stopped eating

gamato8

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled 8-9 months old.
Handling - very limited
Feeding - Crickets 3/4, superworms, wax worms, dubias. Cup fed but has a few escapees to hunt. Gut loaded with carrots, green beans, fruit, flukers dry mix, and the occasional lettuce.
Supplements - D3 calcium every other week, calcium without D3 every feeding. MultiVit. Every other week
Watering - 3-4 Mistings a day about 1 minute+ each. he drinks the water from the spray. I also have a little dripper.
Fecal Description - poo has been great white urates, solid dark fecal, but lately no poo!
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History - He is usually a veracious eater

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Custom built mesh 20x20x38. indoors
Lighting - 12 on 12 off, powersun combo 10.0
Temperature - 87-90 basking 74-76 ambient 80-83 mid cage
Humidity -50-80% peaks and valleys
Plants - Two pothos, various fake vines
Placement - living room, quiet area.
Location - central Texas

Current Problem - He just stopped eating! ive tried switching feeders, wont hand feed, wont hunt prey on mesh walls, no poo that I have seen. he looks great and healthy ive made sure he is getting plenty of water. He last shed about a weeks ago. Hasn't eaten now for about 5-6 days. I have had him outside a bunch to get him some sun also. any help?

At that age, they sometimes just go on what we call "hunger strikes". Don't offer him food for a few days and try feeding him again. I was going to say to get a fecal done to check for parasites, but there is no poop so I know that is kinda hard. Chameleons can be very frustrating to keep at times as far as feeding goes.

"Hunger strikes" are the worst! All mine scare me from time to time. My male nosey be likes to keep me on my toes. He's not a picky eater but if I give him supers.. That's all he wants for days. Little bugger!! Haha! I hope your little one starts eating for you again soon. This is pretty normal though. :)

OK. That's makes me feel a lot better. What is the average time it takes to get their appetites back?

just wanted to give an update. I took the food away for 2 days. put in a couple superworms and was uninterested. same with a couple crickets. took them back out for another day. just put a superworm in on the screen wall and he ate it! but I put a couple more in and he went straight to basking and not caring. seems maybe I am headed in the right direction. any help for speeding this up?

just wanted to give an update. I took the food away for 2 days. put in a couple superworms and was uninterested. same with a couple crickets. took them back out for another day. just put a superworm in on the screen wall and he ate it! but I put a couple more in and he went straight to basking and not caring. seems maybe I am headed in the right direction. any help for speeding this up?

Im going through the same as you just now. I thought my 8-9 month female panther was sick or gravid as she hadnt been eating, I took her to the vets and she looks healthy and isnt carrying any eggs.

Shes been off food now for the past month or so and only eating occasionally/ every other day. I wouldnt stress too much if he looks healthy.

Im just curious as to how people get calcium to them when theyre not eating? My vet gave me a syringe to put a droplet of water containing a tiny amount of calcium onto the chams lipa to lick off every other day.

Back
Top Bottom