stressed chameleon

milo2014

Hi guys
I am having trouble here. Hope anyone can help!
I am new here and new to owning a baby veiled chameleon.
I first had him in a small glass container then he started digging into the ditdirt so I buibuilt him a screan cage that is 29" highth, 18" length, 16" width. I have a bunch of plants and climbing branches in the cage have a uvb light that is angled to shine through the whole cage and a 60 watt bulb for warmth and basking spot.
Have a small container of moss in the cage to keep humidity up. Top of cage is 78-80°f bottom of cage is low 70s During the day. I spray the leaves at least 3-4 times a day to keep him hidrated. He also eats and drinks like crazy.
At night he is perfectly fine but during the day I am having trouble.
He keeps pasing the cage turning dark green with brown spots. (I think he is stressed)
once I let him walk onto my hand he is a nice light green color without the dark spots but as soon as I put him back in he stresses again.
I don't know what to do. Hope someone could help please!

In my opinion cuz I have a veiled as well and he does that sometimes too but jus as long as he keeps drinking water and eating normally he'll be fine.

Are there any spots in the enclosure he stays away from? If you post pictures of the enclosure, may be easier to tell if anything is stressing him. If you check the stickied post "how to ask for help", there is a bunch of questions, it helps members help you.

No he is all over. Specially when he is stressed. He likes to walk upside down on the top of the cage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-11-07-14-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-11-07-14-49.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot_2015-02-11-07-14-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-11-07-14-37.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 141
every young male i have ever had, would always fire up while in the enclosure, but i used way smaller enclosures.... they will all pretty much climb on the screen until they are too big to do it...

try to answer the below questions, to better understand your setup
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Im not so sure he is stressing, but being young...

Veiled, male, about 1-2 monthes old, have had him for 3 weeks now. Bought him at the petstore. Was (still is) 30 day health aproved.
handling very little
Feed him 4-6 small crickets a day, feed him in the am, gutloading ? Still researching that.
I give him reptivite with D3 3 times a week, I am going to buy some vitimins this weekend.
I use a spray bottle to spray the leaves 4-5 times a day untill leaves are soaked. Yes I do see him drinking.
his feces are black with a white tip, moist not soggy or runny, don't know the history. Bought him at the pet store.

CAGE
all screan, 29inches in highth, 18 inches in length, and 16 inches in width. I did have him in a smaller glass ccontainer but he was digging into the ground and digesting it.
I have the reptisun 5.0 uvb light, the regular blue day light 60 watt. Turn both on at 8am then turn the uvb light off at 6 pm and the regular blue light off at 8pm.
floor is low 70°, top (basking area) 80°, night 65°-70° I have a temperature gage that tells the temp and humidity.
humidity is between 60-70 and have moss in the cage to keep humidity up, I spray the cage to also help.
I have all fake plants that I bought ag the pet store.
he is placed in a bedroom away from the AC, near a window but blinds are closed all day, very minimal travic (barely any) the cage is about 3 ft from the floor.
located in florida, winter 60°-70°, summer 80-95.

I just want him to be happy and understand him better. I want to give him a good life. Also want to make sure that I do everything wright. I hate to harm aimals.

i notticed a few things,
D3, usually is recomended 2 times a month, phosphorus free calciume, every feeding.
Feeding, as much as he will eat at his age
lighting, you can use a regular incandescant light bulb for heat, the blue... maybe another type of reptile... i would almost suggest that the blue light may be... stressing him? maybe another member can suggest... but i say get rid of it.

Last edited:
Okay
I did talk to the guy at the pet store and he said to give the calciunm with D3 3 times a week. And he also said that the lights I have are good it was the humidity level that was way off! So I got a dripper. And said that what he is doing is normal. Also not to feed him too much so 6 crickets are good.

I have to say thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

I would give a LOT more credence to the people on here than "the guy at the pet store." Some pet store people can be quite knowledgeable, but often they are just wrong, and simply repeating what they have been told. I don't know of anyone with much experience on here who is supplementing with D3 every other day. That is a pretty sure fire way to overdose him with D3. Straight up calcium daily, with D3 every other week, is pretty standard. Then also with a multivitamin every other week.

I'm not suggesting the pet store guy is wrong... I'm suggesting that he may have been misinformed, or may have been given wrong information. D3 over-supplementation causes lots of issues that most people aren't ready to handle. there are plenty of resources available on this forum and others; one being the chameleon care sheets listed at the bottom of almost every page. the care sheets are put in place by people with years of experience. Please take the pet-shop guys word, and ours for that matter, with a grain of salt. Do read up on the animal you are now caring for, read peoples story's, about the decades many members have put into the proper husbandry techniques, research for your self... ask lots of questions.... but if you ask for help, please be prepared to accept the answers you are given... dont accept them for gospel, but use them as a tool to start looking in the right direction.... it will solidify, and often reinforce what members are saying.

Just my $0.02

Yes I know. That is why I have been doing a lot of research and came on here to grt more advice. I have asked at several different pet stores and they all said different things but all said to use D3. But I will take your word on only giving it every 2 weeks. I also asked around for vitamins and other suppliments thaat I should give but all pet stores only had the D3.

Since yesterday I put in a dripper and some more plants and I do see a difference. I also switched to the refgular light bulb that was suggested. So we will see how that goes.

The only way I could really justify d3 everyday is if your using an all in one supplement like sticky tongue farms that has really low traces of d3. I've used it before but I'd rather just do regular calcium daily and d3 and multivitamin twice a month

Here this is what they recomended to me. I have askedfor other suppliments but this is all they gave me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-12-09-29-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-12-09-29-12.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom