Still not 100% on sex

Hello All,
I posted a few months ago asking if you all could help with confirming my son's Panther's sex. He purchased a Juvenile male and came June 11th labeled as a male but we are not so sure actually got a male anymore. I did get some responses from here last time and most said male although one did say thought female. We originally thought maybe slow to mature and get colors and had hoped with the next shed would get them, well Picasso has had 2 sheds since then and really no colors - just warm orange ish colors to browns with white lines along sides when a little upset. Occasionally some greenish colors and Now the last couple days have noticed the the whiter marks are now pink tones. Picasso is now approximately 10 months old ( we estimated hatch date was between mid-end Feb). My son very much thinks now that Picasso is actually female. He doesnt totally care if happens to be female He loves Picasso no matter what in fact we all do. We are just asking again just for a piece of mind. Thank You in advance for your help. I am attaching a couple pictures I took tonight. They are not great as he was walking to his sleeping spot and taken with a phone. IMG_5292.jpg IMG_5294.jpg IMG_5292.jpg IMG_5293.jpg

Looking at the pics in the other thread I have to agree with the person that told you female. Then if you look at these ones here the tail base is thin not thicker indicating female... You would see a bulge there if it was a male. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2013/04/male-or-female-how-to-sex-baby-panther.html
That is what we thought and yet sometimes depending on how standing Picasso looks like a small bulge - Thank You for your thoughts on him or should I say her! Either way Picasso is happy and healthy so in my son's eyes thats all that he cares about

That is what we thought and yet sometimes depending on how standing Picasso looks like a small bulge - Thank You for your thoughts on him or should I say her! Either way Picasso is happy and healthy so in my son's eyes thats all that he cares about
and the link that you shared - if scroll to the picture of the adult female - those are the colors Picasso turns at times!

and the link that you shared - if scroll to the picture of the adult female - those are the colors Picasso turns at times!
You know about females laying infertile eggs and needing a lay bin correct? That their feeding amounts need to be correct along with basking temp no hotter then 79-80.

You know about females laying infertile eggs and needing a lay bin correct? That their feeding amounts need to be correct along with basking temp no hotter then 79-80.
I was just speaking with my son and he did mention that she would need something for laying eggs. I am sure he has done the research for the feeding and right now the basking area is usually between 82 - 85 but i will make sure lowers that then. For my knowledge at what age would a female reach egg laying point?

I was just speaking with my son and he did mention that she would need something for laying eggs. I am sure he has done the research for the feeding and right now the basking area is usually between 82 - 85 but i will make sure lowers that then. For my knowledge at what age would a female reach egg laying point?
Well this kind of depends on how much you've been feeding her, basking temps but 6 month is when they "mature"

Well this kind of depends on how much you've been feeding her, basking temps but 6 month is when they "mature"
basking temps are usually between 82-85 during day and he feeds daily at least 4-5 roaches and 4-5 crickets in a feeder but doesnt always eat all the crickets some do escape feeder but will later hunt them. seems to shed around every 4-5 weeks so eating slows very little around those times.

@AnamCara @MissSkittles @AmandaS
Can you lovely ladies please help this member with specifics for Females such as feeding, temps, and lay bin. The why's of it all etc.

I just tagged a few of our experienced members in. They all have females and know the exacts of female specific care.

Ok I think I am more confused now after reading these threads but will pass on to my son. Picasso's basking temps are for the most part mid 80's and is a really good eater eats at least 5 roaches (my son has his own breeding colony and gut loads the ones feeding for at least 24 hours before feeds) daily some days 1 or 2 less but also gets crickets not that Picasso picks the crickets over the roaches. once in a while will only get the roaches because dont have the crickets. He feeds around the same time daily. Picasso never looks fat ( at least not to me) and on a normal day is in different spots throughout the day. Lower vines when going to bathroom, basking spot usually morning - very early afternoon and sleeps usually about center of enclosure. about mid enclosure is between 70-75 and humidity ranges throughout the day depending on when his mister goes off - has a mist king that is set i think for 5 mistings - 7:45 (30 sec) 10:30 (1 min) 12:45 (20 sec) 2:45 (1 min) and 4:30 (30 sec) - again I think that is what it does. Picasso should be almost or around 10 months old - now my question is should we worry since around that age and if female and if what I am reading is saying everything we are doing could possibly cause them to lay eggs and that they can start around 6 months - that Picasso has NOT done this?
I am sorry for all the questions and I appreciate Everyones help! My son has done all the research and care for Chameleons long before he ever got the first one from the expo (although it did pass 6 weeks later) but I am trying to learn with him. I do say my son but I also want you to know he is not a child he is 18 so I did not allow a young child to embark on this journey. Again thank you for sharing your knowledge with me

