stressed chameleon

Rocco13

So I’ve had my veiled female chameleon for about 3-4 months now and she’s an adult now or a juvenile not quite sure. My only issue with her is she’s not big on handling or even me getting close to her cage. Whenever she’s adventuring and i get up to look or even when i walk by the cage, she just scurries off to her corner in a plant. Anyways, what doesn’t make sense is when it’s getting to her bedtime which is 9 she’s completely fine, i can walk up to her cage and she’ll be fine i can open it as well with no stress. I understand Chameleons aren’t animals to bond with and handle, but i know you can at least domestic them and make them recognize ur hand as a way to get food.

It could take a long time. I've had my veiled for almost 6 months and he still despises me unless I'm feeding him, I've never been able to handle him. Chameleons tend to "chill" around bedtime and as long as you're just taking a look, she'll act normal. Can you send a few pics of your pretty girl?

yeah that’s kind what I figured, it’s just kinda taunting how she’s only going to be chill when i can’t handle her but here’s the best picture i have.
21B47C56-FDAE-4000-AD47-FE1C8CF2417B.jpeg

yeah that’s kind what I figured, it’s just kinda taunting how she’s only going to be chill when i can’t handle her but here’s the best picture i have.View attachment 300780
She looks really good! I'd recommend attempting to cup feed, and once she gets use to that, try hand feeding! Hand feeding is one of the #1 ways to build trust with a cham, especially since veileds are so feisty. Also, if your chameleon gets defensive and hisses while you're hand feeding, don't back away or else you're rewarding them for that behavior. Neptune the Chameleon on youtube has awesome videos and one on how to tame your chameleon! Check it out if you have the chance. :)

Yeah mine took a longg time to be willing to go on my hand, and he only does that for food, still sometimes getting scared when i move relatively suddenly. And some never will be willing to go on your hand even for food, which i had accepted but then he did, so yeah. Chameleons in general are just much more for looking at and watching than handling. Which, once you come to terms with, isn't so bad In my experience.

Do you have an egglaying bin IN her cage?
Are you aware that they can lay eggs even without being with a male at that age? If she has no proper place to lay them she will likely die eggbound. Also...the size of the clutch depends to a big degree on her diet and temperatures in the cage. If it's too much food or too hot th clutch will be large and she will have issues that lead to death too.

She is showing gravid or receptive colors that is why they are asking about a lay bin. Also if gravid se will be grumpier.
This is exactly why I'm asking. She's showing receptive in the photo in post #3...that means that by now she should be ready to lay the eggs or even past the time she should have laid them...so we need a photo from her now so we can see how she's doing!

This is exactly why I'm asking. She's showing receptive in the photo in post #3...that means that by now she should be ready to lay the eggs or even past the time she should have laid them...so we need a photo from her now so we can see how she's doing!
588043C8-18D6-4B43-836C-073B9ED96F41.jpeg
This is her now, i did make a new thread but i’ve noticed more splotches of orange on her so i’m assuming she’s developing a clutch. I haven’t noticed her trying to dig or ever go to the bottom of the cage and her stomach hasn’t seem to plump up yet so she’s definitely doing a okay.

Back
Top Bottom