Substrate or Not?

Chameleon Crazy Chick

Established Member
Hey all you guys!

I have seen several threads by experts such as @Extensionofgreen that have enclosures with substrate. It looked awesome and from what I heard they had no problems.

However, as a newbie I was told substrate would result in impaction and possibly death.

Which one is it? I'm planning on building a new enclosure and was wondering if I could possibly use substrate, such as soil without perlite. That would be crazy cool and have an awesome effect on the overall enclosure. I have a Veiled named Nik, if that changes anything.

As a newbie, I would avoid putting anything at the bottom completely. Although things such as soil, carpet, and other materials may look cool and seem like a good idea, it really isn't unless you are very experienced and are ready to deal with that. Keep in mind that adding anything to cover the bottom on your encloser will also make it more difficult to clean, which needs to be done at least once a week. Also, feeder insects can potentially use it to hide and escape from your hungry chameleon.

With Veileds in particularly, you need to be extra cautious with decorative materials. Although I have never had this problem myself, I have heard from others that they tend to get confused and try to eat it.

The problem with stuff such as soil that you are talking about is that a chameleon may end up consuming it when they catch their food. This is where things get dangerous, and can lead to serious complications or death. Chameleons have rather delicate digestive systems and CANNOT consume anything other than their normal diet.

Although some very finely sifted and cleaned material may be suitable, it is not necessary. Nothing that comes from the outside (soil/plants) should be added to the enclosure without very thorough research. As a beginner, I would stay away from dirt or rocks or anything else you might use, but your veiled does need live plants!

Be careful!!!!

A lot of people use bioactive substrates, but it has to be done correctly and it does always carry the risk of impaction, but it's the whole pros and cons thing. Most healthy chams and animals in general would pass any small pieces through, but you still don't want to risk it if not necessary. That's probably why people are recommended bare bottom enclosures to start. I am no expert on this, but have read a ton about it and plan to do it myself soon. It seems soil isn't so much of a problem as having small sticks, stones, perlite, fertilizer, etc that could be eaten and cause a blockage. Even as a human, i could probably go eat a pile of dirt or random pieces of something and be fine, but if i ate a relatively large rock, glass, etc or had something compromising my immune system already, there could be major issues. Yes i realize humans aren't chameleons.

A lot of people use bioactive substrates, but it has to be done correctly and it does always carry the risk of impaction, but it's the whole pros and cons thing. Most healthy chams and animals in general would pass any small pieces through, but you still don't want to risk it if not necessary. That's probably why people are recommended bare bottom enclosures to start. I am no expert on this, but have read a ton about it and plan to do it myself soon. It seems soil isn't so much of a problem as having small sticks, stones, perlite, fertilizer, etc that could be eaten and cause a blockage. Even as a human, i could probably go eat a pile of dirt or random pieces of something and be fine, but if i ate a relatively large rock, glass, etc or had something compromising my immune system already, there could be major issues. Yes i realize humans aren't chameleons.
This is my main concern that I try and stress. Often times, you're not actually buying what you think you are. For example, I once purchased extra fine, pure and safe, only to come home to discover pieces of rock and sticks in it!

The problem is we don't know what substrates can cause impaction until we use them and the impaction happens....somis it a risk you want to take? You're the one who has to decide whether it might cause impaction or not. Soils, sands, other things used as substrates vary from place to place so we can't give a positive answer for most of them.

Fine, natural substrates, free from bark and large particles should cause no problems for most animals. A small animal, hell bent on consuming soil may cause itself digestive distress or serious problems.
My substrate would not pose a risk with an errant tongue strike picking up some with a feeder, but I wouldn't allow the chameleons access to the substrate if they were preoccupied with eating it intentionally. People use substrate in laying bins all of the time! I really depends on the chameleon's propensity for eating the substrate, your goals, and the type of substrate. Most readily purchased materials are pretty unsuitable for growing plants or using as a substrate.
Properly orchestrated substrate has benifits, such as adding humidity, providing nesting sites, breaking down waste, providing cushioning for falls, and being visually more natural and appealing. A chameleon could and has consumed small twigs, bark, and branches from the live plants in their enclosure and suffered complications and death, but people still advocate the use of life plants, such as ficus and hibiscus. We can't eliminate all possibilities in captivity, so we should make decisions according to the needs and behaviors of the animal and know that in spite of much to be said on the subject, chameleon deaths from ingesting substrates are not a common issue. That could be because many people don't use them, but is just as likely that chameleons, save for the oddball that gobbles up soil by choice, don't consume substrate in sufficient quantities to cause harm. I would NEVER use bark or other particulate matter that could obviously be picked up accidentally and cause chocking, or blockage. I'd also avoid fibrous mosses.

