Substrate Nightmare!!!

ZiggyStardust

Hello very experienced and knowledgeable Cham owners!

Can I just say, by the way, that if I hadn't discovered this forum, my newly owned male Veiled would probably be dead in about a month, so thank you all so much for the knowledge that you pass on.

Bit of background.

I am new to keeping chameleons. We have owned Mediterranean Spur Thighed Tortoises for 16 years but I have never had the pleasure of owning a lizard. Anyhoo - happened across them for sale recently at a reputable reptile and aquatic store in Blackpool, England. have to say that despite being absolutely fascinated by these creatures for nearly all my life, I had never seen one in the flesh, so to see them for sale sent me into orbit! I knew that I had to do this!

So, about 6 weeks ago, I told the store proprietor that I wanted to be a cham owner. I told him that I had never kept a lizard before, was a total novice, but that I intended to do a lot of reading and make sure that I knew what I was getting into before I took the plunge.

I asked him if he could set everything up for me - bought a large viv which is all glass, with opening front doors and a screen top.

Went to pick it up and everything was in situ. Substrate (which i know now is the devil's spawn for chameleons but I didn;t know any different then), lots of branches, artificial leaves, perching places. UV and heat lamp, themostat controlled.

Took it all home and tested everything for 48 hours before I went to collect my male Cham, Ziggy.

Everything fine for the next 3 weeks.

Ziggy expressed a preference, in fact an insistence for hoppers and stopped entertaining crickets as soon as I introduced them. Eating between 10 and 20 hoppers a day. Dusting hoppers with calcium and with a vitamin suppment and D3 once every 2 weeks. I have a tank for my feeders with fresh greens and fruit.

I work full time, so misted Ziggy's tank every morning for 5 minutes, came home at lunchtime and put a dripper in and then misted again in the evening.

He was thriving. He has shedded since I brought him home, pooping and expressing urate (is that the right word for the white urine that he produces - the tortoises do the same) and was happy colours although would not tolerate the possibility of being handled at all - gaped, hissed and tried to bite me when I tried.

So I left him alone.

However......... in the last week, the humidity in the tank has been climbing higher and higher. It is very warm in the UK at the moment, so I have been misting more, thought that was the reason.

But in the last few days, I have seen that the substrate, where it is pressed up against the glass of the tank was soaked. Obviously, because of the amount of water that has been going into the tank, and I can't have a drainage system, because the bottom of the viv is glass.

Yesterday evening, i came home to a very very unhappy Cham.

The humiditiy was up in the high 80s. It normally never gets this high unless during the night, when it climbs and then dips during the day.

Ziggy had been at the bottom of the viv at some point and was absolutely COVERED in wet substrate. I thought that he had eaten it, but he hadn't - he had just been poling about in it!

He was black as the ace of spades and hadn't eaten any of his hoppers.

So tonight - i have taken action!

Catching him was a nightmare and Lee my hubby had a pair of gardening gloves on to do the job but we got him out and into a keeper tank.

I have spent 4 hours gutting that awful, soaking wet and stinking substrate out of the tank, all the plants out, cleaning them and have put down astroturf, with the artificials in plant pots off the floor so that I can see the base easily, with kitchen towels put down to catch the wet, which can be replaced every day.

I have put Ziggy back in tonight and I swear to god, within 1 hour he was happy colours, roaming around and eating!

I am so relieved and so thankful to you guys on here, because, without you I would never have known that substrate was evil for Chams. I am going to go into the reptile centre on Saturday who set me up with Ziggy to tell him that he really needs to rethink his husbandry. I thought he was an expert, but it turns out that he really isn't.

So I guess this is a story with a happy ending, hopefully! I am a world more wise now on keeping Chams so thank you all for everything.

Love this forum!

Rachel

PS sorry for the massive post!!!!!

glad its a happy ending!

