Stress

ImThatGingerBoi

Hello I have an adult verrucosus chameleon (1 year 9 months) and I’ve just moved him not very far and have him in a different house. he doesn’t seem very stressed but I’m still concerned I’ve never moved him before and would just like some input I love him dearly and would hate for anything to happen to him here’s a picture .
image.jpg
the screens a bit dirty I know I’ll clean it, but he seems like he’s not growing that much just gaining weight around the stomach and he eats very well gets calcium, dubia roaches, crickets, meal/super worms all interchangeably but not too often of one or the other. Please help thank you.

Sorry I BREED all super/meal worms, roaches and crickets however I don’t give him mealworms only supers and I always make sure he eats all of them.

I would liven up his cage some, put live plants, more branches and vines, what size is his cage?

Cool!! The exo terra is a 36 x 16 x 36? Bigger is always better, in those screen cages you can make a branch frame that hugs the edge of the inside of the cage that you can use to tie other branches and plants to, chams love real plants

Cool!! The exo terra is a 36 x 16 x 36? Bigger is always better, in those screen cages you can make a branch frame that hugs the edge of the inside of the cage that you can use to tie other branches and plants to, chams love real plants
Thanks for the tip! But anything on how he looks or why he’s not growing just kind of getting fatter? I’m just concerned and any help would be great!

I think sprucing up his cage with lots of vines and real plants would help alot, if you live in a temperate zone, get a large ficus tree or other cham safe tree and take him outside for an hour or 2, gutload feeders right, give him a varied diet, throw in some bottle flies or bsfl larvae and flies, my chams go crazy over those...they love chasing around those flies

I think sprucing up his cage with lots of vines and real plants would help alot, if you live in a temperate zone, get a large ficus tree or other cham safe tree and take him outside for an hour or 2, gutload feeders right, give him a varied diet, throw in some bottle flies or bsfl larvae and flies, my chams go crazy over those...they love chasing around those flies
Awesome thank you so much lucky I have quite the green thumb (knock on wood). But I’m my area I haven’t seen any types of flies so he’s never had them, they don’t sell them in pet stores unless they have them online. He just gets what I breed crickets roaches and the occasional super worm, sometimes other things but rarely. Anyways if you know where I can find some please let me know.

Check out Josh's frogs, they have bottleflies among tons of other feeders frequently. Fullthrottlefeeders has a lot of roaches, sticks, and other stuff. Take a look at the sponsors. Tons of great options for food online.

Would definitely upgrade enclosure size, it would help us if you filled out the help form sticky and pasted it.

Check out Josh's frogs, they have bottleflies among tons of other feeders frequently. Fullthrottlefeeders has a lot of roaches, sticks, and other stuff. Take a look at the sponsors. Tons of great options for food online.

Would definitely upgrade enclosure size, it would help us if you filled out the help form sticky and pasted it.
Yup definitely upgrading him! Can you post a link to the form? Sorry still new not familiar with where everything is quite yet.

Your Chameleon - verrucosus chameleon age 1 year 9 months been in my care 1 year. Male
Handling - I almost never handle him unless absolutely necessary. The people who had him before me never held him and tamed him down so instead of stressing him out and trying every day-week I let him be.
Feeding - crickets, dubia roaches and super worms sometimes. I feed him everyday and because he’s so big he often eats 10-sometimes 15 crickets.
Supplements - he gets calcium powder with d3 once in a while but not to often
Watering - I have a 1 gallon watering dripper that runs all day. I spray 2-3 times a day for about 1-2 minutes, and no I’ve never seen him drink he’s a shy eater and drinker and doesn’t like to do it while there is someone watching him, however if he seems dehydrated if I mist and refill his dripper he noticeably perks up.
Fecal Description - Everything looks normal no inconsistency’s and no strange discoloring. His color seems a bit dull and I’m not sure why or how to fix it. No he’s never been tested for parasites.
History - From what the vendor at the reptile expo said, he used to be a breeder but never got along with the females so the females bit off some of his tale he was never handled and do to his past he bacame a bit aggressive.

Cage Info: 16 x 16 x 30
Cage Type - Zoo med repti breeze large
Lighting - zoo med duel lamp with uvb and uva lighting 12 hours on 12 hours total darkness
Temperature - I also haven’t been able to check the temperatures recently with the move because I have his thermometer elsewhere. I’ll see as soon as I get it.
Humidity - I mist him 2-3 times a day and he has a dropper and water bowl to maintain humidity I haven’t measured the exact level as of recent.
Plants - no live plants yet I’m ultimately hoping to have a slight and/or fully bioactive enclosure. If there’s a list of recommended or safe plants don’t hesitate to let me know!
Placement - as of current he’s on the floor unfortunately, until I get a stand which his bigger cage will rest on.
Location - Minnesota

Thanks for the tip! But anything on how he looks or why he’s not growing just kind of getting fatter? I’m just concerned and any help would be great!

@ImThatGingerBoi
I think you mentioned you were worried that he's not growing ? I'd weight him and dial in your husbandry. after that and he's settled in If he isn't looking good or loses weight perhaps have a vet do a fecal to check for parasites.

For plants make sure to wash them and cover the soil with large rocks or something to prevent you cham from eating soil. For starters I would hang a pothos it's a great vine with broad leaves great for drinking water dropplets off. It will spread and can create avenues both horizontal and vertical when placed over other vines and branches. Many people like the ficus benjamina but the sap is a major issue it's sticky foams and is an irritant don't trim or prune it in the enclosure and be sure to wash afterwards. The Schefflura or umbrella plant is another classic.

Check out this list as well https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

For plants make sure to wash them and cover the soil with large rocks or something to prevent you cham from eating soil. For starters I would hang a pothos it's a great vine with broad leaves great for drinking water dropplets off. It will spread and can create avenues both horizontal and vertical when placed over other vines and branches. Many people like the ficus benjamina but the sap is a major issue it's sticky foams and is an irritant don't trim or prune it in the enclosure and be sure to wash afterwards. The Schefflura or umbrella plant is another classic.

Check out this list as well https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
Thanks! Appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom