Stopped shedding?

Um so sorry I was being stupid and accidentally posted the ask for help forum on the post called “urgent help needed” 😑😡so sorry!

Again so sorry! Anyways do you know why she stopped shedding? Btw I’m trying to replace the fake plants, get a mist king, and a bigger cage.

So you said that she only shed half of her body... I believe this is normal. They can shed in bits at a time. but I can tag for extra thoughts @AmandaS

Ok this is @LukeTheLizard husbandry review

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, girl, and I have had her for a little over a year.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-2 times a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? My staple feeder is crickets, and I also sometimes feed her superworms, and every once in a while hornworms. I gutload them with fresh veggies an hour or two before I feed them to her, and they get dusted with a calcium supplement without d3 with every feeding (and on the 1st and 15th of every month I do a supplement with d3/multivitamin)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo med repti calcium without d3 with every feeding and on the 1st and 15th of every month I use Repashy superfood vitamin and calcium with d3 supplement.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a manual hand mister three times a day for around a minute (maybe 2 minutes) and yes, I do see her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown poop with whiteish yellowish tint poop attached to it, and it has never been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought her from Petco at about three months old, was healthy when I got her.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen cage, 16x16x30,trying to get a 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The heat light is a 50 watt bulb, for the uvb, it’s a t5 linear uvb, 18 inch, lights on at 8am, off at 8pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?basking is 81 degrees, middle is mid/ low 70s, bottom is high 60s/low 70s. I use a zoo med thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels are about 50 percent, I use a manual mister to create and maintain humidity, and I use a zoo med humidity gauge.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I have one large golden pothos plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On top of my dresser in my room near my bed, not near any fans or vents, low traffic area.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Rochester,NY
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Stopped shedding halfway through
--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

I bolded it to make it easier for you guys :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, girl, and I have had her for a little over a year.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-2 times a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? My staple feeder is crickets, and I also sometimes feed her superworms, and every once in a while hornworms. I gutload them with fresh veggies an hour or two before I feed them to her, and they get dusted with a calcium supplement without d3 with every feeding (and on the 1st and 15th of every month I do a supplement with d3/multivitamin)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo med repti calcium without d3 with every feeding and on the 1st and 15th of every month I use Repashy superfood vitamin and calcium with d3 supplement.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a manual hand mister three times a day for around a minute (maybe 2 minutes) and yes, I do see her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown poop with whiteish yellowish tint poop attached to it, and it has never been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought her from Petco at about three months old, was healthy when I got her.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen cage, 16x16x30,trying to get a 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The heat light is a 50 watt bulb, for the uvb, it’s a t5 linear uvb, 18 inch, lights on at 8am, off at 8pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking is 81 degrees, middle is mid/ low 70s, bottom is high 60s/low 70s. I use a zoo med thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels are about 50 percent, I use a manual mister to create and maintain humidity, and I use a zoo med humidity gauge.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I have one large golden pothos plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On top of my dresser in my room near my bed, not near any fans or vents, low traffic area.
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Stopped shedding halfway through
--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

My feedback and any questions will be in red. I’ll post helpful links and care images at the end. Could you post pics of her full cage (lights to bottom), please?

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-2 times a week. Do you do this because you want to or she wants to (and not because she’s uncomfortable in her cage)?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? My staple feeder is crickets, and I also sometimes feed her superworms, and every once in a while hornworms. I gutload them with fresh veggies an hour or two before I feed them to her, and they get dusted with a calcium supplement without d3 with every feeding (and on the 1st and 15th of every month I do a supplement with d3/multivitamin) What do you gutload with? Could you move the gutload to a few hours before or overnight instead of just one hour before? This will give some slower types of bugs enough time to fill up on the good stuff! Variety is best for feeders and gutload/gutload ingredients! The care images for both are posted below! How often and how much are you feeding her? Higher basking temps and bigger, more frequent meals create bigger egg clutches, shortening females‘ lifespans.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo med repti calcium without d3 with every feeding and on the 1st and 15th of every month I use Repashy superfood vitamin and calcium with d3 supplement. Which Repashy supplement? The Calcium+ LoD or something different? The schedule‘s perfect, though!
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a manual hand mister three times a day for around a minute (maybe 2 minutes) and yes, I do see her drink. Try to only mist her in the morning and late afternoon/night for her daytime mistings when her cage is cooler, if her humidity allows it. Misting sessions should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes long for her daytime mistings.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown poop with whiteish yellowish tint poop attached to it, and it has never been tested for parasites It’s always a good idea to take a fresh fecal sample in to be tested, and make sure to drop off 2-3+ more after that to make sure no parasites were missed. If you can, try to get bloodwork and x-rays done there, as well (by an experienced chameleon only).
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought her from Petco at about three months old, was healthy when I got her. Definitely take her to an experienced chameleon vet if she’s from Petco!
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen cage, 16x16x30,trying to get a 2x2x4. Good, the minimum for adult female veileds is 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or 36” x 18” x 36” tall, though 4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or bigger. Bigger is always better! Do you have a proper and permanent lay bin in her enclosure?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The heat light is a 50 watt bulb, for the uvb, it’s a t5 linear uvb, 18 inch, lights on at 8am, off at 8pm. What strength is the linear UVB bulb, and how old is it? How far away is it from her basking branch? You’ll want to get T5 High Output linear fixture the length of (or a foot longer than) her big cage you’re getting for her. Do you have a Solarmeter 6.5 to measure UVI levels? If not, definitely get one if you can afford it! It’ll give you precise UVI readings on her basking branch (and anything else) and tell you when to replace her linear UVB bulb (when the readings are cut in half).
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?basking is 81 degrees, middle is mid/ low 70s, bottom is high 60s/low 70s. I use a zoo med thermometer. The max basking temp for adult female veileds is 80*F. 78-80*F is preferred (measured where her casque/top of her back is when she’s on her basking branch). What are her nighttime temps? Is your thermometer digital, digital with a probe (needed for basking temp), analog, etc?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels are about 50 percent, I use a manual mister to create and maintain humidity, and I use a zoo med humidity gauge. Is the gauge digital or analog? Veileds need between 30-50% during the day and up to 100% at night. At night you can use a fogger/cool mist or ultrasonic humidifier to raise nighttime levels for natural hydration! Just make sure to properly clean it, its tubes, and any other accessories used thoroughly and often (i.e. 1-2x a week minimum!)!
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I have one large golden pothos plant. As it was mentioned before, live plants only. Take out all fake ones ASAP! She needs more branches, vines, and live plants, too! I’ve posted two cage set-up links below. Make sure all live plants are chameleon-safe and prepared beforehand, including properly cleaning the plants and putting rocks too big for her to eat over the soil in the pots.

Here are the links and care images (make sure to read through all modules and listen to as many podcast episodes as possible from The Chameleon Academy, as they have the most accurate and up-to-date info!):
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html

Attachments

• 42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 54
  • chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 49
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 53
My feedback and any questions will be in red. I’ll post helpful links and care images at the end. Could you post pics of her full cage (lights to bottom), please?

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 1-2 times a week. Do you do this because you want to or she wants to (and not because she’s uncomfortable in her cage)? I only take her out either to show her to my friends or every once in a while when I haven't held her in a long time. but she never wants to come out so I have to trick her by holding a superworm in my hand and then she crawls onto my hand while she is trying to get it. (So I never ever force her out)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? My staple feeder is crickets, and I also sometimes feed her superworms, and every once in a while hornworms. I gutload them with fresh veggies an hour or two before I feed them to her, and they get dusted with a calcium supplement without d3 with every feeding (and on the 1st and 15th of every month I do a supplement with d3/multivitamin) What do you gutload with? Could you move the gutload to a few hours before or overnight instead of just one hour before? This will give some slower types of bugs enough time to fill up on the good stuff! Variety is best for feeders and gutload/gutload ingredients! The care images for both are posted below! How often and how much are you feeding her? Higher basking temps and bigger, more frequent meals create bigger egg clutches, shortening females‘ lifespans. I only feed her about four crickets and one superworm every other day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo med repti calcium without d3 with every feeding and on the 1st and 15th of every month I use Repashy superfood vitamin and calcium with d3 supplement. Which Repashy supplement? The Calcium+ LoD or something different? The schedule‘s perfect, though! I use the calcium plus.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a manual hand mister three times a day for around a minute (maybe 2 minutes) and yes, I do see her drink. Try to only mist her in the morning and late afternoon/night for her daytime mistings when her cage is cooler, if her humidity allows it. Misting sessions should be a minimum of 2-5+ minutes long for her daytime mistings. got it!
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown poop with whiteish yellowish tint poop attached to it, and it has never been tested for parasites It’s always a good idea to take a fresh fecal sample in to be tested, and make sure to drop off 2-3+ more after that to make sure no parasites were missed. If you can, try to get bloodwork and x-rays done there, as well (by an experienced chameleon only). yeah I have been trying to do that just never got around to it. I'm going to try and do it soon though!😊
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought her from Petco at about three months old, was healthy when I got her. Definitely take her to an experienced chameleon vet if she’s from Petco!
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?screen cage, 16x16x30,trying to get a 2x2x4. Good, the minimum for adult female veileds is 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or 36” x 18” x 36” tall, though 4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or bigger. Bigger is always better! Do you have a proper and permanent lay bin in her enclosure?yes I do!
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The heat light is a 50 watt bulb, for the uvb, it’s a t5 linear uvb, 18 inch, lights on at 8am, off at 8pm. What strength is the linear UVB bulb, and how old is it? How far away is it from her basking branch? You’ll want to get T5 High Output linear fixture the length of (or a foot longer than) her big cage you’re getting for her. Do you have a Solarmeter 6.5 to measure UVI levels? If not, definitely get one if you can afford it! It’ll give you precise UVI readings on her basking branch (and anything else) and tell you when to replace her linear UVB bulb (when the readings are cut in half). it's a 5.0, nd it's very new, just got it a week ago. Yeah I really want to get one it's just that it's very expensive.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?basking is 81 degrees, middle is mid/ low 70s, bottom is high 60s/low 70s. I use a zoo med thermometer. The max basking temp for adult female veileds is 80*F. 78-80*F is preferred (measured where her casque/top of her back is when she’s on her basking branch). What are her nighttime temps? Is your thermometer digital, digital with a probe (needed for basking temp), analog, etc? measures the top of her back/casque and it's 81 degrees. Nighttime temps are mid/low 60s. The thermometer is digital with a probe.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels are about 50 percent, I use a manual mister to create and maintain humidity, and I use a zoo med humidity gauge. Is the gauge digital or analog? Veileds need between 30-50% during the day and up to 100% at night. At night you can use a fogger/cool mist or ultrasonic humidifier to raise nighttime levels for natural hydration! Just make sure to properly clean it, its tubes, and any other accessories used thoroughly and often (i.e. 1-2x a week minimum!)!humidity gauge is an analog, and the humidity measurements are what you said except at nighttime it's about 80 percent. Trying to get a mist king and fogger.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I have one large golden pothos plant. As it was mentioned before, live plants only. Take out all fake ones ASAP! She needs more branches, vines, and live plants, too! I’ve posted two cage set-up links below. Make sure all live plants are chameleon-safe and prepared beforehand, including properly cleaning the plants and putting rocks too big for her to eat over the soil in the pots.going tI get a spider plant and more on this and maybe an umbrella plant to replace those fake ones. Going to put rocks on soil.

