Stubborn Chameleon?

KatotheChameleon

Established Member
Hey Cham people!

I’m a little worried about my veiled chameleon, Cairo. When we first got him, he wasn’t in great shape but we improved his set up, have been giving him some good bugs and seeing his colors come back. The only thing I’ve noticed are his eyes being sunken in a little bit. I’m not sure if this is a veiled thing, but both my guys are on the same watering schedule. I water for 5 minutes before lights and after lights, and fog all night to keep the humidity up to 90%-100%. During the day, he tries to get close to the basking light so I’ve had to raise it a bit to keep him some burning himself but he still will sit there all day. Is he dehydrating himself? I see him drink at night before bed, but today I noticed his eyes and sprayed a bit to see if he would drink and he drank a lot. Any advice on what to do and if he looks okay would be great.

I’m adding a photo of Kato. He doesn’t have the same issues, so for both their husbandry to be the same makes me think something is up with Cairo, but it could also just be me being a worried herp mom. *side note - Kato is upset I took photos of him, but notice those colors! So cool!

Attachments

• E28933BB-AEAF-44C7-826A-132E9998FA47.jpeg
    E28933BB-AEAF-44C7-826A-132E9998FA47.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 77CD6976-958D-41D6-ABA8-FE9B4E139ECA.jpeg
    77CD6976-958D-41D6-ABA8-FE9B4E139ECA.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 90
  • A93546B9-48C4-4819-ABDD-E844B040E32B.jpeg
    A93546B9-48C4-4819-ABDD-E844B040E32B.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 232F8A81-81C4-4BB1-ACC6-754496CAD4F3.jpeg
    232F8A81-81C4-4BB1-ACC6-754496CAD4F3.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 94
  • E9F5F2FD-7F42-47C8-8A59-6A4EE482ECF1.jpeg
    E9F5F2FD-7F42-47C8-8A59-6A4EE482ECF1.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 2FE75D0A-4192-42E4-A4DE-F0960F52A2CA.jpeg
    2FE75D0A-4192-42E4-A4DE-F0960F52A2CA.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 86
  • 356AF8CC-C809-4985-865C-67094B738AEB.jpeg
    356AF8CC-C809-4985-865C-67094B738AEB.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 83
If it's white he should be hydrated so that shouldn't be the issue. Don't forget I'm not a vet...just give my opinion based on my years of keeping, reading, etc.
Totally understand! I will keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if I notice his health going down. He is eating a lot of dubias and calciworms, but he just sits really close to the heating lamp and not sure if that’s a good thing.

A vet visit might need to be in order to get to the bottom of this, too
I called the only exotic vet in my area and can’t seem to get a hold of anyone. I’m definitely wanting to take him in but if I can’t and unable to, I wanted to see if anyone has had the same experience with veileds.

I keep the humidity in the room about 40%- 50% and it goes up to 90% at night. I know 50% is on the higher side of veiled environments and low on the panthers but thought it would be a good median for both... do you have any suggestions on how I may be able to increase/decrease the humidity levels, or if this would affect dehydration?

I keep the humidity in the room about 40%- 50% and it goes up to 90% at night. I know 50% is on the higher side of veiled environments and low on the panthers but thought it would be a good median for both... do you have any suggestions on how I may be able to increase/decrease the humidity levels, or if this would affect dehydration?
One idea is that you can wrap the sides and back of your panther's cage with window wrap, vinyl/shower curtains, PVC/sign board, etc. to hold in more humidity, which'll allow your veiled's humidity to be in a better range

.... The only thing I’ve noticed are his eyes being sunken in a little bit. I’m not sure if this is a veiled thing, but both my guys are on the same watering schedule. I water for 5 minutes before lights and after lights, and fog all night to keep the humidity up to 90%-100%. During the day, he tries to get close to the basking light so I’ve had to raise it a bit to keep him some burning himself but he still will sit there all day. Is he dehydrating himself? I see him drink at night before bed, but today I noticed his eyes and sprayed a bit to see if he would drink and he drank a lot. Any advice on what to do and if he looks okay would be great.
Up to you, but in lieu of a dripper, I also do a midday (noon-ish) misting so there's always water for drinking available.

Almost anytime I've seen a chameleon on here have sunken eyes, it was because of parasites/illness/organ failure. That said, sometimes when they're upset their eyes will sink in a bit, are they always sunken in or just when you hold him?

Almost anytime I've seen a chameleon on here have sunken eyes, it was because of parasites/illness/organ failure. That said, sometimes when they're upset their eyes will sink in a bit, are they always sunken in or just when you hold him?
They seem to be more sunken in some days over others. I’ve only handled him for the photo. I’ll go ahead and make him an appointment to see if we can get him looked it, or try at least. I’ll keep watering and observing. If it is dehydration, how long would it take their eyes not to be sunken?

They seem to be more sunken in some days over others. I’ve only handled him for the photo. I’ll go ahead and make him an appointment to see if we can get him looked it, or try at least. I’ll keep watering and observing. If it is dehydration, how long would it take their eyes not to be sunken?
I doubt it is dehydration so it's hard to say. Sinking in of eyes is a very serious symptom, it's not like they just didn't get enough water for a couple days, it's usually that their body is shutting down. But like I said, it could also be from stress/fear... maybe something around the enclosure is bothering?

I doubt it is dehydration so it's hard to say. Sinking in of eyes is a very serious symptom, it's not like they just didn't get enough water for a couple days, it's usually that their body is shutting down. But like I said, it could also be from stress/fear... maybe something around the enclosure is bothering?
Yeah maybe. It’s hard to say to be honest. I called and emailed the vet clinic so let’s hope they can get him in and checked out. Better safe than sorry. 🙂

The eyes honestly do not look sunken in.... Getting a fecal run is always a good idea though. I agree with everything @jamest0o0 said... Veileds will pull in their eyes with stress/fear. He can not see the other chameleon at all right?
Hey @Beman! He can’t see Kato, there is a board between the both of them. Maybe he is still getting adjusted and maybe getting stressed, it’s just hard to tell since he doesn’t have the same color changes as Kato. Both of them have an appointment on Monday for exams and a fecal test so we can at least rule that out as a possibility. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom