Strange new behavior - facing down with his mouth open??

EvilLost

Hey all,

Can anyone help explain this one ? My panther has recently begun doing some weird behavior....

He will be on a stick, facing downwards (towards the ground). Very similar to the position he will take when hungry sometimes....except he does this at varying heights, not just near the ground.

And then....he opens his mouth. The amount he opens it also varies, and he just leaves it open for awhile 10-30 seconds.

My initial thoughts were overheating, but he did it this morning, away from his heat source where it was probably around 70F? He has done it at other times where the temps were cool as well.

Also, on occasion he lets out a little sneeze. He has been doing this for awhile now (since before his last vet visit about a month ago) but I was told it is nothing to be concerned with? It doesn't happen to often, but I do hear one every 2 or 3 days...not sure if its related or not

Clark is now 9months old and I've had him since January....he's got his supplements, uvb, etc etc....I'll fill out the form if you really want but the essentials are all there. He poops every morning between 10 and 10:30am, recognizes my misting spout and likes to drink from it directly (he prefers it over drinking from leaves) and is all around EXTREMELY active and never, ever goes dark.

He has a Resp. infection from you describe...See mucus in his mouth ever?
Does he keep up his reg routines? Eating, drinking, moving during the day? If all this is the same, try a warm shower a few times!!!!

Yes all of his routines are entirely normal, he has shown no decrease in eating/mobility/energy/anything.

I have not seen any mucus in his mouth or nostrils, but I will take a closer look.

What would cause a resp inf?

I'll also try the warm mist, though he *HATES* getting wet! :p

Yes all of his routines are entirely normal, he has shown no decrease in eating/mobility/energy/anything.

I have not seen any mucus in his mouth or nostrils, but I will take a closer look.

What would cause a resp inf?

I'll also try the warm mist, though he *HATES* getting wet! :p

improper houseing causes this. post in the how to ask for help so people here can see what could be wrong please.

Sure, I'll bite....

Picture of his setup (its awful and sideways but you can see it): https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-free-range-56551/

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Male, BB Ambilobe, Had him 8 months now (he is 9 months old)
Handling - Rare
Feeding - Dubia and Crickets mixed, I breed the dubias on cricket crack+veggies and buy the crickets from joshs frogs.
Supplements -D3+calc / multi vit alternating sundays. calc daily.
Watering - Garden sprayer, he recognizes it and comes to the spout to drink quite easily
Fecal Description - Normal fecals....brown+white urate moist not wet or dry
History - Has an issue with his right eyelid and a bruise/dead cells on his left side that hasn't healed in 4 sheds now (im' assuming its dead cells as it doesn't bother him, the color is just always black).

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Free-range, 3 potted plants on a cat tree, floor to ceiling + he tends to wander the house.
Lighting - UVB T8 + bask bulb
Temperature - 70 at night; 76-78 during the day; basking spot 84-85
Humidity - I mist him two or three times a day plus he has a humidifier (but I only use it on really dry days)
Plants - Ficus, Money Tree, fake sticks
Placement - Next to a window (I open the window so he gets screened sunlight daily).
Location - Southern California

If there is no mucus and no wheezing, its also possible that something is stuck in his throat or where the tongue is stored.

Back
Top Bottom