Here are the links and care images (make sure to read through all modules and listen to as many podcast episodes as possible from The Chameleon Academy, as they have the most accurate and up-to-date info!):
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html

-With her feedings you’ll want to follow The Chameleon Academy’s schedule.
-What do you gutload with?
-Is it the plain Calcium Plus?
-The linear UVB bulb strength is perfect! How far away is it from her basking branch? Make sure to replace the Zoo Med 5.0 bulbs every 6 months. You can get Arcadia 6% bulbs next time, they only need to be replaced yearly. Though the Solarmeter is still recommended to make sure there aren’t any defective bulbs or if the bulb doesn’t need to be replaced after 6 months/ a year.
-How far away is her basking bulb from her basking branch, too?
-Try to raise her basking bulb and fixture up a little bit so it doesn’t go past 80*F
-Nighttime temps are great!
-Humidity levels are great, as long as the hygrometer is correct. Get a digital one ASAP

-With her feedings you’ll want to follow The Chameleon Academy’s schedule. got it!
-What do you gutload with? fresh veggies!(such as the one in the gutloading picture on here)
-Is it the plain Calcium Plus? I think so.
-The linear UVB bulb strength is perfect! How far away is it from her basking branch? Make sure to replace the Zoo Med 5.0 bulbs every 6 months. You can get Arcadia 6% bulbs next time, they only need to be replaced yearly. Though the Solarmeter is still recommended to make sure there aren’t any defective bulbs or if the bulb doesn’t need to be replaced after 6 months/ a year. It's not far away from the basking branch, and the next time I get a new UVB, I will get the arcadia one! and I already have some things on my list for her,(mist king, fogger, bigger cage,) but I will try and get that too!
-How far away is her basking bulb from her basking branch, too? 8 inches, possibly nine.
-Try to raise her basking bulb and fixture up a little bit so it doesn’t go past 80*F its only one degree to high,(what are the chances?!) but i will do that right away!
-Nighttime temps are great! Yay!
-Humidity levels are great, as long as the hygrometer is correct. Get a digital one ASAP got it! those aren't very expensive, so i will get one right away!

Just be careful with the Calcium Plus, it is known to cause edema, especially in female veileds. Switch to the LoD version (which can also cause it) or a different type of supplement if you want to. How far away is her basking branch from the UVB bulb (this will also help determine how much D3 should be given)?

Got it. when I run out of the calcium plus (which I am very low on) i will switch to the LoD version.
the UVB is about ten and a half inches away.

Back
Top Bottom