still water??

Like the one on top or the one on bottom?

IMG_6406RS.jpg

i hang it in the middle of the cage, so where ever she sits, she will have full benefit of it. btw she cant climb on it

to be honest all animals drink from bowls. i no loadz of people on HERE that let their chameleons drink from a bowl.
However,
I've always had doubts about misting anything above a 2 month old hatchling
All of my animals get all their water without resorting to spraying.
We all know that they don't like getting sprayed or showered for that matter.
IMO it's source of stress that often goes unmentioned when the solution is giving the poor things water.

I don't want to spark another heated argument here. Frankly, this is an old debate, and one that will probably never be conclusively over.

But after reading numerous posts in the past couple of days about chams closing their eyes, cham eye-bulging and cleaning their eyes, and chams with eye-infections, I just wanted to add some information about the benefit of misting chams.

Misting allows the cham to clean itself: its eyes and its skin. It also helps clean the cage of dust and other debris (although it is no substitute for a thorough regular cleaning).

Misting also aids in increasing the humidity of the enclosure far more than a bowl of water would.

Basically, misting/spraying is meant to simulate the rainfall that chameleons would be exposed to in the wild. Even in the arid deserts of Southern Africa where Chameleo Namaquensis resides, there is rainfall (anyone who's ever witnessed the spectacular annual appearance of the Namaqualand flowers will attest to this).
People often call the Veiled chameleon a desert species, but even in Yemen there is a fair amount of annual rainfall:
"There are two rainy seasons for most of the Yemen. Namely march/april and july/august.... ....Rain normally falls in the form of thunder-showers, heavy and short" (from 'Shrubland Management in Tribal Islamic Yemen' by M. Herzog, February 1998.)
'Heavy and short': sounds like a misting session to me...

Anyway, the chameleons probably don't enjoy being rained on. Maybe it does cause a degree of stress and discomfort. But that's not necessarily unnatural. In the wild they would probably take shelter under foliage or branches in trees - just like birds do, and just like humans do (watch people at an outdoor function scurry for cover as it starts to rain) - and just like chameleons do in their enclosures when the mister starts to go off.

Water left in bowls poses quite a few problems: it can stagnate and bacteria can form, chameleons tend to try poop in them, insects can drown in them (even chams can drown in them!).
And I don't think that it really mimics nature well either. In a study that was done in Maui on feral Veiled chameleons, they found that over a period of 72 days, there was only one single incident of a chameleon descending to the ground out of the trees - and that was only for a very short trip to the next tree. So where would chams find standing pools of water to drink in nature? They're not the sort of thing you find up in the treetops.

Even Johann van Fischer, writing over 100 years ago, concluded that of the hundreds of chameleons he kept over the years, only a few of them responded well to drinking from bowls of water.

In conclusion, I am not saying you shouldn't use a water bowl for your cham. It works for some people. All I'm saying is that using bowls of water brings with it added complications, and none of the benefits that a more natural method like misting would bring.
(And like I said at the beginning of my post, I'm not trying to attack anyone nor start an argument - I'm just posting my own view on watering strategies)

well my chameleon is one of those few out of one hundred that likes to drink from her bowl-------end of---------

Back
Top Bottom