Ambilobe70
Member
Four of the remaining worms were firm and active when touched. So I pull them and gave them some chow.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I just saw gutter guard suggested as a cocooning media as well, so I had already ordered some. I will use that for my larger worms on the next run. I had been using plastic needlepoint fabric and it worked until this last week, when the poop got too big to go through.@Ambilobe70 The elaborate patterns on the worms you featured in the first set of pictures don't mean anything as some silkworms have more markings than others in the 2-4th instars.
HOWEVER, the picture of the dying ones in the box with the egg carton is definitely a disease. I think either flacherie or grasserie.
I really hope your remaining worms aren't infected.
I also wanted to suggest for future rearing attempts that you could use something like gutter guard to 'net up' the silkworms. This allows the poop to fall beneath the grid, keeping the worms out of their poop. I find it helpful, and I've seen a lot of people mention using it.
I looked up those diseases (and others in silkworms) and I can say with confidence it was Flacherie. The symptoms match my situation exactly, from cause to behavior to appearance.HOWEVER, the picture of the dying ones in the box with the egg carton is definitely a disease. I think either flacherie or grasserie.
For some reason I always end up with mostly males. The extras make nice treats for my chameleons, although I do feel bad for the pretty little moths. I tried to find info on how to sex them when they are still caterpillars, but there’s not much out there. I did find one thing that offered some info and tried to sex them and not sure if it worked or it was just luck of the draw. Will see if I can find that again.I lied. The moths are all MALES, not females. I found better pictures online and they clearly are the male variety.