Stuck shed in the nostril

Current Problem – Is this stuck shed? I tried to brush it away but that’s it. I’m only worried because it nostril. His other nostril is clear​

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, and 3-4 months. He was when 2-3 months when I got him on 2/27/20 from FL Chams.
  • Handling – I've started to work on handing him, I've handle him twice. Once on the 16th and today the 24th.
  • Feeding – 10-15 crickets, in a feeder cup, so I can track how much he eats. The crickets get Fluker’s products, apples, potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, and carrots. One a month with Herptivite, next day with Repti Calcium with D3, then Calcium dusted cricket the third day and repeat. I add some medium dubias and super worms. A couple a few time a week, more dubias than SW
  • Supplements - Herptivite, Repti Calcium with D3, and Calcium
  • Watering – Mistking. 2 minutes x 4 times a day. I do not see him chameleon drink. Hand-Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants, 1-2x a week for about a minute near the roots of the plants and I will mist down the other side of the cage that doesn’t get wet normally.]
  • Fecal Description – Looks great, good and white with good bowl movements.
  • History – he’s been great, stopped eating near a shed. Went into shed around 13th

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Screen 24x24x48 (reptibreeze xl)
  • Lighting – 9 am-9 pm, Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood 36", Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture with 5.5-Inch Dome, Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulbs - 60 Watt
  • Temperature – 70F-95F, Night: 68F (that I’ve seen), Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge, Zoo Med Digital Thermometer, JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge]
  • Humidity – 50-70% (Usually about 60%) JBTOR Ultrasonic Humidifier (4.5L) [has a Thermometer Humidity Gauge], Hand Held Pump Sprayer (1/2 gal) [I mostly use this to water the plants], Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge
  • Plants – A golden pothos hanging from the top of the cage. A jasmine and a small Croton in the bottom of the cage.
  • Placement – The cage is in the corner of my room that I have a little hallway that goes to the sunroom. I never use that door, so he has a wall on each side and a closed-door that no one ever touches on the other side. The cage sits perfectly in the space with about a foot on either side. The top of the cage is about 6’1-6’2
  • Location – Valdosta, GA. (Southern Georgia)
Shed?.jpg

(I know he's so mad at me, its only way to get the photo)

It looks like stuck shed to me. A q-tip dipped in warm water may be able to soften and loosen it up enough to brush it off

As a LAST resort if that doesn't work the after a few tries, have a friend hold him and take some flat, NOT sharp and pointy, tweezers and see if you can just pinch it out

It looks like stuck shed to me. A q-tip dipped in warm water may be able to soften and loosen it up enough to brush it off

As a LAST resort if that doesn't work the after a few tries, have a friend hold him and take some flat, NOT sharp and pointy, tweezers and see if you can just pinch it out

Is it safe? I dont want to stress him out and put wet fibers in nose

Is it safe? I dont want to stress him out and put wet fibers in nose

Should be safe, but don't stick the q-tip directly in the nose, just around the nostril and see if that gets enough water onto the skin. His nostrils should be too small to really get any fibers into it. A paper towel or similar works too, just as long as you can get a bit of warm water on it.

A shower could maybe help too. Put a plant for him to hang out on in the shower, and aim the shower head towards the wall so that a light amount of water droplets can bounce off the wall and onto him.

A raise in the cages humidity to 70% wouldn't hurt either

Veiled chameleons are dry shedders.

Honestly doesn't look like stuck shed to me from that picture (though the picture isn't the clearest). Is could be 'snalt'. Basically just a buildup of excess minerals around/on the nostrils.. Normally happens when you use water with excess minerals. Not bad at all. You can just rub it off with your finger or a slightly damp q-tip/piece of paper towel.

My boy gets some buildup around his nose sometimes. I use a tap water filter, it removes most of the bad stuff, (Chlorine, lead, etc) but doesn't really remove the minerals. Still need to look into switching to RO water.

Veiled chameleons are dry shedders.

Honestly doesn't look like stuck shed to me from that picture (though the picture isn't the clearest). Is could be 'snalt'. Basically just a buildup of excess minerals around/on the nostrils.. Normally happens when you use water with excess minerals. Not bad at all. You can just rub it off with your finger or a slightly damp q-tip/piece of paper towel.

My boy gets some buildup around his nose sometimes. I use a tap water filter, it removes most of the bad stuff, (Chlorine, lead, etc) but doesn't really remove the minerals. Still need to look into switching to RO water.

Thats probably what it is, I also use tap water.

Should be safe, but don't stick the q-tip directly in the nose, just around the nostril and see if that gets enough water onto the skin. His nostrils should be too small to really get any fibers into it. A paper towel or similar works too, just as long as you can get a bit of warm water on it.

A shower could maybe help too. Put a plant for him to hang out on in the shower, and aim the shower head towards the wall so that a light amount of water droplets can bounce off the wall and onto him.

A raise in the cages humidity to 70% wouldn't hurt either

Nearly everything in both of these posts is completely wrong.

The only thing slightly debatable is bumping up humidity

@Ares05 is correct, it’s a salt crystal.

Honestly the buildups normally will just fall off. You can rub it off if you think you need to.

No, not something to worry about. Just him getting rid of extra minerals. I would try and use at least some sort of water filter on your tap, though RO/distilled water is preferable.

Back
Top Bottom