stumped?!?

ShoniNikki

okay so here is my dilemma...on July 19th My hubby and I bought a male amiblobe panther who will be 1 yr in november and a female ambilobe panther who just turned 1 yr in may! when we purchased them the people told us they had put them together in march april may and june... with mating occuring in all those months?! I noticed that she was severely dehydrated and corrected the issue! he seems fine :)

she has been showing gravid colors and wants nothing to do with lenny (the male) however we have palpated her and feel no eggs at all and if she was bred then she is severely overdue... at first she wouldnt eat except 1 worm a day... now her appetite is way up... she ate about 10 med-large crickets yesterday plus about 3-4 waxies as a snack! she has started moving around a ton more than she was before! I have read that sleeping lower in the cage is a sign of becoming egg bound?! well a few nights ago she started sleeping lower in her cage:( but has migrated back to the top last night!! her eyes are not sunken in and she doesnt seem weak!

Also the peeps we got them from told us she has never laid a clutch when they had her and they bought her as a baby from screameleons?!!!

I have a few photos of her that I took yesterday and then some from last week as well...

Attachments

• IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0273.jpg
    IMAG0273.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 95
She could very well be gravid right now even if you cant feel eggs. Do you have a laying bin in her enclosure? It is not unusual to have a female that has not laid a clutch before. My female is 13 months and is just now working on her first infertile clutch. There's also a possibility she could be absorbing the infertile eggs? I've read this could happen but it is very rare. Looks like a vet visit with an x- ray should be soon.

her weight fluctuates as well... we have a bin in her enclosure but I also tried the garbage can method overnight and halfway into the following day and she sat on her stick the entire time :)

She is gravid, you can tell by the pictures. Btw females don't need to be with a male to have eggs ( you may already know that but just in case you don't ) I would put a 5 gallon bucket filled with very moist play sand in it, make a tunnel in the sand with your fist, the sand should be wet enough to hold the tunnel. Cover her cage with a black garbage bag or something, you can cut a
Peep hole in it for checking on her without her seeing you ( they need complete privacy) feed and water her when she is on the top, and leave her be when she is near the bottom. Make sure she is getting plenty of calcium. Good luck! :)
And make sure she has easy access via branches and such to get in and out of the bin

Last edited:
how long is too long to keep her in the bucket?
she gets calcium every other day!
I have only witnessed her decending to the bottom of her cage twice since Ive had her and tried the bucket/garbage can method with no avail... as stated before when we palpate her there is literally nothing...
her appetite was very low from the 20th of july til just last week and now she has been chowin down when offered food!! she flares at the sight of our male! and during the day when lounging around she changes to these lighter yet dark colors... sometimes she looks like she is flaunting army uniform but in light pink LOL

Attachments

• IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 81
also I have noticed she literally lays on her branches... I have yet to see anyone elses chams do this... is it normal?!

Hahaha I stand corrected... my husband just told me that they were put together march april and june...

I dont have the 5 gallon in her cage... I have covered her up and left her be but nthing occrs she stays at the top we make sure she has her privacy and she cant see us peek in once in a great while to check on her but she has no interest in the soil ... she doesnt sct sick at all... she kinda seemed off when we first got her but much better now other than not laying eggs LOL with the gravid signs! and my curiousity of her laying on her branches the way she does... she acts almost as if she is a bored kid LOL

How big is your bin and what kind of substrate are you using? I laid around in my ninth month:p as long as she is moving around as usual when she is not resting, she should be ok. I personally find it easier when you can put a bin in there cage if you can fit it. She is not in her cage without a bin is she? Usually they lay pretty much 4 weeks to the day when bred, retained clutches being longer and clutches without a breeding is more of a crapshoot in terms of time ( when to expect them ) I like to make a tunnel ( or even a few) to see if the substrate is most enough to hold the tunnel. Sometimes they will use the tunnel you dig for them

I have a bin in with her but she shows no interest in it LOL I only see her moving around a few hours each day... and by that I mean she moves here and there but not like my male does... however she is still in the cage we got her in... the people took pretty poor care of them :( and we are slowly making their lives better :) she will be getting an upgrade in terms of her condo within the next week or so! our male didnt move around much before til we upgraded his cage and now he only seems to be in one spot for an hour at most LOL he loves it!! Im hoping she perks up when she gets her new home!! thank you for your help and I appreciate the tips... if you can think of anything else it would be appreciated :) I too loved to be laazzyyy in my 9th month LOL Im still trying to get the hang of their normal routines and hers has been off the wall (undeterminable) since we got her but she perks up a little each day I guess :)

what are the signs and symptoms of a female who recently laid and is in recovery?? I could be wrong... how long after they lay to they retain the gravid colors? For some reason I dont believe we got the full story from the people we got her from... I think they took poor care of these chams and its a possibility to me that she laid and they lied to us just to complete the deal!!

Back
Top Bottom