10.0 15w or 17w
the basking bulb what watt and 15w or 17w for uvb 10.0 its okay if you don't know!
I'm not really good with prescribing lighting.

I personally like the reptislim t-8 or a Mercury uvb bulb, just because I’ve heard stories of the 10.0 causing eye problems from too much exposure, but it will depend on the size of the cage, and if you intend to have live plants as well , as far as heat goes that’s always been trial and error for me until I find a wattage combo that I feel
Comfortably maintains the basking heat I need, whether for juvenile, male or female the heat requirements vary for each

Again the heat will vary for the chameleon it depends on the age and sex , but if you’re trying to keep pothos it’s nearly unkillable so Im fairly certain it wouldn’t need too special of lighting

Yes and I know plenty of keepers that use 10.0 with success As well , I just have heard of instances of it being a little too much uvb but the internet can make things seem a lot more commonplace than fact

i had free range area for my blinds on my window i was going put a clear cover around my window so he feels protected (or will it stress him out?). then ad plants.
and i have double light dome and im gonna buy a single dome since the uvb 10.0 is long won't fit in dome i use the single dome for the basking and use the double dome for his free range area if that makes sense?

upload_2018-12-31_15-4-50.png
If you were to choose from one of these what one would you probs get? sorry for all the questions asked.

For substrate are you building a bioactive? Otherwise no substrate is needed since it will only make it harder to clean. Also loose crickets will lay eggs in the soul if you free range. I use bare bottom cages with maybe a paper towel. The black trays look fine.

@Remkon may be able to answer the substrate question better since I think he has bio setup.

I answered your light question in the other thread.

Back
Top Bottom