Substrate Question

sibeers

I see a lot of posts about getting rid of substrate for the cage.

I'd like any suggestions about what I should put in besides that. What is the best thing to have on the cage floor?

I have substrate now but I will get rid of it if there's something better.

Thanks!

I sealed an offcut of vinyl flooring into the base of Amy's cage using aquarium silicon. It's really easy to clean and looks nice too!

The reason I liked substrate was that I thought it provided a softer ground in case she ever fell. But I definetly trust the judgement of everyone here.

I hope Linda doesnt get upset when I remove the substrate!

Thanks everyone!

If you "must" have some sort of substrate, you can use sphagnum moss. or pure organic dirt, or sand. Just know that impaction is of greater concern with dirt and even more so with sand. With sand it has to do with the jagged edges of the individual crystals making up the sand you see. They tend to get caught in the intestinal wall. As far as I know sphagnum moss is the safest. it is digestible, and your cham would literally have to be eating it by the mouthful to risk impaction.

But for cleanliness sake....bare bottom is best.

And of course there are feeders to consider. Crickets, super worms, and most other feeders will burrow in or hide in substrate.

i have river rocks in the bottom of my cage, just for looks because the white PVC was starting to bug me. If you use a feeding cup you shouldnt lose too much feeders to them, i know all my free ranged crickets tend to climb up into the corners insteda of into the rocks and all the worms stay in the small cup :)

Moss is probably the best thing to use, as even my guy who likes to nibble on green things hardly goes near it! I have it on my plant pots to cover up the soil as he has been known to nibble on the soil. Make sure its secured down a little as it can be messy. I know a few people who use moss (and I myself will soon be one) to use it to line my entire enclosure floor with. See this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/showthread.php?t=22514&highlight=phelsuma It's similar to what I'm building now and I can't wait for it to be finished. As said, burrowing feeders will hide away, but I only use locusts (you'll struggle to get them in America though - I'm in the UK) which gets rid of that problem! Although, it can be quite good for things that turn into moths to hide in, then you have a few flying treats in a couple of weeks! :D

Back
Top Bottom