I never had a problem with impaction but i have had problem with ants and other bugs infiltrating the substrate which is seriously terrible lol It looks cool but kinda extra upkeep. Cleaning cages with out it is so easy. I used it for a while but having that flat plastic at the bottom makes everything way easier. I do agree though, I hate not using it because it really does complete the cage and gives it a way better look. Its up to you if you wanna do more upkeep or not.

I use ground up coconut bark. I tried without it and my humidity plummeted. Gary never eats it. He does eat moss, though, so I quit using it. I love the way it looks on the bottom, just a thin layer. I also use a puppy pad underneath to soak up excess so the crickets don't drown (I don't have anywhere for a drainage system where he is). This is the best set up I could come up with. I once tried just a paper towel, he stayed miserable-colored and grumpy. As soon as I put the coconut bark back, he was lime green.

Substrate is not a problem with my female, she always has a laying bin which is just a fancy box of dirt. My male has plants as well, but I keep them covered with stones because it's safer and exposed dirt isn't worth the risk with him. But honestly, impaction seems to be used as almost an urban myth these days. I've seen tongue problems from misdirected strikes that landed in the substrate but can anyone say that they've actually seen an impaction from eating more substrate than the errant strike? I've seen plenty of impactions from hard bodied feeders, but never a single one from properly planted and managed substrate.

I've used peat moss (pretty fine - not talking about the coarse sphagnum moss) for about 15 years in my enclosures and it has worked extremely well. Not the slightest problem. I do not use live plants - I'm pretty sure PURE peat moss would not be good for them, but otherwise it works very well and maintains a nice level of humidity without the need to constantly mist and keep everything wet. The acidity of the peat moss is said to help prevent mold or bacterial growth, which is why I use it instead of soil, since I don't have live plants. I believe it truly makes the animals feel more comfortable as I have always had very content and relaxed chams. Like someone else mentioned, how can bright white paper towels or any brightly colored floor look natural to any cham?!! By the way Extensionofgreen - that was the single best post/response to substrate ever!! So logical and honest.

I think pear is a fine choice, unlikely to cause impaction and helps with humidity and odor control. As stated, it is not suitable for most plants and peat based pitting mixes have pH stabilizers to make them suitable, even organic ones. Peat or any organic, moist substrate, can invite stagnant air and fungus gnats, if ventilation isn't carefully orchestrated.
My large enclosure has a 1' 8" deep soil layer, and above the soil is a screen strip, 6" wide, around all of the sides and back. The top is screen. There are 4 fans and a room fan, with their exhaust blowing out of the cage and the intake pulling air out of the cage. This creates constant airflow, without breezes, and my humidity his plenty high.

I think pear is a fine choice, unlikely to cause impaction and helps with humidity and odor control. As stated, it is not suitable for most plants and peat based pitting mixes have pH stabilizers to make them suitable, even organic ones. Peat or any organic, moist substrate, can invite stagnant air and fungus gnats, if ventilation isn't carefully orchestrated.
My large enclosure has a 1' 8" deep soil layer, and above the soil is a screen strip, 6" wide, around all of the sides and back. The top is screen. There are 4 fans and a room fan, with their exhaust blowing out of the cage and the intake pulling air out of the cage. This creates constant airflow, without breezes, and my humidity his plenty high.

I also use a fan drawing air out of my enclosures and often times leave a room fan on depending on the time of year. Although, I'm just using small computer fans since I am working on a much smaller scale!!! I have ventilation at the bottom as well but once again on a much smaller scale!

Last edited:
Before I got my Chameleon I had his cage all set up even with substrate. With further investigation though the forms and blogs, i have found that its best not to use it. The reason why, is because young chameleons tend to taste a lot of things and it could result in impaction = dead cham. On the bottom of his cage i now have a large bucket (with his banana leaf plant in it), and paper towel. I have also had to put some large rocks on top of the soil for his plant, because he's a lil shit and tries to eat dirt chunks. (Even after i give him all of his vitamins and calcium! )

Back
Top Bottom