So, yes, basking spot shouldn't go higher than 80-81, and she should be getting about 3 large feeders (or equivalent) 3 days a week, to cut down on egg production.
Also I think you're misting too much. You should have a long misting session in the morning, before lights on (around 3-5 minutes). And the same for after lights off.
She only needs her basking light for a few hours a day, not all day long.
She does need a lay bin made with moist play sand. Moist enough to hold a tunnel but not soaking wet.
It is best to have warm, dry days and cool, humid nights. I like my nighttime humidity to rise to 100% and my nighttime temps to drop to 60 degrees.

At around 10 months he/she should be showing clear indications of being male/female. My guess would say female especially at that age, but It hard to get a concept of her/his size and tail with the pictures posted above. Can you try to post up clear pics and we can better confirm.

Ok I think I am more confused now after reading these threads but will pass on to my son. Picasso's basking temps are for the most part mid 80's and is a really good eater eats at least 5 roaches (my son has his own breeding colony and gut loads the ones feeding for at least 24 hours before feeds) daily some days 1 or 2 less but also gets crickets not that Picasso picks the crickets over the roaches. once in a while will only get the roaches because dont have the crickets. He feeds around the same time daily. Picasso never looks fat ( at least not to me) and on a normal day is in different spots throughout the day. Lower vines when going to bathroom, basking spot usually morning - very early afternoon and sleeps usually about center of enclosure. about mid enclosure is between 70-75 and humidity ranges throughout the day depending on when his mister goes off - has a mist king that is set i think for 5 mistings - 7:45 (30 sec) 10:30 (1 min) 12:45 (20 sec) 2:45 (1 min) and 4:30 (30 sec) - again I think that is what it does. Picasso should be almost or around 10 months old - now my question is should we worry since around that age and if female and if what I am reading is saying everything we are doing could possibly cause them to lay eggs and that they can start around 6 months - that Picasso has NOT done this?
I am sorry for all the questions and I appreciate Everyones help! My son has done all the research and care for Chameleons long before he ever got the first one from the expo (although it did pass 6 weeks later) but I am trying to learn with him. I do say my son but I also want you to know he is not a child he is 18 so I did not allow a young child to embark on this journey. Again thank you for sharing your knowledge with me
Hi! Picasso is a lovely little lady. 🥰 I love the more subtle beauty of lady panthers. Unfortunately, I have not yet had any experience with them...only veileds. I’m not sure if they mature a bit later than veileds. In nature the veileds tend to only survive for a year, so they have to mature pretty quickly. Hopefully one of our members who has experience with panther ladies can weigh in. @jannb @kinyonga @salty dog

Seems little small, otherwise beautiful girl. And when it comes to eggs she will have them depending on food and heat, but you should already have laying bin ready as panther girls can have eggs as soon as 6 months old.

And as you said being pinkish, means she is ready, if it is her first time and there is no male at sight, she may stay pinkish a while, even 3, 4 weeks, but then she will have eggs, As soon as she stops eating and you will see her walking all around the enclosure looking restless, she will need the bin.

I care for my panther girls the same as my veiled girls. Temps 82 to 84 for basking and feed 3 or 4 feeders (depending on the size of the feeder) three times a week.
That is what her basking temps are but she eats more than that - my son feeds her daily smaller size roaches and small crickets usually like 5 of each

Back
Top Bottom