Stressed

I just woke up my Jackson Chameleon and he climb to the top of his cage and got all black and green I know that black can mean stress so I was wondering if he was just absorbing heat or starting to shed and get uncomfortable maybe?

Attachments

• 16047645682244557004257576435973.jpg
    16047645682244557004257576435973.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 78
Good morning/day. I would recommend you copy and paste the info attached here and answer the questions to the best of your ability and then one of our seasoned Cham Enthusiasts will review it and let you know what the issue may be. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help

Good morning/day. I would recommend you copy and paste the info attached here and answer the questions to the best of your ability and then one of our seasoned Cham Enthusiasts will review it and let you know what the issue may be. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help
Jackson Chameleon Male
I hold him twice a week
I feed him Crickets he usually eats 3-4 whole inch crickets
Eats every other day but I do put at least a cricket even if he isn't hungry
I use Repti-Calcium with D3 I dust Crickets once a week
I use a water fountain and mist his cage 3 times a day with warm water. I see him drink every night before I turn off his lights
His poop usually is brown looks kinda like a wet raisin and the white part always come out watery
I don't think hes had any problems before
He has been in my care for a couple of months
He cage is about 2 feet tall Glass
He has a basking light right now I am currently trying to get a UVB one as well
I am not sure how you can check humidity and I have a thermometer on its way from Amazon to check how hot it gets
I use fake leafs from Magoos pet outlet
His cage is on top of a filing cabinet in my closet not near any vents or fans not in a high traffic area he is 54 inches from the floor

Thanks @Beman! I would like to see several pics from different angles. That being said, I will only be able to share whether something looks off to me. Anxiously awaiting pics!

Thanks @Beman! I would like to see several pics from different angles. That being said, I will only be able to share whether something looks off to me. Anxiously awaiting pics!
Here
His arms have always looked like this if it is he's had it for awhile and the pet store sold him like that

Attachments

• 20201107_194018.jpg
    20201107_194018.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201107_183758.jpg
    20201107_183758.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 16047962283577706995196108598947.jpg
    16047962283577706995196108598947.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 60
Jackson Chameleon Male
I hold him twice a week
I feed him Crickets he usually eats 3-4 whole inch crickets
Eats every other day but I do put at least a cricket even if he isn't hungry
I use Repti-Calcium with D3 I dust Crickets once a week This is a lot of d3 for a Jackson’s. A lot will depend on your uvb situation, but A D3 supplement with ~20,000 IUs, dusted once per month is probably enough.
I use a water fountain and mist his cage 3 times a day with warm water. I see him drink every night before I turn off his lights. Hydration is complicated, but many believe that fountains/water falls can be more problematic than good (I can explain why later). Using a dripper for several hours a day, and misting during lights off (morning, evening and bedtime) appears to be working for a lot of people. Whether by misting, or fogging at night, there is evidence that creating an atmosphere of ~100% humidity at night, and having it drop into the 40% during the day is beneficial.
His poop usually is brown looks kinda like a wet raisin and the white part always come out watery
I don't think hes had any problems before
He has been in my care for a couple of months
He cage is about 2 feet tall Glass More details would be helpful.
He has a basking light right now I am currently trying to get a UVB one as wellThis is absolutely crucial: please get a T5 HO LINEAR FLUORESCENT UVB BULB AND FIXTURE. Some keepers find that higher than normal uv indexes are beneficial for montane species. Really, please, this is super important.
I am not sure how you can check humidity and I have a thermometer on its way from Amazon to check how hot it gets A digital thermometer/hygrometer combo is a must.
I use fake leafs from Magoo's pet outletLive plants will greatly help moderate your humidity
His cage is on top of a filing cabinet in my closet not near any vents or fans not in a high traffic area he is 54 inches from the floor
I get that you are new to this, and I commend you coming here and asking for some help. However, you have a more demanding species, that has some specific care requirements. UVB, temperature, humidity/hydration and supplementation are really important to get right here. I’d be happy to work with you here, and I’m sure @JacksJill will say the same, and she has a lot more experience than me.

You really need to focus on your supplement schedule asap. I know you have a lot of info coming at you at once but this should be dealt with first.
I highly recommend you get him started on the standard schedule for now.
"Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."
If you want you can substitute Repashy Calcium Plus LoD for both the D3 and the multivitamin on the schedule. Use all supplements very lightly.

You really need to focus on your supplement schedule asap. I know you have a lot of info coming at you at once but this should be dealt with first.
I highly recommend you get him started on the standard schedule for now.
"Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."
If you want you can substitute Repashy Calcium Plus LoD for both the D3 and the multivitamin on the schedule. Use all supplements very lightly.
Could you tell me what supplements you recommend?

I personally use Repti calcium without D3 mixed with ground bee pollen (optional) and twice a month I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. There are other good options but that is what has worked for me. Again I emphasis to use them very lightly. Your feeder insect should not look like powdered donuts. I put my supplements in dollar store salt and pepper shakers so I can control the amount better.

I personally use Repti calcium without D3 mixed with ground bee pollen (optional) and twice a month I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. There are other good options but that is what has worked for me. Again I emphasis to use them very lightly. Your feeder insect should not look like powdered donuts. I put my supplements in dollar store salt and pepper shakers so I can control the amount better.
Ok thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom