Storing insects

stephenr

I'm setting up my terrarium and wondering how are you all storing your insects to feed them? I wanted to keep two types of insects on hand and bring in supplemental ones as needed. Could you guys share some photos?

I was thinking in my garage because it never freezes but was about being dark a lot?

I'm getting a veiled chameleon so I wondering how much food to have on hand and how long it may last. I was thinking a large clear plastic bin with two bins inside with cricks and orange head roaches. I'll buy other treats along the way.

Depending on where you are a garage could be too hot and in the colder months it may be be hard to keep them warm enough. To keep them warm, perhaps an old kitchen cabinet, even better would be an old fridge. Either way, heat pads under each tank but an additional heat source may be needed. If very hot, a frozen 2 liter may be needed. For an adult male veiled, he may not eat adult orange heads but maybe XL Nymphs. I'm guess-timating 6 a day. It's been along time since I had veileds but I think mine ate about 4 - 5 dozen crickets a day.

As for supplemental insects... super worms are cheap for now and again. Our local shop gives us 20 for $1. Petco sells calci- worms. Silkworms can easily be purchased as eggs or worms online.

A forum member here "andee" sells stick bugs, isopods and others as well.

Ok, thank you, I'll keep that in mind, was considering two bins in a larger plastic bin so nothing get's out. I can keep them in a closet on a shelf as well in my work room. Being insects, I don't picture the limited light being an issue, or I can set a timer.

Ok, thank you, I'll keep that in mind, was considering two bins in a larger plastic bin so nothing get's out. I can keep them in a closet on a shelf as well in my work room. Being insects, I don't picture the limited light being an issue, or I can set a timer.

My room stays around 75-80 and I keep 3 large bins , I have one bin with cricks, one has adult/large discoids, and one the there has the smaller discoids (I like to sort them through size) . I always feed em with veggies and fruit and 30-50 pinheads I have stay alive for quite a while, on the other hand my roaches seem to reproduce like crazy :rolleyes::p

I use 10 gallon tanks painted black with the lowest watt Zoo Med heating pads on one side on the bottom with screen tops for dubia and crickets, super worms are in the same painted tank but no heat. On top is a tote full of green banana roaches and Isopods with the same heat pad. The small container is BSFL and I have a big baggie of blue bottle spikes hatching next to the heat lights. I also put the tanks on boards to elevate the heating pads so they are not resting on the carpet or ground. The low watt pads work great so far and I like you don't need a thermostat on them. These are all in a closet in the same room as the tanks. You probably don't need to paint them but I find most feeders like it dark, and the dubia breed better. I sell off when each colony is getting to big to local people.
My male veiled could hoover at least 20+ feeders a day when he was growing, now he is 8 months old and is hormonal and definitely eats a lot less, he eats about 6 to 10 feeders depending on feeder and day. Here is my setup, I also put sticky pads all around for the escapees

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom