Stress from glass ?

Depends who you ask..... Years ago I hade Jacksons and Vieleds in glass terrariums with no problem. The main reasons people really avoid glass is ventilation, size and cost.

Ventilation = Tall tanks aren't very efficiant at letting fresh air in. This can be overcome with some work like cutting out the front panel of glass and putting in a vent near the bottom (not for amatures).

Size and Cost = Big Glass Terrariums are very expencive.

As for the reflextion issue if you have natural light coming into the room and have your lights all set to about the same schedule, the reflextions should be very minimal.

Screen Cages work great if you can keep the heat and humidity and heat in the room at appropriate levels. Another big benifit is that you can easily move these cages outside in good weather to let the chameleon get natural light.

'Ello Maurer. :)

"The main reasons people really avoid glass is ventilation, size and cost."

While I agree cost-wise, in the past few years companies such as Protean and Exo Terra/Zoo Med have come out with well-ventilated, good sized cages. But boy can they be expensive. :eek:

"Ventilation = Tall tanks aren't very efficiant at letting fresh air in. This can be overcome with some work like cutting out the front panel of glass and putting in a vent near the bottom (not for amatures)."

If you are talking about creating a chimney effect for air flow, you'd need one at the top, too. I'm not sure if you want us to assume there already is one or not. :p

"As for the reflextion issue if you have natural light coming into the room and have your lights all set to about the same schedule, the reflextions should be very minimal."

Another option is to cover the glass with fake plants or something similar to a background (remember: mold resistant/proof)..

I'm half asleep so excuse me if something doesn't make sense. :eek:

I have chameleons in glass and I have no problems. I don't think the reflection think is a problem. But that is just what my experience has been.

If you are talking about creating a chimney effect for air flow, you'd need one at the top, too. I'm not sure if you want us to assume there already is one or not. :p

The top of the tank is left open. I am still half asleep too.

thanks guys ..
your replies were very useful..
so,take a look at my DIY project :

Attachments

• veiled_cham_housing project.jpg
    veiled_cham_housing project.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 70
Be sure to use something to seal the wood, and I would not suggest using soil.

They tend to some times eat the dirt if thier diet isn't perfect. Plus it makes it easier for them to see any loss feeders.

A lot of european keepers use soil. Its not used as much here in the US. If you do choose to use soil. Make sure you do a layer of hydroton balls then seperate that with a layer of screen. Then put your soil on top of the screen. If you dont plan your drainage out first. Then that soil is going to be a muddy mess in a weeks time. What with all the misting for the cham.

Drainage will be difficult and it could mold. It's easier to just use paper towels unless you have issues with humidity..

So..
Is the paper towels the most ideal substrate for a baby veiled cham ?
Simply i was wanting to have more physical escaping in terra because i want to plant 2-3 plants !!

Use potted plants. :) Ficus, schefflera, and my mind is at a blank for the others. It's too early. :p

Back
Top Bottom