Still unsure about UVB distances... help?

WobbleWobble93

I'm fairly confident in my ability to care for my chameleons (male and female but separate enclosures of course) but I'm still not 100% sure I have the correct distance for my UVB. I have talked to a lot of people on Reddit, I asked my vet, I asked the seller, I read up on info on ChameleonHusbandry.com but everyone is giving different distances and I'm so confused now... I've had people suggest 6" and I've had people suggest 15" which, let's be honest, is too much of a difference and leaves too room for error. If someone can be so kind as to tell me a definite answer based on my lights info? I'd appreciate it a lot! Sorry for being too dumb to figure it out myself. I'd rather ask other people who have chameleons that's why I'm asking here.

Both my chameleons have the T5, 24 watt, 6% uvb output. Right now it's 9" away from the chameleons backs. Is this enough or do I need to raise it more? The light is right on top of the screen. If it's better to raise it from the screen to add more distance, I can arrange that but I'd prefer if they could stay on top of the screen enclosures.
IF I have to raise off of the screen top, then please tell me how much I have to raise it and how much there has to still be distance between the light and my chameleons.

Sorry for my poor English. I also normally work with the metric system but nobody else seems to so.. inches is fine too, I can convert it in Google.

PS: I can give all the other details from enclosure to feeding but I don't think that's relevant now because I'm mainly concerned about UVB distances.

Thanks for reading!

Forgot to add: I have Veiled chameleons

I'm fairly confident in my ability to care for my chameleons (male and female but separate enclosures of course) but I'm still not 100% sure I have the correct distance for my UVB. I have talked to a lot of people on Reddit, I asked my vet, I asked the seller, I read up on info on ChameleonHusbandry.com but everyone is giving different distances and I'm so confused now... I've had people suggest 6" and I've had people suggest 15" which, let's be honest, is too much of a difference and leaves too room for error. If someone can be so kind as to tell me a definite answer based on my lights info? I'd appreciate it a lot! Sorry for being too dumb to figure it out myself. I'd rather ask other people who have chameleons that's why I'm asking here.

Both my chameleons have the T5, 24 watt, 6% uvb output. Right now it's 9" away from the chameleons backs. Is this enough or do I need to raise it more? The light is right on top of the screen. If it's better to raise it from the screen to add more distance, I can arrange that but I'd prefer if they could stay on top of the screen enclosures.
IF I have to raise off of the screen top, then please tell me how much I have to raise it and how much there has to still be distance between the light and my chameleons.

Sorry for my poor English. I also normally work with the metric system but nobody else seems to so.. inches is fine too, I can convert it in Google.

PS: I can give all the other details from enclosure to feeding but I don't think that's relevant now because I'm mainly concerned about UVB distances.

Thanks for reading!

Forgot to add: I have Veiled chameleons
So with single bulb T5HO fixtures and a 6% bulb going through regular cage screen mesh... Your looking for 8-9 inches to the branch measured from the bottom of the fixture. This will then put the cham in a 3 UVI level.

Are they babies that are climbing the top screen? If so yes you would want to raise it. If not then you can lay it directly on the cage top. Now if you need to raise it... You are raising it 4 inches off the top. So you would measure from screen to bottom of fixture for the 4 inches then they need a branch hooked in 5 inches below the screen. For a total distance of 9 inches. This way at the screen they are in a safe 6UVI level and at the branch they are still in that 3 UVI range.

Avoid all other websites and reddit. Come here and utilize chameleonacademy.com

So with single bulb T5HO fixtures and a 6% bulb going through regular cage screen mesh... Your looking for 8-9 inches to the branch measured from the bottom of the fixture. This will then put the cham in a 3 UVI level.

Are they babies that are climbing the top screen? If so yes you would want to raise it. If not then you can lay it directly on the cage top. Now if you need to raise it... You are raising it 4 inches off the top. So you would measure from screen to bottom of fixture for the 4 inches then they need a branch hooked in 5 inches below the screen. For a total distance of 9 inches. This way at the screen they are in a safe 6UVI level and at the branch they are still in that 3 UVI range.

Avoid all other websites and reddit. Come here and utilize chameleonacademy.com
Thanks a lot!! I appreciate it :)
I'm glad to know my 9" was good all along, that's a relief. I might want to raise it off the screen like you said because then I could add more plants and sticks. Both my chameleons are adults although they couldn't give me an exact date when they were born. The male is a little over a year I think and the female a bit older, about 2 years. Neither one climbs the top of the screen enclosure that's why I figured it was safe to add the lights right on top of the enclosure. I'm just really glad I seem to be doing it right :)

Thanks again for the information and easing my worries! :) I will also avoid reddit from now on, most people have very, very sad chameleon enclosures... Here, people are kind, helpful and most enclosures and chameleons here look good at least! So, thanks again, appreciate it 🙏

Thanks a lot!! I appreciate it :)
I'm glad to know my 9" was good all along, that's a relief. I might want to raise it off the screen like you said because then I could add more plants and sticks. Both my chameleons are adults although they couldn't give me an exact date when they were born. The male is a little over a year I think and the female a bit older, about 2 years. Neither one climbs the top of the screen enclosure that's why I figured it was safe to add the lights right on top of the enclosure. I'm just really glad I seem to be doing it right :)

Thanks again for the information and easing my worries! :) I will also avoid reddit from now on, most people have very, very sad chameleon enclosures... Here, people are kind, helpful and most enclosures and chameleons here look good at least! So, thanks again, appreciate it 🙏
So you want it 9 inches to the branch though not their backs...

