stupid question

Hoj

Friendly Grasshopper
my cham recently has been a little stressed and i noticed today that he is not shooting for his food just trying to bite it, im wondering if its possible for cham to loose or rip out their tounge, and still be basically acting quite normal ?

you would find the tongue most likely if they got it ripped off, plus there would be blood...might be a health issue!! fill out the help section in the how to ask for help sticky in detail if you want some possible ideas on whats going on!

heres my care sheet or help form if thats what you mean

Camo the Chameleon

Breed: Veiled Chameleon
Sex: male (I believe)
D.O.B: late July (estimated)
Purchased: October 21st, 2010 @ PJ’s pets Bramalea 905-729-7428

Feeding: mostly crickets 8-12 a day medium sized gut loaded with fresh fruit and veggies Zilla insect food, Zilla green cricket drink with calcium and dusted with ZooMed calcium powder at every feeding as well as Exo Terra calcium with D3 powder twice a month. Also 2 or 3 worms a day either butter, silk, or meal worms. (not dusted )

Watering: misting two to three times a day with a hand spray bottle, as well as using a drip system twice a day for about a hour each time. All water is treated with Zoo Med dechloraminating agent.

Enclosure: Exo-Terra glass two door terrarium with screen top. Size 18x18x24
Outdoor carpet on bottom, foam rock wall with fake plants hanging all over, a med sized 4ft flexible vine, large mounted piece of wood, a few large rocks. Also I have a small Pothos plant growing in a pot at the bottom.

Lighting: 1 ceramic heat lamp with 65w bulb n clamp approx, 1” from screen and a Exo-Terra compact fluorescent terrarium canopy with 2 Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 UVB 26w bulbs. (have reptisum 5.0 18”)

Temperature & Humidity: Top of terrarium is hi 70’s to low 80’s by day and low 70’s high 60’s at night. Bottom is low 70’s by day and low 60’s at night. Both temps measured with Exo-Terra dial thermometers at opposite side of basking light. Humidity is measured with a Exo-Terra hydrometer and is primarily kept between 55 and 75.
( lately winter here in Canada humidity has been lower from 40 to 60 and as low as 35 trying to keep it higher )

I handle my little Camo about once a week for 30min, he is actually very friendly with me. I also hand feed him daily ( loves those worms ). He poops once about every 2 or 3 days and they have about ½ inch of pure white and then A LOT of dryer brown poo. ( its huge really ).
Recently I have started to introduce him to fruits and veggies so far he has only been willing to try a little kiwi and mango but I am slowly trying to introduce new foods for him.

also i found what i thought was a weird poo kinda orange and skinny but that was 2 days ago and i threw it away so i really hope i wasnt his tounge he acting fairly normal but used to shoot at everything and was a pretty good hunter but tonite ive been watching him go after crickets and hes just trying to bite them with no success. Im trying to look in his mouth but i cant really see just looks like a white thing in there.
sorry this is my first cham and i really like this little guy

cham tongue/ stupidquestionsnot

every cham keeper out there at some point started out as a beginner, so imo, when it comes to learning about the care of your cham , there are no stupid questions, the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask. about your chams tongue, imo if there was an issue with the tongue due to injury, like ndugan7 says, it seems likely that there would be some sort of likely indicator, tongue on the floor, blood or maybe tongue hanging from the plant. it is virtually impossible to determine anything without any info, so you were well advised in filling out the helpform and reposting. all the info is important, but i would be especially complete on the lighting and supplement info. as imo it is more likely than not, a red flag of a health issue, could be just a dehydration issue, but, imo, more likely than not, related to either lighting or oversupplementation issues. repost after filling out the help form and include pics of both your cham and setup if possible and you are likely to get more useful replies. jmo / edit; ps orange pooh (i assume you are referring to the whiter portion of the pooh also referred to as urate). urates should be creamy white, any orange or yellow is usually a sign of at least partial dehydration, but i wouldnt just assume that is the only problem, failure to use their tongue in the usual manor is usually a warning sign of the onset of more serious issues, reposting with all the info you can provide will probably yeild better answers. once problems begin, they can go downhill rapidly, so i would repost asap. the longer you wait the harder any existing problems are to reverse. jmo

Last edited:
every cham keeper out there at some point started out as a beginner, so imo, when it comes to learning about the care of your cham , there are no stupid questions, the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask. about your chams tongue, imo if there was an issue with the tongue due injury, like ndugan7 says, it seems likely that there would be some sort of likely indicator, tongue on the floor, blood or maybe tongue hanging from the plant. it is virtually impossible to determine anything without any info, so you were well advised in filling out the helpform and reposting. all the info is important, but i would be especially complete on the lighting and supplement info. as imo it is more likely than not a red flag of a health issue, could be just a dehydration issue, but, imo, more likely than not, related to either lighting or oversupplementation issues. repost after filling out the help form and include pics of both your cham and setup if possible and you are likely to get more useful replies. jmo

sorry i must be confused but it thought that the how to ask for help form is what i posted above. I searched how to ask for help but nothing comes up in the search.

Back
Top Bottom