Storing bug burgers

Zevil

Avid Member
So recently there's an explosion of grain weevils in my dry gutload. I have been seeing the weevils everywhere, in the roach bins, superworms tub and crawling around on the floor of my room. I kill like a dozen of them a day. So I have been thinking of switching to bug burger, can I make a tub and store it in the refrigerator?

That is how I keep mine. Make it in a Tupperware with a lid. It keeps for about 3 weeks. Recently started adding a couple teaspoons of cricket crack to it also.
Still use fresh veggies and fruits though. Variety is key.

Possible to straight up add the veggies into the mix when making it?

Yes. We do this occassionally and will mix bug burger with other fruits and veggies, spirulina, and bee pollen. Then We freeze it in silicone molds. It melts a little wet, and is not solid/firm, but the bugs eat it quickly.

This accounts for hydration as well I assume? The melted liquid won't be enough to drown the feeders?

I mix 2 scoops of bug burger and 1 scoop of superload in a tupperware and store it in the fridge. I also give them cricket crack as a dry load for when they eat all the burger.

Yall must have a lot of bugs?! I litteraly make a bottom of a coffee cups worth of bug burger a week for over 300 bugs.

I have a red runner colony(a few thousand), a dubia colony(a few thousand), a bunch of crickets that I buy twice a month and also superworms that I buy twice a month. I have a number of animals to feed. I'm now wondering if it's expensive to use bug burger as a main source of gutload.

I use a Tupperware container and use a digital scale to weigh out my bug burger and water I go buy the directions and use 3 parts water to one part burger. I’ve been going with 20 grams of bug burger to 60 grams of water seems to make enough to last my roaches a few weeks but my colony is still rather small. I change out my fresh fruit and veggies and burger every other day to prevent mold.

I mix 3 and a half measuring teaspoons of bug burger to 3 and a half teaspoons of insectfuel Dry along with half teaspoon of bee pollen. Then mix really well. Then add 10 and a half teaspoons of hot water mix thoroughly and microwave for 20 seconds. Mix well and pour into my Tupperware. Lasts me about 6 days unless I have just gotten my dubia in lol.

Is it really necessary to microwave the bug burger and water mix?
I’m sure you don’t have too. I’d recommend heating it though. It’s pretty soupy if you don’t. I microwave mine for a little over a minute so it hardens a little. Makes it a lot easier to work if you want to cut out pieces to feed.

Tha
I mix 3 and a half measuring teaspoons of bug burger to 3 and a half teaspoons of insectfuel Dry along with half teaspoon of bee pollen. Then mix really well. Then add 10 and a half teaspoons of hot water mix thoroughly and microwave for 20 seconds. Mix well and pour into my Tupperware. Lasts me about 6 days unless I have just gotten my dubia in lol.
That’s a good idea mixing the pollen in with the burger. I usually just sprinkle it on top of the burger and fruits and veggies.

Back
Top Bottom