IF they are adults you do not want them any closer to the screen. They can rub their casque against it and cause wounds. So keep it 8-9 to the branches below from the fixture sitting on the screen. So you are measuring from screen to branch. And again this is based on standard aluminum screen being used with this fixture and bulb type to get these UVI levels at branch. Anything different used changes the UVI.

Do make sure your heat fixture is raised... Thermal burns are very high risk especially with veileds and their casque height. Your looking for a basking level of 80-85 max for your male and 78-80 max for your female.

If you have questions we are happy to help. And like I said Chameleon Academy is the place to go for in depth info on all husbandry including cage setup.

So you want it 9 inches to the branch though not their backs...

IF they are adults you do not want them any closer to the screen. They can rub their casque against it and cause wounds. So keep it 8-9 to the branches below from the fixture sitting on the screen. So you are measuring from screen to branch. And again this is based on standard aluminum screen being used with this fixture and bulb type to get these UVI levels at branch. Anything different used changes the UVI.

Do make sure your heat fixture is raised... Thermal burns are very high risk especially with veileds and their casque height. Your looking for a basking level of 80-85 max for your male and 78-80 max for your female.

If you have questions we are happy to help. And like I said Chameleon Academy is the place to go for in depth info on all husbandry including cage setup.
Oh, alright. I thought it was 9" from their backs to the uvb so I'll see to change that tonight. Thanks for clearing up that small misunderstanding. I do keep my female a bit colder than my male and so far their basking spots and ambient temps and night temp are on point. Thanks for caring enough to make sure I'm keeping them right :)

I do like chameleonhusbandry. I guess I'll take my weekend to read up some more.

Oh, alright. I thought it was 9" from their backs to the uvb so I'll see to change that tonight. Thanks for clearing up that small misunderstanding. I do keep my female a bit colder than my male and so far their basking spots and ambient temps and night temp are on point. Thanks for caring enough to make sure I'm keeping them right :)

I do like chameleonhusbandry. I guess I'll take my weekend to read up some more.

We are talking about a 3" variance lol. Plus bulb strength and reflector degrees vary alot over time. So its easier to say to a person without a meter "9" from branch" vs trying to figure out how the chameleon basks. I mean some are still horizonal baskers, and will just lean and be at branch level to get full side of sun, while others are lazy and will just lay on the branch only holding on by a few feet.

And you still want branches everywhere, you are only worried about tuning the topmost basking branch. You still want plenty of branches all the way down to mid cage. These are "shade lizards" after all.

And a meter will still pay for itself if you have at least two lizards, just in bulb replacement frequency. I can get some times 3 years out of a bulb before its output halves, and i can rotate out the 10.0 into the 5.0 tank once the 10.0 halves. Like wise the 5.0 can be rotated into the anole/gecko tank or be used as a 6500k bulb once its output halves. You might get 10 years out of a good bulb before it cant be used as even a 6500k unit.

We are talking about a 3" variance lol. Plus bulb strength and reflector degrees vary alot over time. So its easier to say to a person without a meter "9" from branch" vs trying to figure out how the chameleon basks. I mean some are still horizonal baskers, and will just lean and be at branch level to get full side of sun, while others are lazy and will just lay on the branch only holding on by a few feet.

And you still want branches everywhere, you are only worried about tuning the topmost basking branch. You still want plenty of branches all the way down to mid cage. These are "shade lizards" after all.

And a meter will still pay for itself if you have at least two lizards, just in bulb replacement frequency. I can get some times 3 years out of a bulb before its output halves, and i can rotate out the 10.0 into the 5.0 tank once the 10.0 halves. Like wise the 5.0 can be rotated into the anole/gecko tank or be used as a 6500k bulb once its output halves. You might get 10 years out of a good bulb before it cant be used as even a 6500k unit.
They've got plenty of branches already but I'm gonna add more this weekend. I know a solar meter would come in handy but they're about 200-300 euros...Not something I can buy right now as I've got more important costs but it's definitely something I want to get one day. Hopefully soon

This is because that sub tries to base all of its info from here and and a couple other great sources! There are no made up techniques or imaginary uvb distance numbers. Glad you found your way here.

This measurement with a single bulb T5HO fixture and the 6% bulb going through regular aluminum window screen material ends up putting their bodies in a 3 UVI. It will range a bit depending on how new your bulb is. Brand new bulb you will get a bit higher but still well within safe levels. As you move passed that 9 inch distance your UVI level drops quite a bit until eventually there is no exposure. So this is where having your main basking level being 8-9 inches below the UVB bulb lets them choose the level of exposure without being in over exposure levels. THen going down you have multiple branches this then lets them get out of the UVI as well. While it is not perfect and there are variables based on bulb, fixture type, and screen this is the most accurate info we can give for you to get to that sweet spot of a 3 UVI level.

Back
Top Bottom