Storing Mulberry leaves

Metric

Winter sucks....and soon im going to have to store a BUNCH of mulberry leaves. Does anyone have any suggestions as to keeping the leaves in best condition for the longest time?

If you are experienced, please give me a detailed answer rather then "keep em in the fridge".......unless it really is that easy. Do you keep em in a vacuum pac? regular plastic container? things like that.

Last time I stored leaves I washed them in cold water and them wraped them between semi damp paper towles, and then placed them into zip-lok freezer bags. I did suck out as much air as I could using a straw before sealing the bags. They were then stored into the crisper drawer in the fridge. I made 5 bags like that and used them over the following weeks, however the last bag was just as fresh as the first bag, so I guess it worked well.

Good luck,
Jay

I have never kept leaves for the winter months... but there is always chow.....

Is there a way to turn the leaves into chow with a DIY recipe? I think that would alot easier then storing leaves lol.

@Malicious: Thanks for the advice, I think that's what im gonna do. I had previously washed them and put them in the freezer, that wasn't one of my brightest ideas lol.

you can dehydrate them and turn them into powder in a food processor. then add water when your ready to feed... at least that is how I understand the concept

I haven't tried it but maybe the Debbie Meyer Green Bags would work well. I've used them on all kinds of produce and they are AMAZING! Even regular iceberg lettuce stays fresh for weeks. It's worth a shot.

As far as I know silkworm chow isn't just ground up leaves. From what I have been told, you need a LOT of leaves... and there are 'fillers' sort of. I was told once that there is soy in the chow. I think. I'll ask around again.

But as far as a DIY I don't know of one, or really know enough about chow to make a DIY.

Back
Top Bottom