I have a living vivarium all glass like you. befor I put the subtrate in I put a layer of clay balls and a water bottle cut in half to access the bottom for draining this still got pretty wet so I scooped out the compost and mixed with sand then put moss on top it is much better now. I suck the water out once or twice a week brilliant for keeping humidity up and it cool at the bottom and my plants are growing like crazy in it though I have resently found mushrooms from the moss I think but I just pull them out. I then found my tank was getting too small for my male panther (growing about 1cm in lenth and putting on 2g a week! ) needed somthing bigger so built him a loft conversion lol ill put some photos up tomorrow In case you (or anyone else) want to try again. :) but its after lights out now :rolleyes: xx

I have a living vivarium all glass like you. befor I put the subtrate in I put a layer of clay balls and a water bottle cut in half to access the bottom for draining this still got pretty wet so I scooped out the compost and mixed with sand then put moss on top it is much better now. I suck the water out once or twice a week brilliant for keeping humidity up and it cool at the bottom and my plants are growing like crazy in it though I have resently found mushrooms from the moss I think but I just pull them out. I then found my tank was getting too small for my male panther (growing about 1cm in lenth and putting on 2g a week! ) needed somthing bigger so built him a loft conversion lol ill put some photos up tomorrow In case you (or anyone else) want to try again. :) but its after lights out now :rolleyes: xx

Josie thank you - im really new to this so any advice that you can give me as a UK cham owner with a similar set up would be really warmly welcomed. Thank you.x

1/2 bottle :)

cut a drinking bottle in half then cut zigzags in the open end, put the zigzagz on the glass bottom so the bottle top and cap is in a corner then fill the bottom of viv with clay balls, a layer of sacking on top to keep the dirt from running into the balls, then a mix of reptile friendly compost and sand make sure the bottle top is still showing then plant live plants and cover exposed soil in moss and hyde bottle cup under a piece of moss.. if you see the water rising up the balls move moss open the bottle top and syphon water out into jug, replace cap and moss. I put my tank on a slit tilt so the water runs to that corner :) Xx

you can also buy a glas cutter to cut a hole in the bottom of you tank. i don't know where to get one but iv had one before for a project i was working on. good luck.

Replace glass with plastic, drill drain hole. You can drill glass with a special diamond bit, but it can crack at the slightest stress so i would not recommend that.

you can also buy a glas cutter to cut a hole in the bottom of you tank. i don't know where to get one but iv had one before for a project i was working on. good luck.

Only if the glass is not tempered. I have no idea of these manufacturers use tempered glass, but Im guessing they do, for safety reasons. In which case, its not drillable.

Good point. Most reptile enclosures do not use tempered though. Same with aquaria.

Actually, most aquariums are tempered. I happen to own an aquarium business. However, I have no idea about the reptile manufacturers. Just check to be sure before attempting to drill.

half bottle

Hope this mankes more sence lol

Attachments

• 20140613_111525.jpg
    20140613_111525.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 106
Actually, most aquariums are tempered. I happen to own an aquarium business. However, I have no idea about the reptile manufacturers. Just check to be sure before attempting to drill.

If I am not mistaken, most have a tempered bottom and the sides are not tempered. In the large aquariums, some are fully tempered. It's been a while since reading into it, so I could be mistaken, but remember looking a bit when I was looking into poison dart frogs.

Diamond tip drill bit. We use them all day long to drill holes for wet/dry filter outflow. Just take your time while doing. Or buy a recommended screen enclosure.

If I am not mistaken, most have a tempered bottom and the sides are not tempered. In the large aquariums, some are fully tempered. It's been a while since reading into it, so I could be mistaken, but remember looking a bit when I was looking into poison dart frogs.

Yep, mostly. But for drilling a drain, sides aren't very useful.

All of my drains for fully planted enclosures are through the sidewall about 1/4" up from the bottom.

This is how I've seen most people do it for the dart frogs, which is an area that does a lot of natural vivariums. Doing it on the side allows you to place the cage on a flat, unaltered surface. An easy way to do it is use hydroton on the bottom for space. Then a layer of weed guard that will let the water through but not soil. Then the soil, plants, etc.

This is how I've seen most people do it for the dart frogs, which is an area that does a lot of natural vivariums. Doing it on the side allows you to place the cage on a flat, unaltered surface. An easy way to do it is use hydroton on the bottom for space. Then a layer of weed guard that will let the water through but not soil. Then the soil, plants, etc.

So then there's at least 1/4" of standing water at all times? Egggghhh. I would want that.

Back
Top Bottom